Skip to main content

Perhaps the most exciting time of the year here at the hsbbweb.

Think about it for a moment... Our entire website is dedicated to this moment... seeing our kids play at the next level. Post here now and often

Let us know how you feel about dropping your kids off. Let us know about the challenges and let us know about that "first" "college" base hit or that "first" "college" strikeout. Let us know how next summer's college summer league placement is going. If it is the Cape that is great but if it is any college league, that is great as well. Ask your kids what is different about college ball versus high school ball and travel ball and let us know

One of the most exciting phone calls I ever received was when my son called that he had two base hits in his first college fall season game.

Simply let us know what is going on now and in the next coming months... all perspectives are welcome!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OK, Dan. I'll start.

Son went to summer school with most of his fellow freshmen teammates. The conditioning coach put them through daily workouts that were intense, purposeful, and fun. The guys were given the run of the stadium and facilities for unsupervised throwing and hitting every day.

After summer school, he had six days off in mid-August, then began fall classes last week.

So far, he is in heaven.

He is totally impressed by the professional staff, especially the conditioning coach, on whom he has imprinted like a baby duckling. The conditioning coach said he can make him as strong as he wants to get, so he's doing extra workouts to test the theory.

He likes his teammates, roommate, and suite mates. All the frosh players live in the same wing of the same dorm. They have good work ethics and he never has trouble finding a partner for extra throwing or stretching work. Says he could never go back to being the only guy on the team who really wants it like he was in high school.

The schoolwork is much harder than high school. Mandatory supervised study hall is a good thing. He's real glad of the cushion he has from summer school and his AP work from high school so he doesn't have to take such heavy course loads during the school year.

The food in the athletes cafeteria is amazing. He's been hitting the free protein shakes pretty hard.

The upperclassmen players are grown men and very strong. (When college coaches tell recruits they'll be able to compete for playing time right away, they don't always mention that they'll be competing against guys who have already been through the fire of extreme testing and conditioning. There's a reason most freshmen sit.)

The baseball coaches aren't allowed to work with the players until official practices begin next month, so he has no idea where he stands baseball-wise. Everybody understands that the arrival of a new coaching staff that didn't recruit them means everyone has to earn everything from scratch.

He seems tired, busy, and happy. He knows it's going to be hard, but he thinks he's in the place that gives him his best chance to develop and improve.
quote:
Originally posted by Swampboy:
He is totally impressed by the professional staff, especially the conditioning coach, on whom he has imprinted like a baby duckling.

I know that guy Smile, and I beleive it when recently told me that the best thing a freshman can do is get acclimated by attending summer school and begin conditioning.

Those studs coming out of HS look like little kids compared to most upperclassman. Eek
Last edited by TPM
I'll be honest here and say that when I saw this Thread started by CD I had a mixed bag of emotion. My first instinct was to smile. I remember the flood of emotion I had 3yrs ago with anxiousness, sadness, and great pride to be able to reply to such a thread.

My son was just now a new freshman beginning the dream of his life - college baseball. Away from home the first time. Making new friends and teammates. Embarking into his first chapter as a young adult.

3 long years of many twists and turns have past. The things I thought would happen and Id LIKE to see, well, some have and some haven't. For instance I remember taking the stance that when you commit to some THING, i.e. program, coach, etc. that you stand by it no matter what happens. Don't get me wrong, I still believe in that but little did I know that I couldn't see the UNFORSEEN things that my son would go through and cause me to see things in a different light. There was a certain Member on here at the time who tried to convince Me to be more open and I wouldn't have nothing to do with it. I wish I could remember his name so that today I could apologize to him.

Any new mom and dad whose son is away for the first time this fall...it's an exciting time for your son. He has a new world that is opening up to him that is unlike anything he has faced before. New responsibilities, choices, decisions, friends, classes, Professors, peer pressure, et al. They are "sizing" themselves up with the Upper classmen and all the other players on the team. They haven't a clue what will be expected of them when fall practice begins. How the competition will be stout. The conditioning will be ramped up. The tiny innuendos and quirks that the Upper classman will place upon them as frosh players.

When you call your players and they don't have much to say about things, don't force it. They may be dealing with some things that they're not ready to open up to you about just now. Just send them encouraging texts and emails supporting and loving them. When they want to talk they will call YOU. I promise. They will have some struggles - on the field and off. With Professors, coaches, and yes - teammates. Let them learn how to handle these things on their own. If they want your advise, they will seek it.

If you've heard it once here on HSBBW, you've probably heard it 100,000 times but let me be the one who tells you that 100,001 time. Please, if nothing else, make sure your son is taking classes that are towards his degree and NOT classes that are recommended by a coach just to keep him eligible to play in the spring. Today my son should be a Senior and he will be a Junior. He learned he hard way. Not for only this reason trust me but it contributed to it.

Good luck to your sons this fall and this year. I know there is a large amount of anxiousness on all your hearts and minds. It's the "unknown" that is the culprit! I know.

I am just blessed with the many friends on here who have supported me and my son these past 3yrs on his journey, and know how thankful and blessed I am today to be able to say that I am so glad that my son is HAVING a College fall season this year. God has been good to us all and my son is a better young man today for all he has been through.

If there are any parents on here who want/need advise on something new, please feel free to send me a PM. I'm pretty sure that I've been through it and might have something on the subject to say..lol.

Good luck to all!

YGD
Last edited by YoungGunDad
We dropped our son off at school on Saturday. He took a class earlier this summer and was able to get familiar with the lay of the land. He said the class was a lot of work but is glad that he went as he now has an idea of what is expected of him in the classroom. He found out Friday that he got his high school jersey number and can't wait for baseball to get started.

YGD - Thanks for the offer of advice, I may take you up on it some day.
For the first time in a long time, there is no fall season. The four years of competition are over, and he is in the "victory lap" as he calls it, to finish the 5 classes remaining due to the multiple transfers.

I think it is our friend Coach B25 whose signature reads "if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans". The journey certainly did not follow the roadmap we thought we had laid out in the spring/summer of 2011. In hindsight, would there have been some things done differently? Absolutely. Definitely some negatives in every stop along the way. However, the positives win in a landslide, even in the first (and worst) situation. He grew up, he made amazing friends and contacts, and still managed to maintain good grades, and prove to himself and those that doubted him, he put in the work, played at a high level, and was recognized for it. He knows how hard it is to achieve something he wants badly. The hours in the weight room, the running, time in the cage, and becoming the person he meant to be.

Just remember, it never goes as you think it is going to. Just be ready, deal with the situations as they arise, and make the most of every opportunity presented.
Last edited by baseball17
Our Fall season is soon upon us, this will be my son’s final year of Collegiate Baseball, he completed his final year of Summer Leagues last month or so.

Not too sure where I stand on this anymore…we are looking forward to a great season, hopefully his best ever…

The journey has not turned out exactly as planned, and the phrase “enjoy the ride” constantly comes to mind. These are perhaps the most enjoyable years that we have spent and will ever spend with our son. Sure he may get married one day and have kids, but these days will still be some of the most joyful days we ever get to experience.

My guy is working, putting on weight while he can (he lost a bunch over the summer), fine tuning his swing every day, and hitting the gym.

He will be a Senior this year, and I suppose will also be a team leader. He is a good leader, and it is a role I believe he will be successful at.

But it is a very bitter sweet time, knowing that my son may be done after this next season. It is a day that I have not adequately prepared myself for, and one that I have always hoped I would never have to face.

It is a day most do face however, some sooner than others. The opportunity to play at this level, is a privilege denied many.

When I begin to feel despondent, I realize how blessed I am, and my family is. Our children are healthy, and happy. For many, that would be more than enough to bring great joy and happiness.

As the journey enters this new phase, I need to continue to remember to relax and “Enjoy the Ride”, and accept the many blessings that my life has brought me and continues to bring each day, and be glad.
Last edited by floridafan
Dropped my son off Thursday at a D III. He is looking forward to Dall baseball starting and texted his Mom that he was in the middle of a wiffle ball game and he would talk to her later. he is getting to know his team mates and has already been to a Fraternity that some of the baseball players are in. They encouraged him to apply for a scholarship (the balanced man) that they offer. The coached searched him and a couple of other Freshman out on the first day to help get them ready. I wish him the best but sure do miss him already.
Last edited by BishopLeftiesDad
quote:
Those studs coming out of HS look like little kids compared to most upperclassman.

TPM: you aren't just whistling Dixie! Mine weighed in at this years Fall physical @ 25 lbs. over his Freshman weight. The transformation from boy to man this past year has been jaw dropping. He's especially enjoying today's on-field speed and conditioning work since it's 99 there but feels 102. The poor cool weather school & JC transfers are dying out there! Welcome to College baseball in the Southeast!

Great opening by C-Dad and terrific post by YGD. What a great place the HSBBW is for learning and sharing baseball and baseball parenting experiences!

I can only echo what has already been said a number of times regarding the surprises and twisting turns during "the journey."

I will remain positive both for myself and all of you pumped up about the excitement this coming year hopes to bring. There will certainly be a roller coaster of emotions for everyone, some exciting and some disappointing. Just remember the value of perseverance and a positive attitude. As a parent remember that as you "support your player" on and off the field.

Best of luck to all and I too am looking forward to both reading about the good times and hoping to post some of my own!
Last edited by Prime9
I am looking forward to the spring where I hope to make many more games this year than I did last year. Also I am looking forward to meeting some more HSBBW posters this coming season. Prime9 I hope Prime JR has as tremendous season. Even when we play you guys as long as we find a way to beat you.

Good luck to everyone's son this fall and spring.
Coach May,

My son played on the same summer team as Prime9's son and I don't know if you got the opportunity to meet him or the son any last year. But they are top notch folks and true baseball parents. His wife keeps a scorebook better than anyone! I was gonna suggest one day he break down and buy her an IPad for her but I honestly think she prefers the "old school" way. lol

His son is an absolute BEAST and CSU is going to have a tremendous season next year with him in the field and especially at the plate. I saw what he did this summer with a wood bat. I can only imagine what he will do with some metal in his hands!

I'm sure Jeff is looking foward to a big year as well.

Smile
Last edited by YoungGunDad
We took our son to his new home 1,400 miles away last week and got back to the empty house yesterday afternoon. This is when it really hit me that he will be away, more or less for good. I know he will be back in spurts, but he is off spreading his wings, as he should. As CD posted this is what this site is all about. I am thrilled for him as I think we have found a good fit, but as they say, time will tell and I expect there certainly will be challenges for him.

So far the roommate is a good match, his mom made the bed for the first, and probably the last time for the foreseeable future. The HC STILL seems genuinely excited to have him there (we will see once practice starts Wink ) and he has already hooked up with a few of the incoming freshmen and they have fit in some baseball workouts during the weeklong general orientation. He has been on the school strength and conditioning program all summer and is already using the gym and is looking to make up some ground to the upper classmen as far as strength, size and speed. As TPM pointed out the reality of being the super stud HS senior to the incoming gremmie probably has not hit him yet. We have found the school’s approach and resources available for him to be incredible, and from a first impression we could not be happier with his choice. The friendly, helpful people of Texas are unsurpassed. Wow is all I can say.

I can’t emphasize this enough for those still looking into schools – look first for an academic match and THEN weigh in the baseball program. I believe the hours we spent in Fiske, Princeton, US News, and the countless websites have paid off. The 2615 posts here certainly have helped! Thank you to all who have PM’d me over the years. I would also be remiss without mentioning Mary Ann, who welcomed me and gave me my first advice on this site. God bless her and her family.

We have officially turned the page to a new chapter in his life. We have also moved from the “car salesmen phase” (what my wife calls college coaches) to the honeymoon phase. (before the reality of having to throw strikes to a 6’4” 230lb Sr with the bases loaded Eek) I am very excited for him, and a bit saddened for me….. hmm…...I wonder if his Jr. friend up the street needs some BP this evening?

Like others I am looking forward to hearing the other stories over the coming weeks.
Last edited by BOF
Oh it's going to be some fun years coming up. Three boys I watched grow up together, play on the same youth teams together, the same young travel teams and then high school. Now they've gone their seperate but connected ways. Off to play collegiate baseball in three different programs but all in the same conference. Look out Big South! Winthrop, CSU and Coastal.
Congrats to all!! I'm sure you are all very proud of your sons as they start their college careers. Also, to those who have veteran returners! Good job, it takes a village!

Gun had his first baseball activity Sunday. Class started today, first practice scheduled for Friday. I have to admit, we are blessed to have him close, he only went 4.2 miles to get to school. No cross country or long distance for us, we realize how special this opprotunity truly is.

The rest of the week will involve conditioning, physicals, equipment/gear issue, more meetings and some light throwing. GUN threw on his new field today for the first time as a rostered player, he was smiling from ear-to-ear!

The Chaps will hit it hard until the end of October. The fall workouts will end with the DUCKS and SKUNKS Intrasquad series. The best-of-five series dates back to the fall of 1970 when LCU coach Larry Hays devised the series to celebrate the end of fall practices. The name Ducks/Skunk dates back to 1962. At that time, LCU’s first baseball team needed uniforms. The Post Cereal Mill generously donated some left-over uniforms with a Skunk on them. So, the name stuck and the series evolved into an intrasquad match-up with bragging rights on the line. It also will serve as an opportunity for the LCU coaches fall evaluations and is the connerstone for preparing for 2012.

After their "runner-up" finish in the 2011 National Championship, they have very high expectations for the 2012 squad.

Life is good..... GED10DaD
Last edited by GunEmDown10
Link copied to your clipboard.