Skip to main content

Losing is Winning.

Yes, you read that right. Recently, I've heard from players and parents of college players that I know (mostly rising sophomores) that didn't rack up the "W's" this year. Most of them didn't make the playoffs or experience a winning record in their conference or overall (my son included). Note to self....college baseball is very competitive. Wink BUT, I love to hear them say "college baseball was the best experience of my life", and "I absolutely can't wait for next year". Those words just bring a huge smile to my face, because these kids get it....losing is winning and the college athletic experience is incredible. Yes, most everybody strives to be the best player and teammate but at the end of the year there will only be a select few. That is the way life works. I have so much respect for every player that keeps their focus in a losing season despite everything going on. I sincerely tip my cap to you, and applaud your maturity and positive attitude.

PS....In the interest of PC, I did not mean to offend any player or parent who had a winning season or made the playoffs. Big Grin
Last edited by fenwaysouth
Hi,
Just to let you know that Jamie is playing Semi Pro ball in Wilmington, De. , teams name is: Pro Pysical Therapy...he's also playing everyday too, yesterday was 1st time he batted since 2010, went 0 for 3 but Mom said he hit 3 solid shots to outfield...pitching today, Grandpop and Grandmom are going, close...only 6 blocks away...WOW!

Grandpop Bob

----------------------------------------------------
Saw Jamie pitch his 1st Semi Pro game, he won, pitched 4 innings, had 10 K's, gave up 1 hit...then went to Centerfield and batted twice getting a triple and single. Box score,Box score, his 1st win
Jamie wanted to stay close to home his 1st summer of college, he had 6 or 7 offers to play down South this summer...but he chose to play here at home...makes me happy, 23 out of the 25 games are played 6 blocks away from me...I can walk there:-)

He pitched his 2nd game today in over 100 degree heat, drove up from Ocean City, Md., (surfin' and having fun), just turned 19...he won, pitched 5 innings: Box score,Jamie's 2nd win in Semi Pro

Jamie wins 3rd straight game, Box score

Grandpop Bob

Most important for me are GRADES...Jamie did well, had a 3.52 GPA...but...freshman don't qualify for All Academic...hoping it happens next year! Hope Jamie makes it next year! Congrats: Brandon Payne, SO (3.52) – Criminal Justice
Last edited by Bob LaFazia
quote:
Originally posted by 20dad:
what does semi- pro mean? do they think about paying him?

i'm sorry bob ,i just couldn't resist being a smart a##.
i hope it's a good summer for you, you'll get to see alot of your grandson. i wish him luck, but i don't think he'll need it.

No 20Dad, you weren't being smart...I've thought about that many times...I played Semi Pro football a "hundred years ago" :-)...never got paid, none of us did...I think they should change the league's name, there are a lot of college players in the league too, if your from another state, "Semi Pro" does sound fishy:-)

Thanx for the input on Jamie, have a great day!

Grandpop Bob

quote:
Originally posted by GrabSomePine:
This is a bragging allowed thread, right? Just want to publicly congratulate my son on being named to the Academic All-Big 10 team and for combining with two other pitchers to throw a no-hitter for his Summer team this weekend. It's been a good June so far!

CONGRATS Grab...All Academic is great anywhere...especially the Big Ten!

Grandpop Bob
It's a proud week-before-Father's Day as I realize that my son's about to have the opportunity to participate in his third College World Series; albeit in a different role than in the past.

He, the team's players, and his fellow coaches should be very proud of finishing their season in a way that virtually no one had predicted coming into it. Congratulations to them and the 7 other teams that have one more tournament remaining in this season's campaign.

As in so many of life's pursuits, the combination of hard work and ability can bring exceptional results in baseball.
Last edited by Prepster
quote:
Originally posted by Prepster:
It's a proud week-before-Father's Day as I realize that my son's about to have the opportunity to participate in his third College World Series; albeit in a different role than in the past.

He, the team's players, and his fellow coaches should be very proud of finishing their season in a way that virtually no one had predicted coming into the season. Congratulations to them and the 7 other teams that have one more tournament remaining in this season's campaign.

As in so many of life's pursuits, the combination of hard work and ability can bring exceptional results in baseball.

Very nice Prepster. I watched the game yesterday and it was exciting although I missed the last inning. Baseball indeed can provide a rewarding career.
quote:
Originally posted by Prepster:

He, the team's players, and his fellow coaches should be very proud of finishing their season in a way that virtually no one had predicted coming into it. Congratulations to them and the 7 other teams that have one more tournament remaining in this season's campaign.

As I was watching that game I was thinking about your son! How wonderful is that, really, who says once you stop playing, that baseball has to end.
There are so many way to stay involved in the game.

Just like any other championship event, the road to Omaha is not an easy ride, my hats off to all teams that find themselves there next week!
Congratulations to birdman14's son for being named to the Louisville Slugger Freshman All American Team. This was icing on the cake after also being named to his All Conference team. birdman14 and I have exchanged a couple PM's and he is quite proud of his son and the accomplishments this year as a true freshman. He's modest for not mentioning anything on the Public Board, so I'll throw a little love his way. However, I'll leave it up to birdman14 to reveal the identity of his boy. Either way, his son had a very good year, and I thought it was appropriate to share.
quote:
Originally posted by bsbl247:
Congratulations to birdman14's son for being named to the Louisville Slugger Freshman All American Team. This was icing on the cake after also being named to his All Conference team. birdman14 and I have exchanged a couple PM's and he is quite proud of his son and the accomplishments this year as a true freshman. He's modest for not mentioning anything on the Public Board, so I'll throw a little love his way. However, I'll leave it up to birdman14 to reveal the identity of his boy. Either way, his son had a very good year, and I thought it was appropriate to share.

Great stuff!

birdman is one of our finest members and he is indeed a humble and a nice guy. All the best to his son and family in the future!
quote:
Originally posted by bsbl247:

quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
Great stuff!

birdman is one of our finest members and he is indeed a humble and a nice guy. All the best to his son and family in the future!

quote:
Originally posted by fanofgame:
Congratulations!!!!!

Everyone: Big Grin

Thank you very much for the kind words. It was a very special first season both for my son, and for me to watch. Fortunately for me we live close to where he plays and I was able to attend many of his games.

I'm also glad I took some good advise and just let the whole 2-way thing play itself out. It certainly worked out just fine!
Last edited by birdman14

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.