Skip to main content

I could not seem to locate any threads with information on this district for 2011?

If I've overlooked it, I apologize and ask that you point me toward the thread. No sense in having multiple threads on the same topic Wink

Who are the teams to beat and why?

Is North Stafford still the team to beat? Will Kennedy be the Commonwealth player of the year?

Will Coach Brian Mays and Brooke Point continue to compete for a title?

I see from threads on this site that Coach Tim Stimmel has 3 Division 1 bound players taking the field for the Bears this year and I've heard lot's of good things about his right hander in Traugh. Have you seen Riverbends field(?) - WOW.. That field extols the pride they have in their baseball program. Is this the year of the Bears?

How are the Indians looking under the direction of a GREAT COACH in Tommy Harrison?

Mt. View and Massaponax - where do they stand?

I'm out of the loop, but have enjoyed following this highly competitive and typically very talented district.

Your thoughts please.......
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Flying Dutchman:

I guess our district just doesn't generate much excitement until playoff time.

Riverbend is going to be tough. I agree. With 3 Division I bound players, they will be competitive.

Brooke Point lost their number 1 and 2 pitchers to graduation. That will be tough to overcome. However, they continue to have talent and chemistry, which sometimes makes all the difference when it really matters. This is evidenced by a strong senior class which has played together at the varsity level since they were freshman. Chris Denno switches from closer last year to #1 starter.

Mountain View will be in the mix. Bruno and Cleary will generate alot of offense and excitement.

North Stafford will have the edge on pitching. Both in talent and game experience. Skidmore is a heck of player.

Don't know enough about the rest of the district teams to comment.

Kennedy is very talented. But traditionally, Player of the Year goes to a senior. With that said, I can see these guys having big years and in the mix for POY:

J.J. McDaniel - Brooke Point, 3B/P. Big, strong power hitter. I think he hit 8 HR's last season. Much improved defense and will be a surprise on the mound.

Mike Bruno - Mountain View, UT. Outstanding contact hitter. Will generate big numbers on offense. Exciting player.

Tyler Skidmore - North Stafford, UT. Again, strong offensive presence. I believe he is signed to a Div I program.

I'm sure there are more out there. These are just the one's who immediately come to mind.
Last edited by Black-Hawks08
To revisit this thread and answer Dutchman's question, WHO ARE THE TEAMS TO BEAT AND WHY?

Each team has played each other at least once now.

#1 pick to win districts is Riverbend. Good coaching as confirmed by Stimmel getting 3 players signed with D1 schools. Strong bats, pitching and a great catcher make them a contender. They need to win all their games the rest of season like they are capable of.

#2 North Stafford. Coach L is another great coach. He has plenty of pitching, great SS and batter in Tyler Skidmore who is another D1 commit,also Chris Hall who is a solid catcher and batter. All their players contribute so too many to mention.

#3 Colonial Forge They are always well coached. Don't like to get into the Player of the Year topic but Keller, a D1 commit to VMI will be in the mix with his home runs and is one of the best catchers in the area.

#4 Stafford Coach Tommy Harrison gets the most out of his players. Patrick Marshall is one of the best lefty pitchers in the area, a great 1st baseman and contributes at the plate. Chaz Tanner solid at SS and at bat. I liked their catcher (name?), sharp at his position and is a power hitter. The team seems young but appears to be improving each game.

#5 Brooke Point As mentioned in earlier post, BP lost most of their pitching to graduation last year. Saw a freshman lefty pitcher for BP who could be formidable to opposing teams when used. Does anyone know his name? Haven't seen anything written up about him. BP off to a rough start but could still be contenders in the playoffs as they seem to finish strong.

#6 Albermarle/Massoponax Don't know much about either except that Mass did beat my number #1 pick, Riverbend. Go figure...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.