Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

4 teams picked statewide, based upon regional tryouts. Each team plays 3 games. On day one, teams do showcase hitting, infield, 60 yard dash, etc. Games are on days two and three. Tryouts are usually held late in the high school season and sometimes not real publicized so keep an eye on the web site, and this web site, and contact coaches if nothing is seen as sometimes tryouts are by invite only. Typically teams are limited to 12-14 position players and 10 pitchers.

Exposure is wonderful. Normally, every Virginia school is there, all divisions, some with 2-3 coaches present, all ACC schools, some SEC, Big South, Conference USA, lots of pro scouts. I tried to count in summer of 2005 and came up with around 100 scouts. Players get two jerseys with names on them, stay at Holiday Inn, very well-treated. Cost is basically hotel cost, not much more. For a Virginia baseball player, other than East Coast Pro, which is even tougher to land a spot in, it's as good as it gets.

The games are part of the Commonwealth Games,with lots of events, but often held a separate week from the other stuff.

www.commonwealthgames.org

There's also a tournament for younger players, held separately, but I don't know much about that one.
Midlo Dad, two years ago my son managed to do both-play in Georgia and then rush up to Virginia for the Commonwealth Games. After experiencing the Commonwealth Games, we realized World Wood Bat could have been skipped-one game is played at a time at the Commonwealth Games, so all the scouts watch it and the number of scouts present from all over the country is amazing.
Midlo Dad,

It was an issue this year for some kids on our team at WWBA...one skipped WWBA and one left early for Comm. Games.

But from what i read here, your son won't be impacted either way since he's apparently a B-1 Bomber on the Radar screen -- the "mountain in this case will come to mohammed," but for most kids Mohammed has to go to the mountain. Does present a problem for a coach though. Can't very well leave your team.

Scout wise, Commonwealth far eclipses WWBA 17U. Besides most scouts just watch one outing and make up their mind early at a week long event - plus WWBA is so spread out a dozen HSs all over Atlanta...only three fields at East Cobb they can't be everywhere at once.

By that time next year your son will be likely looking at AFLAC or National team, will have committed to a college if he wants to and neither of these events will seem worth worrying about. Your only dileema will be college or pro!

You're on cruise control now it's going to all come to you just sit back and enjoy the ride. Wink
Thanks for the kind words but that's not the issue. We're going to the WWBA events in any event. But we're trying to put together a local team for the 17u. Looks like the Comm. Games are going to cause us a problem in recruiting our roster. I've already had one top pitcher back out over it.

Makes me wish they'd kept the 17u first, the 18u second as in prior years. Not sure why PG flipped the two events this year.
Midlo Dad

My son played with All Star Baseball Academy on a team that consisted of a mixture of Virginia kids and New England kids this summer just for the WWBA. The coaches told him that this was the place to be and that this was a very elite team. The Commonwealth Game coach wasn't happy that he decided to do this instead. Tons of scouts were there LOOKING AT PITCHERS. Our son is a catcher. He got a little interest but not what he thought he'd get by going to this event. I think in hindsight the Commonwealth Games may have more helpful since he is now looking at schools only in VA. You know they say hindsight is 20/20! I think a lot depends on where your son wants to go to school.
For my two cents worth, and that might be way over-stating the value of my opinion, I can't imagine passing up the Commonwealth Games for any other event, unless your son is already being touted by Baseball America as a likely high round draft choice, in which event the exposure isn't needed. For those looking to go to a Virginia school, it is the best exposure to be had anywhere.
hokieone-
Your points are all very excellent.
I have never actually been to the event so I can not personally speak to the points you mention.

However, I would like to make one additional point. I know the event is set up where there are 4 "all-star" teams put together, roughly broken out by geography. I can't speak about all 4 teams, however there is a VERY STRONG opinion (amongst player and coaches) that the team in our neck of the woods is "pre-assembled". While there are open tryouts, it appears that very few players outside a very limited geography are selected for the team.

Again, I don't doubt the positives that you mention about the event iteself. And certainly someone of Midloson's caliber would be welcome on ANY team. It is my perspective that unless you are "invited" to tryouts, the odds of you being selected to participate are fairly small.
bballmomssr,

If it makes you feel any better, the C off our HS team went to the Comm. Games in your son's absence and he hasn't gotten a lot of offers, either, which mystefies me because he is a truly awesome gamer.

I think I know who your son is, and he is PG ranked right there with our guy as 2 of the top 3 C's in the VA class of 2007.

P.S.

When our boys play each other this spring, be sure to introduce yourself!
JBB,

We had always heard exactly what you said about "pre-selected", and I knew of some very good ballplayers that didn't get picked. Our high school coach was so convinced of how things worked that he didn't even suggest my son go as past experience had been a perception of not much chance as we're at a single A school in the Valley, and the coaches are all from northern Virginia. My son sent a profile to the coach who called and invited him to try out, he had a very good day and was selected. He knew none of the coaches going into the tryouts, and even missed the first weekend due to state playoffs. While my perception was always the same as yours, our actual experience was a pleasant suprise. A player from Warren County was in the same basic circumstances, and he was also selected. From what I saw, picking the team would be incredibly hard as there was a whole lot more talent present that could fit on a roster.
Last edited by hokieone
We made the decision to play at the 17u & 18u and miss the CG's. E. Cobb was a great experience but I still wonder if he should have tried out for the NV team anyway and missed part of the WWBA games (if he'd have been picked). As a catcher it was hard to stand out when there are so many teams playing at so many fields. Of course hindsight is 20/20!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.