Skip to main content

1. Brooke Point-Great Pitching, solid team all around, not young anymore so that excuse cannot be used this year.

2. North Stafford- Solid pitching with Kennedy and Gallet and decent offense from what I saw last year,did lose a few seniors.

3. Ablemarle-Always Solid, hard shoes to fill that leadership role with Molinaro gone.

4. Stafford-Great run last year,lost alot of big bats, not sure if they have what it takes

5. Colonial Forge-Not quite sure what they have this year?

6. Mountain View-Pitching isnt deep enough

7. Riverbend-Could Suprise

8. Massaponax- Tubbs and Merryman can't do it all

Knowing the Commonwealth District these are highly inaccurate come the end of the season. Please give me your inputs.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Brooke Point and North Stafford are a great two top teams for the district. Should be a close district this year and exciting to watch.
1. Brooke Point due to great pitching and solid offense.
2. North Stafford due to pitching but depth could be a problem.
3. Colonial Forge due to alot of heart.
4. Stafford has great coaching.
5. Mountain Veiw - talent but hasn't been using the given talent in the past few years.
6. Albemarle- lost alot of seniors
7. Riverbend- Let's face it, Travis Thomas is gone.
8. Ponax - Just not enough talent.
1. Brooke Point should be solid on pitching. The big question will be timely, not sporadic hitting. Can they win the close games or pitcher's duel? This team should have great chemistry and experience.

2. North Stafford will have solid pitching as well, as long as over use does not hurt them down the stretch. This team can hit.

3. Colonial Forge has great coaching, but who knows what they have?

4. Stafford lost a lot of impact players to graduation. A great coach will get them to play above their level of talent.

5. Mountain View is a program in transition. Lessons learned from last year will be key.

6. Albemarle is always competitive.

7. Riverbend has Dustin Sparks. Anyone else? Chime in.

8. Massaponax has much more than Tubbs and Merryman. Dylan Payne is a solid hitter. Like Brooke Point, this is a team with a core of seniors that have played Varsity ball since freshman. Experience will be a factor.

My listing is not a prediction of order of finish, just an observation.
Okay thanks, I like Vanhutton - alot....

I'm not ready to predict just yet, I'm still in the anaylsis mode, so help me here because I don't have all the answers.

I want to know by school, who lost the most players to graduation and name them.

I know, I know they'll be other studs to step up, but who lost the most to graduation.

I'll start it off..... and as players are listed I'll add them to my "master list"

1. Brooke Point:
  • Brian Hudson (OF)
  • Michael Schmidt (C)
  • Joey Lyons (UT)

2. North Stafford:
  • Casey Johns (MIF, P)
  • Patrick Kuhn(C)
  • Ben Esser (2B)
  • Torres (OF)

3. Colonial Forge
  • Garrett Marin (P)
  • Taylor Guinn (P, 1B?)
  • Cody Norman (C)
  • Matt Edwards (P, 3B)
  • Kyle Boster (P, OF)

4. Stafford
  • Ryan Brown (OF)
  • Dan King (P, 1B)
  • Kyle Angelet (OF)
  • Josh Mellet (P)
  • Dustin Hunt (C?)
  • Matt Boehmke (MIF)
  • Thomas Faller (P)
  • Jordan Tackett (IF)

5. Mountain Veiw
  • Kyle Haynes (P)
  • Jake Gernhardt (P)
  • Austin White (C)
  • Nick Kime (IF, OF)
  • Cal McDaniel (IF)
  • Taylor Barrett (P)
  • Nick Torrice (?)

6. Albemarle
  • Tyler Molinaro (P, 1B)
  • Vince Coles (OF)

7. Riverbend
  • Travis Thomas (P, OF)
  • Zach Harding (C)
  • Jesse Naccarrato (OF)

8. Massaponax
  • Max Cunningham (P)
  • Scott Forgeson(MIF)

Last years Commonwealth District was very evenly matched, there were a lot of really close baseball games - it was a very exciting district. I see the 2010 season being no different. Honestly speaking is there a runaway team that's hands above the rest?
  • Last edited by Flying Dutchman
    B-hawk,

What position did Hudson play?

I am not sure on Utz at Albemarle, they always seem to be the unknown in the district.... Someone from down that way needs to get to posting! Cool

Keep thinking on the Massaponax player, I do not know who it would be, but I'm sure I'll recognize him as soon as a Ponax expert posts with the information.... COME ON!
    Last edited by Flying Dutchman
    You are thinking of RHP Max Cuningham. He was Ponax's #1 for the past two years. They also lost SS Scott Foreson(sp), a very good stick. Losing your best hitter and pitcher is tough, but Ponax was young. If they can fill those shoes should be very competitive this year.

Senior Kevin Miller is more than capable of being a solid #1 starter. Coach Kline needs to get him in a routine of giving him a start every week and then 4 or 5 days off. Junior Chip Paytes should step up and help out at MIF. Senior Cameron Tubbs is a strong utility player as well.
    Flying Dutchman,

They weren't starters, but played an important part in the Mountain View rotation of batting and pitching. I'm talking about Taylor Barrett who moved to Roanoke and Nick Torrice who resigned in later part of season. Taylor Barret became one of their top finishers and even started some later games, while Nick Torrice was a monster bat with speed. I also still don't think Jake VanHutton is a for sure thing either!!!
    Kingjam -

Although it's really a mute point, the 3 Mt. View players listed by HighHeat27 were indeed starters. I didn't see every game that Mt. View played, but I saw them 3-4 times last year and I keep a book at every game.... I'm looking at their names in the book right now as starters - all three... Again, it's a mute point as I think everyone would agree all three were contributors at Mt. View.

I do recall seeing Barrett and Torrice.. IMO they, along with Van Hutton, were going to be a BIG part of the Mt. View program this year. I've added Barrett to the list, but not Torrice or Van Hutton as we don't know for sure their status. I hope they both return, I really want to see them play this year....

Everyone knew that Stafford lost a lot from last years team, but if Torrice and Van Hutton do not return Mt. View might have lost even more than Stafford.

Did North Stafford really only lose 2 players from last year? Where they that young?
    quote:
    There's no denying that they could use his talent, but in the past few years they have had more talent then anyone, but the coach just doesn't know how to use it.

I do agree, I thought Mt. View was loaded with talent last year... But I don't know if it was lack of coaching -- maybe it was lack of player maturity and leadership or lack of desire who knows?... You have to play the game regardless of your "perceived" talent...

Truthfully, I believe Mt. View, like everyone else in the Commonwealth, got out coached by Tommy Harrison at Stafford..... His team was always prepared to play and execute and from what I saw they had a really good time on the field......
    North Stafford lost more than 2 to graduation, I was there on their Senior Night and they had around 6-7 line up with their folks. Don't remember names just saw the bodies. Stafford also lost 2 other seniors, Thomas Faller and Jordon Tackett. Granted Jordon didn't play all season due to injury, but Thomas Faller was the #3 Starter for the team.
    Last edited by kingjam
    Robert Gallet, senior, good pitcher really came on last year. Sean Kennedy, sophmore, is going to be a stud for North Stafford the next 3 years. Other than that, I don't know of any depth except what is coming up from JV. The vote on pitching depth, IMO, would have to be shelved until proven. Now in alot of HS seasons you may get away with 2 Good starters and some decent fill ins, but that depends on keeping those 2 healthy.
    My predictions, (with a lot of consideration from this thread) but recognize...... last year I picked Stafford to be LAST! - and look at the year they had....... Big Grin

1.) RIVERBEND - this is a team many are overlooking, but Coach Stimmel has a ton of talent. Everyone speaks about how young Massaponax and Brooke Point were, but look at Riverbend. They only lost two starters from last years team in Thomas and Harding. The entire infield returns (less Harding at catcher), the outfield is solid - led by Senior Nick Lacik. The Bears should have enough pitching with a plethora of lefties in Moranville, Sherman, Fenewald(sp?) and I think there's one more - they have more hooks than Johnny Dep's Black Pearl! They also have a number of righties led by Senior Dustin Sparks, a big sophmore righty in Nate Traugh(sp?) and Junior RHP's Nick Gianforte and Nate Steele. Almost every kid on the field can give them quality innings! I think they'll be able to hit with anyone, the only shortcoming I see is possibly a catcher not sure who will be able to replace Harding. IMO the only thing stopping the Bears from winning the district will be themselves, they have the talent.....

2.) BROOKE POINT - the consensus is that this is the year they've been working and waiting for, no longer a Freshman Varsity team.... They are returning an experienced group and Houde is definitely solid. I think they will be more consistent with their hitting just by virtue of their additional experience level. They showed at the end of last season that they are capable.. I like Brian Mays, he's been through a lot and for him I hope they reach their potential.

3.) NORTH STAFFORD - I think they have enough pitching to get it done with Kennedy (he is really nice and young!), Gallet, Dolinger and Connaughton, I do like their pitching staff, we'll see if they have the offensive power...

4.) ALBEMARLE – they always seem to be a mystery… I don’t know what they lost, I don’t know what they have, but they routinely place in the middle to top tier of the district and so I’ll stay with tradition, they’ll finish middle of the pack and I’m sure they’ll surprise some people!

5.) STAFFORD – They were just so senior heavy last season I just don’t know how they will replace all of that talent… However, they have one of the top coaches in Tommy Harrison, he will have his team playing above their ability level and they’ll win games as a result. I see them in the middle of the district this year….

6.) MASSAPONAX – I know they have some talent in Miller, Merriman, Payne, Tubbs. They also have some power at the plate, but I don’t think they have enough pitching to place in the top third of the district. I’d love to see Massaponax light it up this year, they’ve been playing with a young team for a number of years. Honestly this team has more talent than a sixth place team, but you know what - they need to step up and prove themselves...

7.) COLONIAL FORGE – they too seem to have lost a lot to graduation and from this thread I’m not hearing or feeling that the Eagles have enough up and coming talent this year to make a run at the title. I agree with a previous poster, they always play with a lot of heart and never go away....

8.) MT VIEW – Coach Lopez lost a ton of talent to graduation and for whatever reason some key players do not appear to be returning for the 2010 season. Again, I don't see anyone listing players to replace the long list of those departed... Seems they will be young this year and I just don’t see enough overall talent. NOW- this prediction is based on the premises that Jake Van Hutton DOES NOT PLAY, if he is healthy and on the roster I could see moving them up a spot, but they need more than VH. I hate picking a last place team, rarely are you ever correct!

Don't just tell me how wrong I am - I know I'll be off.

Tell me I'm wrong and then give us all your predictions!
    Not sure why talk about the Commonwealth District is so quiet. From this forum you would think that they only play HS baseball in Hampton Roads. Smile

Too early for my prediction. I will wait for tryouts to see how the squads shape up.

The Commonwealth should make for some exciting play this spring. Of note is the amount of players who have committed and or signed to play at the next level. I know of the following:

North Stafford - Michael Bill and Nate Connaughton to Tusculum (Div II)

Mountain View - Charlie O'Neill to Christopher Newport (Div III)

Riverbend - Dustin Sparks to the USNA (Div I)

Brooke Point - Evan Houde to Frederick Community College (Div II JUCO)

I am sure there are more, so if anyone can post additional info, that would be great.

Also, the Battlefield District has Matt Houston from Spotsy HS signed to play at William & Mary.

3up - any updates from Battlefield?
    Long toss - you might very well be correct...

Honestly, it's really hard to place programs like Mt. View and Colonial Forge at the bottom of my pick's.... With coaching like Szakelyhidi, Lopez and Hudson it just doesn't seem conceivable... But it does seem reasonable, to me, that it could go down this way or somewhat close to it....

This district is going to be like last year, VERY exciting and very competitive...
    I don't know of any mystery players, I'm just going by previous posts and rumor mill of who will play and who will not, etc.

Obviously, I pick Brooke Point to win the District. They have a solid and seasoned 1 and 2 pitcher, with plenty of big game experience. Should have good middle relief. Closer is a concern with the loss of Leo Sanchez. The big question will be offense. Can they win close games? They will need consistent, not sporadic hitting. I would guess you will see a starting lineup of all seniors and juniors, so they will be a solid Varsity squad.

I pick North Stafford next. Good pitching, as long as they stay healthy. Good hitting and coaching.

I am just not convinced as you are on Riverbend. Travis Thomas is tough to replace. Dustin Sparks is solid. I'm just not sold about the others as pitchers. Lacik and Sherman are outstanding hitters.

4. Albemarle - Agree. No idea who they have. Always tough.

5. Stafford - Great coach who win games with what he has. Lost alot to graduation.

6. Mountain View - O'Neill should get his chance as an everyday player. He can hit with power and pitch. If Van Hutton plays, he could change things.

7. Massaponax - Good talent. Head-scratching coaching.

8. Colonial Forge - I hate to pick them last, because they have a great coach and history of winning. I do so only because I don't know anybody on the team.
    I agree with Flying..., Riverbend has alot of talent, lots of lefties who I saw play during fallball who looked pretty strong. They also have some big bats. Unfortunately, I've heard they probably won't have Nate Steele (one of the best hitters) due to injury.
    If their coach uses the talent he has and doesn't keep playing the ones that don't produce, then they will be awesome. You can say that about all these teams though.
    I pick them to be 2nd or 3rd place in district.

I like North Stafford players also. They work hard in the off season from what I hear. Their coach demands alot from them but may make them a little nervous during the games? Sometimes it seems they're afraid to make a mistake, then they do..
    ok here go's

1. RB- I like pick agree with you but if Nate Steele doesn't play that will effect the offense but still solid team and great coaching. Sparks my early player of year pick overall great hitter and pitcher.
    2. North Stafford- best pitching staff in conference! They lost alot of close games last year but offensively they struggled at times and the loss on Kuhns, Johns, and Torres offensively doesn't help but pitching wins championship and they have great coaching staff as well and they always have players step up every year that you don't hear about!
    3.Massaponax- has a solid team returning made some noise last year. With Tubbs and Merryman should be solid team that will surprise people.
    4. Stafford- they did loss a lot of seniors but Marshall is one of top players in conference and Pernia they will be a tough opponent.
    5. Colonial Forge- always have good team had a strong JV last year believe they have guys that can fill some holes will be better than expected.
    6. Brooke Point- I don't know how you can pick them #1 or 2 they won 2 or 3 conference games last year and lost one of there best arms in Sanchez they are not a good hitting team. I dont' see magic continuing.
    7. Mountain View- I think this team is rebuilding Oneil is a big hitter but he will not see anything to hit in this lineup. They have some talented Freshman and Sophomores but they are not ready to compete against varsity competition yet I look for big things from them next year.
    8. Albermarle- Last year they had terrible pitching but they could swing it lost Molinaro and Coles two great players JV team was terrible they just do not have players in pipeline to replace what was lost.
    1. Brooke Point- hands down. with their head coach, Brian Mays, returning to the third base coach's box their offense will ignite just like it did last year during their playoff run. Their starting pitchers are the best there is in this district. Sorry Kennedy. They have done away with all of the parents and kids drama. I guess it's true that winning does solve all problems. Last year's bitter loss at Albemarle still sits in their mouth's and they have been thinking about it all off-season. I would love to be there to see them open up there.

2. Stafford - How can you not think that this coach will have his players fired up and prepared for every single pitch of the game? With Brooks signing to UVA- Wise, I'm surprised that more talk hasn't arisen of him. Marshall is indeed a good arm, as well as a strong bat, but he can't pitch every game, I'd love to see who is their #2.

3. Riverbend - Lacik, Sparks, Steele, and Moranville. Four solid players. I've heard of questioning that Steele won't play. I don't know much more of this. But they are solid players. I just don't see where their pitching will come from. Sparks got lit up by Brooke Point's sophomores last year, why is their speculation that they won't be able to do it now that they are bigger, better, and stronger?

4. Mountain View - Wolchak is one of the top athletes in this county and is constantly looked over. They lack experience but I know that Lopez won't let that be a problem. I would like to congratulate O'Neil on him going to CNU. Maybe now Lopez will give him the playing time that he has deserved unlike their first baseman this past year who his only accomplishment was giving a North Stafford player a concussion during fall ball

5. Colonial Forge - Their players are unknown but I'm sure with their coach and their tradition of winning that they won't be anybody's play toy.

6. Massaponax - While Tubbs and Snooter are two very good players. Who else do they have? Kevin Miller is a solid arm, but I don't see him overpowering anybody. Many schools have seen Tubbs on the mound for now four years and know what to expect him to throw. They may upset people, but I don't see them being a strong contender for any of the top spots.

7. North Stafford - Kennedy. Connaughton. Somebody has to bridge that gap and they also need a second starting pitcher. It may be that they have a strong pitcher coming up from JV. I know Coach L runs a tight ship, but I just don't see them having the offensive power, especially in their yard, to create any disturbance. Unless Kennedy got a whole lot bigger and stronger than he won't be able to drive the ball nor will he be able to blow it by any hitters in this league. Hitting in the district has progressed and is ready to face this mediocre pitcher.

8. Albemarle - Had loads of experience last year. While half of their team never played last year and will be returning, they weren't all that good. They lack leadership without Utz and Molinaro. I just don't see it coming together at all. Maybe this is just a building year for them.
    Thanks for the news about David Brooks. He has always been a solid player, hard worker and great guy. Very happy for him.

You also point out Shane Wolchak. I could not agree more. Outstanding hitter and runs like a deer. He will be an impact player for MV.

Keep the good news and reviews coming. But I don't think individual high school players should or need to be critized in an open forum.
    Last edited by Black-Hawks08

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.