Skip to main content

Hello,

I am a 2017 aiming for NESCAC/Ivy. This summer I attended a local showcase (not in New England) and sent some follow-up emails to the attending coaches to see if I attracted any interest. A neighboring-state D3 is showing what I deem pretty strong interest, especially considering I'm a 2017.

This worries me... the D3 showing interest is competitively superior to the NESCAC schools I'm looking at and probably competitive with the Ivy's. I was originally intending to initiate contact with my target schools after this junior spring/senior early summer, but now I'm thinking that that time frame might be too late. Since I'm getting attention from a school that's better than half my target schools, maybe I'm ready to begin the process? I wouldn't want to lose a spot to an early-bird prospect who is slightly inferior to me, but gets in with the coach sooner. I have pretty good metrics... verified 6.5 60 YD, 83 MPH OF velo, decent contact hitter.

However, if it didn't hurt my chances, I'd prefer to wait as long as possible. I feel like I have good tools but I still feel like I need one more successful varsity season to fully establish my confidence. Additionally, I am undersized in both height and weight (I do not pass the eye test), though I am not expecting to have any huge gains in the height department. I definitely do have a lot to gain terms of upper body strength and appearance, hitting power, and arm speed.

Based on this situation, any tips for when I should initiate contact with my target schools? My grades match up well and I'll have the ACT taken care of by the end of the year at the latest.

Last edited by ROUGHRIDER13
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

While you may wait a little to "showcase" do not wait to correspond and show your interest. Fill-out recruiting questionnaires on line is a start, and getting a video together is a good idea as well. What you are seeing is the different timetables that each D3/NESCAC has. It's for that reason which makes the recruiting puzzle a "labyrinth" difficult to navigate when similar conference schools have different needs and work to recruit at a different pace.

While the Ivies are likely done recruiting 2016 and looking at 2017s, when my son went through recruiting of the high academics we found that some Patriot (and NESCACs) were still recruiting in the fall of senior year. Some of the smaller liberal arts HIGH academics were picking up players in spring senior year (Son's HS catcher landed a spot at one right before HS season).

You could also gain some knowledge looking at the heights and weights of those on the current roster of schools you are targeting. You can also gain insight into how many players are on the rosters. My 2015 is considered undersized as well; your assets are similar to his.  Keep working hard to get better, and keep up your grades. Good luck! Junior year is an important one.

Height and weight are overhyped here.  An Ivy coach once told son, "I've learned the hard way that speed with power are not correlated with high SAT scores - so, I have to recruit them separately".  I like your speed - thats a valuable commodity in the academic world.  Speed never has a bad game and never gets a day off.  Speed has a chance in every at bat and speed plays both offense and defense.  You're on the right track.  Get your name out by contacting coaches and giving them the events you think you'll play in next summer.  No one cares about high school stats anyway.

Please don't tell us you are thinking about committing to a DIII college before your junior season.  Why would anyone do that?

if that school wants you now, why wouldn't they want you in two years?  Surely, you think you will be even better in two years. You already have one plus MLB tool that DIs would be interested in.

Sorry if I didn't read your post correctly. Maybe I missed something.

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

Please don't tell us you are thinking about committing to a DIII college before your junior season.  Why would anyone do that?

if that school wants you now, why wouldn't they want you in two years?  Surely, you think you will be even better in two years. You already have one plus MLB tool that DIs would be interested in.

Sorry if I didn't read your post correctly. Maybe I missed something.

No, that's a misunderstanding. I want to go Ivy/NESCAC...the specific D3 I contacted is not a school that fits that profile. Their interest merely prompted my concerns.

Last edited by ROUGHRIDER13

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.