Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Also, TCW, your website did a FANTASTIC job of covering the tournament. We all appreciate your hard work. We envy the other teams and media coverage and recognition they get from their home area. Here in the Tidewater area, Legion Ball goes unnoticed. I know the Lynnhaven Palamino team that has enjoyed great success has received no recognition also. Very sad that these boys have to look at opposing teams newspapers and TV station to hear what they have done. Great Job Guys!
quote:
Originally posted by my3sonsaz:
Also, TCW, your website did a FANTASTIC job of covering the tournament. We all appreciate your hard work. We envy the other teams and media coverage and recognition they get from their home area. Here in the Tidewater area, Legion Ball goes unnoticed. I know the Lynnhaven Palamino team that has enjoyed great success has received no recognition also. Very sad that these boys have to look at opposing teams newspapers and TV station to hear what they have done. Great Job Guys!

Appreciate your comments.

Who are your local sports media outlets that should cover the Tidewater area? I want to double-check my media contacts.

Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by my3sonsaz:
Virginia Pilot/Hampton Roads, just started putting in 1 to 2 line scores & the TV stations. 1 article last year on team that went to World Series and nothing for TV. Just sad, I think that is why the teams from this area don't play legion, the boys decide to play in other leagues.

I have the following in my media contacts:

• jami.frankenberry@pilotonline.com
  • sports@pilotonline.com

... So they were informed!

What's your TV station website?
Last edited by TCWPreps
A post in TCWPreps "chatbox" left by a visitor from Sumter, SC.

quote:
Tkirkhart (guest): Congradulations to Post 280 on back-to-back championships. We are excited to have you in our region. We hope you have a safe trip and will see you here in Sumter Wednesday Night. You will open with the South Carolina state champions, Gaffney at 3:30 on Thursday.

For the record, If that's the same Jami Frankeberry that used to work in Winchester during mid-late 90's, then he knows of me from covering our legion baseball.
Last edited by TCWPreps
Riley Park ... Home of the Sumter P15's:
American Legion Baseball Southeast Regional Tournament:

August 4
Game 1 Alabama vs. North Carolina 9:00AM
Game 2 Puerto Rico vs. Florida Doubleheader
Game 3 Post 109 Gaffney, SC vs. Post 280 Greenbrier 3:30PM
Game 4 Georgia vs. Sumter Doubleheader

August 5
Game 5 Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 3 9:00AM
Game 6 Loser Game 2 vs. Loser Game 4 Doubleheader
Game 7 Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 3 3:30PM
Game 8 Winner Game 2 vs. Winner Game 4 Doubleheader

August 6
Game 9 Winner Game 6 vs. Loser Game 7 10:00AM
Game 10 Winner Game 5 vs. Loser Game 8 Doubleheader
Game 11 Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8 6:00PM

August 7
Game 12 Winner Game 9 vs. Loser Game 11 2:00PM (See Note 1)
Game 13 Winner Game 10 vs. Winner Game 11 6:00PM (See Note 1)

August 8
Game 14 Winner Game 12 vs. Winner Game 13 12:00PM (See Note 2)
Game 15 (If Necessary) Fifteen games will be needed if Winner Game 11 loses Game 13 or Winner Game 12 Wins Game 14

Note 1: Pairings for Games 12 and 13 will not match previous opponents against each other unless absolutely necessary.

Note 2: If three teams remain after Game 13, the winner of game 11 automatically draws a bye to Game 14

Last edited by TCWPreps
quote:
Fortune frowns on Post 361 in painful elimination loss
By: CHRIS HUMPHREYS | Media General News Service
Published: July 29, 2011

LYNCHBURG West End Post 361 was on the wrong side of a disputed call in a 5-4 loss to Greenbrier Post 280 in the finals of the American Legion Virginia State Baseball Tournament at Liberty University on Friday.

Trailing 5-4 going into the bottom of the eighth inning, West End’s Gary LeClair led off with a single to center and stole second base. Matt Winn followed with a towering fly ball to left field that was caught on the warning track.

LeClair tagged up at second and took third easily. For a moment, the tying run seemed 90 feet from the plate with one out. But Greenbrier appealed the play, claiming LeClair left second base early. The umpires agreed. LeClair was called out, and the rally died.

Post 280’s Jordan Adair came in and pitched a perfect ninth to secure the victory for Greenbrier and make it back-to-back state championships for the team from Chesapeake. Greenbrier (21-3) returned only four players from last year’s team.

Greenbrier will head to the regional tournament in Sumter, S.C., next week. West End ends the season with a 21-7 record.

“It’s a disappointing loss, but we had a wonderful season,” Richmond manager John Boyer said. “We were kind of running on fumes, got off to a rough start and fought back. Then we had a major bad call. It was wrong. It was wrong. It is just a tough situation.

“That’s the way it goes and we just want to thank the hosts of the tournament. They have been awesome and it has been great for the kids. It is just frustrating how it ended.”

Greenbrier, which had a pair of speedsters at the top of the order, took full advantage of its baserunning prowess. Leland Clemmons and Kellyn Simons combined to steal seven bases and score four runs.

Post 280 had scored its first four runs without getting a hit. West End was teetering on the brink of a blowout when Matt Lees relieved starter Weldon Vaughn in the third inning. Post 361 trailed 4-1 and Greenbrier had runners on first and third and nobody out. Lees coaxed a run-scoring double play and a fly ball. Thereafter he was all but untouchable, allowing two hits and a walk and striking out eight.

West End rallied in the fourth with three runs on RBI singles by Travis Biddix, John Lloyd and Zach Hynes. That surge the deficit to 5-4, but that was as close as Post 361 would get.

LeClair led the way on offense for West End by going 2-for-3 with a run and a sacrifice fly. Jarrett McNeil earned the win for Post 280. He went seven innings allowed four runs, seven hits and three walks. He struck out four in his first start of the season for Greenbrier. Clemmons was named tournament MVP.

West End reached the finals by clubbing the host team, Lynchburg Post 16, by a 16-2 score earlier in the day.

Starting pitcher Andrew Woods picked up a complete-game victory for West End. Woods held Lynchburg to two runs, five hits, two walks and struck out six. Post 361 took a 4-1 lead in the top of the third and never looked back.

West End broke open the game with a 10-run sixth inning. Post 361 outhit Lynchburg 13-5. All but one starter had at least one hit. Four players had at least two. Biddix led the procession with three hits.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.