Skip to main content

December 24, 1944

Today we flew our fourteenth combat mission. We bombed the Marshalling yards at Koblenz. The flak was light but accurate. We picked up two holes. When we got back to England there was ground fog all over except along the coast; we landed at the coast. We ate at the base where we landed and waited until midnight for trucks to take us home. It took us four hours to travel sixty miles. It was so **** cold we could hardly feel ourselves after the first couple of hours. That’s how we spent our Christmas Eve. A bunch of tired, cold and dirty guys.

38/100 G. P.
8:00 Hrs

May GOD Bless all of our men and women who are defending our right to celebrate this holiday season however way we may chose. May GOD keep you safe and return you home soon.

MERRY CHRISTMAS & PEACE

USAAF 8th AF Heavy 398th 602nd

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Biggerpapi – I wasn’t even a “glimmer” when this was entered into my father’s combat diary. He was just out of high school barely 19 years old – flying combat missions in the tail of a B-17. They were supporting the Battle of the Ardennes or Battle of the Bulge. It was the first time that weather cleared enough to fly since the battle started on December 16th. My father use to comment; “Santa wasn’t the only one delivering presents that Christmas eve”. It’s a tradition in my household that, after grace on Christmas Eve, we read this entry from his flight log. I think that it is important that my children understand the sacrifices that are made – past and present – so that they can be home “snug” in their beds.
quote:
Originally posted by Smokey:
Biggerpapi – I wasn’t even a “glimmer” when this was entered into my father’s combat diary.

Oops! Sorry. You look much older in your Avatar!

What a cool story. In another thread we asked/answered the question if our 18-19 year old sons were ready for college or MLB. Can't even imagine him being ready for bombing missions.

God bless you and your father.

That's quite a story and quite a family tradition Smokey. And as a tie-in to your avatar the Boeing® B-17 'Flying Fortress' was used for many, many years as a 'retardant bomber' to fight forest fires. It was always quite a thrill and a relief to hear those four strong engines and the flight crew getting closer and closer to the action and finally letting loose their 3,600 gal. payload of fire snuffing slurry!

Take a look.

And here too.

Last edited by gotwood4sale

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.