Skip to main content

Like most people I sat around my computer most of the day watching the surreal scene play out. My son was approximately 11 at the time. We were scheduled to play a fall league game that day around 6:00. I was head coach, so I got phone calls and e-mails asking if we were going to play. I sort of felt like we shouldn't let what happened change the way we lived our lives. But I honestly didn't know what to do. I talked it over with my folks and we decided to show up and see what happened.

I remember showing up at the field. But the main thing I remember is how quiet everything was. No planes flying overhead. Not much traffic driving by the field. No yelling, no screaming. Even the kids were quiet (relatively). I remember that all but one of my players showed up. I remember the other team showing up. I remember a lot of shocked faces. I remember discussing what we should do about the game. But what I don't remember is the game. I couldn't tell you if we played or not. (My sports reporter assistant coach who did an article on the game a few years ago says we did). I couldn't tell you if we won or lost.

I hate to keep using the word surreal over and over, but that's what it was. The memories of how I felt at the ballfield are almost as strong as the memories of how I felt watching the drama play out on the computer.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My husband was coaching fall ball.We had a scheduled practice that day.We cancelled.The other coach felt that we should practice.We told him that as a family we would stay in as a family and be together.We told him of he flet like running the practice he could call the team up and schedule.He said baseball was what should be happening on a day like this.We didnt feel that way.I remeber that day, as we had just got home from a three week visit to New York two weeks prior to the bombings.We felt it was a time for mourning, prayer and family.Everyone deals with tragedy in different ways.
My sons were 13 and 15 - middle school and high school.

At the time, I worked out of an office in my home, and did not have any TV or radio on. But I happened to call my sister to discuss a travel problem my elderly mom was having, and my brother-in-law answered the phone and said "Turn on your TV".

I walked from my office into the family room, turned on the TV, and could do nothing but stare at it for hours. My husband was on duty as a police sergeant but stopped home quickly to make sure I knew. He walked in, in uniform, and saw me staring at the TV. His words to me were "The world will never be the same." He was right.

Julie
My son was 9 at the time. We didn't play ball for a week either. That weekends games were cancelled. We are also close enough to have seen smoke rising from the area of the towers, as well as knowing people personally that had perished at the site.

The people in this area seemed to stop and stand still for a long period of time...
Not playing ball back then but I will share that having lived in NYC for most of the 1990s, I had a secondary awful feeling of wanting to be there to help but being unable to go. I had the feeling of a dad who could not make it to his high school son's state championship football game due to a delayed flight. Wanting so badly to be there and feeling powerless in my desire to go. I spent much of the day playing with our 1 and 3 year old girls, pushing the former on a tricycle and cheering the latter on.
My brother-in-law was killed on September 11, as well as several neighbors. Our kids played every scheduled game and we all tried to keep our lives moving forward as we do today. We all hope that you do the same. Tomorrow we will attend a hometown service for the dead - its the first time we've attended in a few years. However, the college kids (including my nieces and nephews that lost their father) are staying at school. That's where their lives are - in the future.
There was a message on the answering machine: Football practice is canceled tonight. Be there tomorrow, regular time.

Tomorrow, some parents were very upset with the decision to practice, and felt the weekend's games should be canceled. (a few of them never got over it) The club and the league felt it would be best to 'play on'. There was a moment of silence before each game. All helmets bore small American Flag stickers for the rest of the season. The club's program switched to a big, waving Stars and Stripes on the cover.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.