Skip to main content

Anyone know when PG will typically post the schedule for this event?

If I counted correctly, there are 204 teams for this event. I can't imagine trying to run a tournament this large.It should be a blast.
"In order to excel, you must be completely dedicated to your chosen sport. You must also be prepared to work hard and be willing to accept destructive criticism. Without 100 percent dedication, you won't be able to do this." Willie Mays
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

YoungGunDad,

Just to be clear... We lease the East Cobb Complex along with about 28 other sites North of Atlanta.

Guerry Baldwin and East Cobb do NOT run the tournament. We have a contract to use their facility. We bring about 80 employees to Georgia and we run the WWBA tournaments from beginning to end. We also hire local people to help.

Believe me, we make the rules, we sign up the teams, we make out the schedule and reschedule when needed, we hire the umpires, we provide the balls, insurance, administrators, gate keepers, scorekeepers, and deal with the scouts and college coaches, and we field the complaints. And most important we pay all the bills!

East Cobb owns the complex and takes care of the grounds at their complex. Other than that they have some teams that play in our tournament. They also play in our tournaments in Florida every year and have played in other tournaments that we run. We actually run tournaments in many locations around the country.

I just think it's important that people know who is in charge of these tournaments. Confusion about that can lead to problems.

All that said, we have a very good working relationship with East Cobb.

We usually release the schedule a few days before the tournament. Teams that cancel late can cause havoc with the scheduling of pool play. There are 216 teams (from coast to coast) in the 17U. We had to turn away another 200+ teams this year. We expect somewhere between 700 to 1,000 MLB scouts and college coaches. There will be well over 100 agents there as well.

The WWBA 16U, 17U and 18U Championships in Georgia are the largest tournaments played on full sized fields in baseball history.
quote:
We usually release the schedule a few days before the tournament. Teams that cancel late can cause havoc with the scheduling of pool play. There are 216 teams (from coast to coast) in the 17U. We had to turn away another 200+ teams this year. We expect somewhere between 700 to 1,000 MLB scouts and college coaches. There will be well over 100 agents there as well.

The WWBA 16U, 17U and 18U Championships in Georgia are the largest tournaments played on full sized fields in baseball history.

The fact that you took the time to reply to this post during such a incredibly hectic time says a ton about the commitment you put into this. Very much appreciated PGStaff.

216 teams...Like I said, I can't begin to wrap my brain around what it must take to pull that off.
My son has attended PG WWBA Championship Tournament the past few years at East Cobb. Very well run event with great competition and tons of scouts around. He's on his way down there now with his team for 18U event (not sure why team is making the effort this year but that's another story).

What I don't understand is why would any scouts attend 18U event? Unless its to see the 17U teams, which there seems to be many, it makes no sense for scouts to watch 18 year olds who are all set for next year.
Last edited by igball
There are many reasons that both college and pro scouts attend 18U tournament and they are the same reasons alot of 18U teams go down also.

1. Pro Draft has just recently taken place, and between NLI High Schooler's being drafted there were also College undergrads that were taken too. The colleges will need to replenish for the voids.

2. There are some 18U talent still available and I have seen kids get offers all the way up to August for colleges.

3. Pro scouts all of the time looking for that hidden gem that was over looked.

4. Some of the kids that gave verbals changed their mind when it came to signing NLI, so there might be openings there also.

BIGGEST reason is just to play the game.
Last edited by kingjam
Along with the points "kingjam" mentioned...

Not sure how many this year, but last year there were over 100 players in this tournament who were drafted and did not sign until later in the summer, if at all. Actually Zach Greinke signed at this very tournament.

There are many MLB scouts, even scouting directors watching the players they just drafted along with others. In fact, it might be the best place to see several of their draft picks without traveling from coast to coast to see them one at a time. Some players have greatly increased their value at this event. Several have signed pro contracts at this event.

There are also a large number of colleges and pro scouts looking at the many top 17 year olds playing on teams at this event. Many colleges also show up to support and see (and protect) the players they have signed for next year.

Then there are the many 18 year olds that weren't drafted or haven't committed to a college... They are free agents for the summer. A few years ago Matt Wieters went undrafted out of high school. He exploded at this tournament (named the MVP) offers started flying.

Besides... If you're a player with talent, it's always good when decision makers see you. It might pay off now or it may pay off later. Reports are turned in on all top players.

And there are colleges looking for players for next year. Many players will get recruited out of this event.

Now if a player is set for college, went undrafted, and has no interest in playing in front of scouts, the only reason to play would be the competition which is great and a chance to win the rings as the WWBA National Championship team.

BTW, It always makes sense for scouts to watch talented players. That is what they do! Find talent!

igball, I hope your son plays well and enjoys the tournament. Good things have happened for many players at this event, even if it happens later on.
Interesting perspectives. My only reason for potentially not attending was based on saving money for fall tuition but it doesn't matter what I think, he would have hitch-hiked down there to play.

The past two years son's team lost each year to eventual champion so hopefully things will be different this year.

Doesn't look like ABD is bringing its top team (did they all get drafted?) and others seem to have put a lot of 17U on their rosters so not sure who the favorite teams are. (Sons team beat Midland 2-1 last week so they should be ready to compete.)
igball,

I sure understand and can appreciate the money thing. Sounds like your kid is someone I would really like if I were his college coach.

ABD did have a lot of draft picks, but they have reloaded. Not sure who would be the favorite this year. Last year the East Cobb Braves won this tournament beating the Florida Bombers in the final. Both teams had mostly 17U players.

Best of luck
PG...

We played in the tourney several years ourselves and I just assumed that Baldwin ran these tourneys while PG was there. Just goes to show how little I knew about who actually ran the tourney. I humbly apologize for I truly didn't mean to make it appear that someone else did the great job while all these games, scheduling, hiring, etc. was taking place.

The WWBA's were some of the best memories I've had with son during those ages and wouldn't trade it for nothing. Well, maybe during the gulley washers that blew up out of no where to cause havoc....but other than that...lol.

My hat is off to you.
YoungGunDad,

No problem, I just thought it was important to clear that up. Along with all the accolades there are always a certain amount of complaints. People need to know that we are in charge so they know who to complain to.

No disrespect to Guerry or East Cobb. There's no question that East Cobb's baseball program is the most successful in amateur/youth baseball. And they help us tremendously in these events. However, they would be the first to tell people they don't "run" the WWBA events.

Thanks for the kind words, we are here now trying to ward off the gulley washers.
There are three fields at the complex plus Kell HS across the street. We have seen 100 scouts at the complex with most all 100 glued on one game while a game at the next field might have only a couple watching.

College coaches and scouts go where they think they are most likely to see prospects. We have had fields a long ways from the complex with 100 scouts at one game, while the next game at that same field might be lucky to have 5 or 6. Of course, every game is scouted by our staff and communication with college recruiters and scouts is continually going on.

The one thing we can't control is where the scouts go. It's always good to either have a couple top prospects on your team or on the team you're playing against. That will guarantee attention from scouts and college coaches and many players are discovered this way, no matter where the game is played. If you're on a team with no prospects chances are you won't get as much attention as some other teams except when you're playing against a team with prospects.

There are a lot of scouts and college coaches at the tournament. Word travels fast when a good player is discovered. Word also travels fast if a team does not have much that scouts and recruiters would be interested in.

If a player plays well, people will know and that player will create interest. I wouldn't worry about whose watching because there's always someone evaluating you at every game. If you have talent, this is the place to be, you'll be discovered. Best of luck.
We attended the 18u tournament this week as a 16u team. PG is right. We didn't play any games at East Cobb, but we played against at least one team with prospects (ABD) and the scouts were there. The field wasn't even close to ECB. So, the scouts will come to where they think the talent is. We also played other games where there were no scouts, so it all depends. Don't think there were many people there to see a 16u team at an 18u tournament. We did do well though. We went 4-1 (one forfeit).

Lucky for us, we are in the area and will be attending the 17u & 16u events as well. We're looking forward to good things. I know my son loves the challenge. The game he pitched, he did well. Went 7 innings, gave up 3 hits, 2 runs, 7 K's, no walks and we won 4-2. Very exciting. Look forward to the next two weeks.
It's also important that each player get his schedule out to every program he is hoping will look at him. Make it easy for them to find you. Hopefully they will have enough interest to make the time to come evaluate you in person.

It also helps to win. I'm not saying you have to go undefeated, but if your team is 0-5 in pool play, it's hard to convince people you have a lot of talent they ought to come see.
Midlo--I agree 100% with what you are saying, but I will add it's important to be with a program that has developed a reputation over several years. Son's Mid-Atlantic Rookies team played first two games at Kell (across street from E. Cobb) and E. Cobb, and while there weren't 100 coaches/scouts there, I would say 60-70 during most of the game. Game 3 was at a remote HS (Campbell) and there were still about 20 coaches for most of the game.
quote:
Well then, when Midlo's VA Cardinals team plays the Rookies it should be a great scout turnout!

I appreciate the compliment but whether we earned it or not is debatable.

We won our first game, then gave up a lead in our second game to lose it. We then put a pretty good push against the LIDS Indiana Bulls on Thursday but came up short. It was one of those games where we were the aggressor all game but couldn't get the big hit when needed, and we lost 3-1. Friday we had a 5-2 lead with one out to go and gave up a 3-run dinger to end in a tie.

By Saturday when we played the Rookies, we looked more drained, dehydrated and worn out than anything else. The Rookies all looked about 6'5" to us (and a lot of them were). Interestingly Cal Ripken's boy, who must be a good hitter to bat cleanup for them, had an oh-fer, and were it not for that who knows how bad it would have gotten. Meaning, we got waxed.

It was not a great year for teams from Virginia generally. The Canes swept their pool but lost their first playoff game. We went 1-3-1 but by my reckoning that placed us tied for 7th among the 14 VA teams there, smack dab in the middle. Several 1-4's and an 0-5 from the Old Dominion. Not the kind of year we're used to having.

That being said, the event was extremely worthwhile for us as a team. At the risk of sounding whiny, we were in a very, very tough pool, with LIDS, Palm Beach PAL, the Rookies, and an East Cobb team in there with us. But we're not complaining. The reality is, I never go down there expecting to play more than 6 games. We just don't have that many kids on our roster to hold back pitching to go but so far. We go there to get our kids scouted, and the best way to do that is to play against the very best teams. So far from complaining about our draw, we were ecstatic about it. I saw some pool games with teams who didn't look all that strong who were winning anyway, and I know some of those guys advanced to the playoff rounds. But I think we accomplished more by playing the very best opposition possible, even though we didn't win much. Scouts know what they are looking at.

Actually by Saturday the scouting was petering out, so there weren't but maybe 6-7 in evidence at our game with the Rookies. (Just as well, fewer witnesses!)

We had maybe 10 at our opening game, then probably 40-50 at our second game at the main complex -- probably 15 were there all game, the rest kind of moving from game to game there.

The game against LIDS brought out pretty much the entire SEC (and then some) to scout the Bulls, in addition to several programs who've been following us, despite being at a pretty far flung location. Our 2012 LHP Nate Kirby gave up 2 walks and a hard double in the first, but then settled in to allow only 2 blooper hits and one unearned run the rest of the way. We lost the game but I suspect Nate will be hearing from some SEC teams in the coming months! There were probably 30 college and pro scouts at that game in all. And one thing about being off by yourself in the boonies, folks didn't wander off to some other backstop. They stayed all 7 innings. And yes, it was a 2:00 p.m. game on a 102 degree day!

One of our kids caught the eye of a scout from a top Midwest program, ended up getting multiple looks from them during the week, and at this point they are talking seriously. Another of our guys was being followed by a mid-major program before coming; they saw him pitch twice this week and are now setting up a visit with an eye towards an offer being made. We have a few guys interested in the service academies and that resulted in multiple games being taken in by VMI, Army, Air Force and Navy. We have some high academic kids, and we got multiple looks from Harvard, Yale, Georgetown, George Washington, William & Mary, UVA and others.

For at least our first 4 games, even when we didn't win we made folks leave the field talking about us. Even when dealing with programs from our home state, going to East Cobb meant they saw our guys going toe to toe with the very best in the U.S. on several consecutive days. We would have liked to have roped in more W's, but this is why you go to East Cobb.

The trip was a big success for us. Sign us up for next year and every year. Yeah, I do hope to win more in the future, but I think we showed well, and that's really what this was about.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
I was fortunate to ride along with son's Rookies team through this event, and we had a blast! Lots of college coaches/scouts in attendance at most games, quality HS satellite fields, and plenty of excitement at the ECB complex. The only downside from my view was the amount of trash everywhere. Blue-haired ladies throwing bags of beer cans in parking lots, which didn't have trash cans, and water/gatorade bottles everywhere, which weren't recycled.

...back to reality!
I would have to agree with MadDogPA. The East Cobb Complex was nice, but relatively dirty. Although, it must be nice for the kids in the program to play there and have a Home Field! That area of Georgia seemed to have a bit of a fungus problem, as many of the fields weren't in the greatest shape. With that said, I was impressed with the athletic complexes at all of the satellite HS fields my son played on. The ball carries well in Georgia, and some of the fields have very short porches, great for hitters...not so great for pitchers!

My son's team finished the tournament 5-1, 4-1 in pool play. They scored 48 runs and only gave up 4. Unfortunately, the four runs given up were in their only loss and kept them out of the playoffs. The loss occurred on a day they had to deal with a 30 minute lightning/thunderstorm delay (we don't get those type of delays in California Wink). Their opponent had no problem with the delay, and came back out with a purpose and played well. They had decent pitching, played good defense, and had a couple timely hits. The delay seemed to hurt us, as we had several mental and physical errors and subsequently lost the game 4-2. That's why you play the game, you just never know what can happen? In the five wins, son's team outscored their opposition 46-0 (3 wins via mercy rule). In one of the games at the complex, I sat in the stands and watched my son's teammate go yard his first three at bats! Yes, it was fun to watch! And yes, PG has him rated correctly, and maybe needs to take him up one more notch!? We had plenty of pitching left in the tank, and it would have been nice to play a few more games! I know that there was a handful of other very good programs that didn't advance, and dealt with similar circumstances, maybe a few wildcards are needed in the future?

Overall I enjoyed my quality father/son time in Georgia. Eight days in a hotel with your kid will do that for you. Although it's nice to be back home sleeping in my own bed. For those that haven't made the trip and experienced this tournament, I highly recommend it! Georgia definitely has that Southern Hospitality, when they say have a good day...I think they actually mean it!? Here are a few things I left with:

Like I said, enjoyed the Southern Hospitality!
Atlanta has some major traffic, just like So Cal!
There are some Big Boys in the South, what do they feed them?
It gets hot, and even though the humidity isn't over-bearing, it's still not our "dry heat".
WAFFLE HOUSE is like our 7-eleven, there is one on every corner! (I need to de-tox from there!)
STEAK N SHAKE...we need that franchise to expand to California...Good Stuff!

Looking forward to next year!
I was taken aback by the magnitude of the tournament and the number of sites coordinated to play games. My son was fortunate to play on a team from New Jersey that had a great deal of talent and went deep into the playoffs, which provided great exposure for the players.

On the personal side, there is nothing like spending a week with your son in a baseball environment like East Cobb. I know from my older guy that these times qo too quickly. We had a blast with the games he played and the ones we watched together. There is amazing talent on display at the PG tournament.

I'm going to have to get used to the Atlanta weather and the traffic, but the hospitality is definitely something to look forward to.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.