Skip to main content

Asst. Coach Billy Godwin is named interim head coach for 2006:

Mazey Suspended

Mazey's pics and info have already been removed from the ECU site. Wow!

===============
@robyounce & @seethegear on Twitter & Instagram

WWBA World Champions (Jupiter) - 2013, 2014, 2015

17u PG World Series - 2013

17u WWB Champions - 2014

16u WWB Champions - 2013, 2010, 2009

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

According to the Daily Reflector, Director of Athletics Terry Holland said in a release indicated that Mazey would not return. He said that assistant coach Billy Godwin will be the acting head coach through the 2006 season and that a search for a new coach would begin after the season. We called that being FIRED!
Dad04, I remember the deer poaching incident quite well. It was alleged that this incident happened out of season, also included a minor, and took place on federal property, but in all fairness I don't recall Mazey being convicted of a crime.
I think he got caught running a deer down to teh fence corner in a federal wildlife area, out of season as you say.

Sounds like he'll have lots of time for hunting, fishing, water colors or whatever.

The general consensus will be he must of really screwed up to get summarily dismissed as fall practice starts.
My sources tell me it has everything to do with dissention inside the program that filtered up to Mr Holland. Several current and former players have been very unhappy with him as a coach. Also some of his current and or former staff have been very unhappy with the way things within the program have been handled. Former Head Coach LeClair endorsed the move by AD Terry Holland. One thing is for sure they have a very good coach to take over the program. Billy Godwin is the current pitching coach at ECU and was the Head Coach at Louisburg College where he was very sucessfull. I know him personally and he is a great guy. I would not be surprised if he didnt win the job full time. Of course it depends on the season they have this year. I dont expect this move will have a negative effect on the recruits coming in. Most of the guys recruited were recruited by Godwin anyway.
Along with the fired Head Coach, the perception of ECU recruiting violations have been circulating over the collegiate summer programs as well among the college recruiting circles.

ECU's AD T. Holland is attempting, with the announcement of a new ECU Head Coach, to keep the upcoming NCAA investigations at bay. However, additional NCAA penalties may be forthcoming.

AD Holland is and remains a respected admin (as well as former UVa Coach), however the levees may not hold the alligators from surfacing!

Stay tuned for the NCAA investigations!

Sorry ECU.

Regards
GW4S,

In this case, some could say the former Head Coach tried to shoot first.
However when all was said and done, the parents of those in the range of fire were attorney's that knew how and when to duck (or shoot back) and received considerations from the schools Admin Board (who ducked the law suit)!

Bottom line: When writing emotional letters, does the ol' fashion measure twice and cut once apply as it does to the carpenters!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.