Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry for jumping the gun. I guess I got a little too excited and reported this sooner than I should have. Anything can happen with these things and I should have known that. My source has been dead on several times so I had no reason to think otherwise on this one.

I stick to coaching high school baseball and leave the MLB scooping to Buster Olney.
Looks like Philly gets Clifton.

mlbtraderumors

quote:
The wait is over. Cliff Lee has agreed to sign with the Phillies, according to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. The deal is worth about $100MM over five years, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (on Twitter).

After months of rumors that suggested he'd sign with the highest bidder, Lee turned down tens of millions in guaranteed money to sign in Philadelphia. ESPN.com's Buster Olney hears the Yankees offered a deal that guaranteed Lee $138MM over six years, plus a $16MM player option for a seventh year (Twitter link).

Like Roy Halladay, who signed an extension that delayed his free agency, Lee opted to play for the Phillies instead of looking for the biggest contract possible. Almost exactly a year after they traded Lee for Halladay, he's back in Philadelphia, where the two Cy Young Award winners, Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels should give the Phillies a historically good rotation.
Last edited by RLB

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.