Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My RHP is at a D3.  He started school at the end of August and they gave the first year guys the first week to get settled into school.  Then after Labor Day, they had captain's practices a couple of times a week, plus workouts.  The coaches were able to work with the team in October so they had afternoon practices with the coaching staff.  Every weekend in Oct was two full days of scrimmages - they divided the team into four teams and each team scrimmaged each other.  The pitchers were given three innings.  The scrimmages were LONG - lots of instruction going on.  Lots of banter in the dug out.  Parents were invited to attend so we went when son told us he was scheduled to pitch.  The last weekend, they traveled for the day to a semi-local D1 (about 90 minutes away) for a scrimmage. 

Outside of the practices, they did several team bonding events.  The entire team went to a Nationals baseball game.  They did a service project.  The guys (no coaches) played paint ball. 

@VA_Mom posted:

My RHP is at a D3.  He started school at the end of August and they gave the first year guys the first week to get settled into school.  Then after Labor Day, they had captain's practices a couple of times a week, plus workouts.  The coaches were able to work with the team in October so they had afternoon practices with the coaching staff.  Every weekend in Oct was two full days of scrimmages - they divided the team into four teams and each team scrimmaged each other.  The pitchers were given three innings.  The scrimmages were LONG - lots of instruction going on.  Lots of banter in the dug out.  Parents were invited to attend so we went when son told us he was scheduled to pitch.  The last weekend, they traveled for the day to a semi-local D1 (about 90 minutes away) for a scrimmage.

Outside of the practices, they did several team bonding events.  The entire team went to a Nationals baseball game.  They did a service project.  The guys (no coaches) played paint ball.

this is pretty much spot on to our experiences.

Games and practice by position every day. Sat/Sun games are open to the public which usually get parents and some stragglers.  A couple scrimmages against the jucos which is solely for the purpose of seeing which juco players can replace our guys.

Pretty sure there was a clean trade between the two coaches last year. They inherited one of ours at Christmas Break and a few weeks later their best arm committed to us.

@PABaseball posted:

Games and practice by position every day. Sat/Sun games are open to the public which usually get parents and some stragglers.  A couple scrimmages against the jucos which is solely for the purpose of seeing which juco players can replace our guys.

Pretty sure there was a clean trade between the two coaches last year. They inherited one of ours at Christmas Break and a few weeks later their best arm committed to us.

My son’s experience was about the same. Loved the JuCo comment. It’s so true. The only fall baseball I was available for was Parent’s Weekend.

No parents allowed at my sons D3 fall baseball scrimmages, which I think all the players and coaches are absolutely thrilled about. They all need a break from parents! They practice six days a week, although two or three of those days are team scrimmages.

Those scrimmages really make or break a players spot on The roster. They don’t cut freshman at my sons school, at least recruited freshman, as the coach feels if he’s going to recruit a player he wants to give them at least a year to show them what they can do. But starting spots are won & lost in the fall, as well as a spot on the bubble, in other words under consideration for having a role.

Things do change by the time the spring season comes around but in general if you want to make a contribution or play much at all in the spring you better be bringing it in the fall

Last edited by 3and2Fastball
@Francis7 posted:

What's the fall like for baseball at your son's school? Just workouts and practices? Any games?

@Francis7 NCAA has specific rules for each division as well as a time line.

In D1, first comes individual instruction then scrimmages, if school is up north first comes scrimmages.

NCAA allows 2 D1 match ups as well as Milb or MLB matchups. Lots of team bonding.

From my son (paraphrasing):   Do not consider it "just workouts and practice".  Incoming Freshman better show up in shape and ready to compete for a starting position.  Coaches have to see that you can contribute and compete.  Coaches form an immediate impression of you and if you don't look and act like you belong it's very difficult to break out of the box they put you in.

@TPM posted:

@Francis7 NCAA has specific rules for each division as well as a time line.

In D1, first comes individual instruction then scrimmages, if school is up north first comes scrimmages.

NCAA allows 2 D1 match ups as well as Milb or MLB matchups. Lots of team bonding.

Yep, fall play is regulated by the NCAA.

D3 is allowed one month of practices, I believe 3x/week, and one weekend of games. No restriction on who the team can play, so D3-D2-D1 matchups are possible in Fall.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.