Skip to main content

2.28 average, as measured by a former D1 college catcher (his travel team HC) so I presume he knows what he's doing (but it is possible that he does not). Excellent location. He turned 15 last February. He's worked hard on the mechanics (transfers), footwork, and throwing. I think that could still improve. Mainly I think he needs to work on velocity. I think he throws about 70. He's got a good to very good arm. He also receives and blocks very, very well. Great on the field leader. He's worked hard to become a quality catcher, not an "also-ran" catcher.

Anyhow. Its a benchmark. He's almost 5'10" and 155 lbs. Very ripped (works out religiously, but lifting and cardio in general, not for velocity specifically). Fortunately, he's an excellent lefty hitter with very good power and, for a catcher, has great speed (steals loads of bases). I presume he needs to get his pop-time to 2.0 minimum. Is that achievable in a year or so? Any specific suggestions for how to make this happen? Thanks.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Batty67:

... He's worked hard on the mechanics (transfers), footwork, and throwing. I think that could still improve. Mainly I think he needs to work on velocity. I think he throws about 70. ..   I presume he needs to get his pop-time to 2.0 minimum. Is that achievable in a year or so? ..

Without seeing him, I'd say generally yes, that is achievable.  Sounds like he's doing all the right things to continue progressing.  Yes, he'll need to improve on that 70, so continue on a throwing program.  Perhaps add in some agility drills  that are focused on footwork to speed up his feet.  With throw-down drills, focus on quick feet and quick release, allowing for maybe a bit less short term accuracy in exchange for long term POP improvement.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Check out the New England Catching Camp. I used to chat with the owner. It's now run by his son. What they teach is very consistent with what a MLB catcher taught my son. The online site is very informative. They have on site and roving camps during the year. If your screen looks the same as mine there's an ad for them on the right of the screen.

Thanks. My son works periodically with an excellent, well-respected catching coach. Every winter and a few private lessons scattered throughout the year. A year ago, his mechanics were very inconsistent but they've improved dramatically.

Practicing on the mechanics and most of all, increasing arm strength and throwing velocity are in order, and the latter will take a focused program and long-term work.

Originally Posted by RJM:

Check out the New England Catching Camp. I used to chat with the owner. It's now run by his son. What they teach is very consistent with what a MLB catcher taught my son. The online site is very informative. They have on site and roving camps during the year. If your screen looks the same as mine there's an ad for them on the right of the screen.

I believe there is an article on that site which breaks down the Pop time mechanics and will help you identify what specifically the kid may need to work on to improve the time.  Good luck. 

Lifts weights, mostly upper body; does lots of abs/back and cardio (like treadmill, runs)--in addition to baseball including long toss--but he is not specifically in a velocity increase program.

Lifting all body parts is important for physical development. I'd highly encourage weight training for the lower body and core as well ("resistance training" is commonly used for core training. That is weight training). As for the cardio, I'm not sure what he does specifically, but if he runs any distance whatsoever - I'd suggest stopping that as soon as possible. Long distance running is not beneficial for baseball at all.

Keep working on footwork and transfers, and continue to develop physical strength. Do proper research on long toss programs and rest periods, etc. It sounds like he's on the right track.

Last edited by J H

My 2017 (5'10, 170lb) was throwing consistent game 2.3 early this year during Freshman ball in the spring, and was measured at 2.19 during tryout throw downs. 

We took a lot of video and saw it was taking him ~1.0 seconds to get rid of the ball.  He spent a lot of time on that and has dropped it to.8 seconds in game and .7 seconds in drills.  That lowered his his Pop time to consistently just under 2.2 in games this summer (I think he lost a little velocity but expect it to come back).  He even hit 2.00 once and 2.10 in the same game over the summer.

I would look at your release time, as there are likely some pretty quick gains there. 

Originally Posted by NDallasDad:

My 2017 (5'10, 170lb) was throwing consistent game 2.3 early this year during Freshman ball in the spring, and was measured at 2.19 during tryout throw downs. 

We took a lot of video and saw it was taking him ~1.0 seconds to get rid of the ball.  He spent a lot of time on that and has dropped it to.8 seconds in game and .7 seconds in drills.  That lowered his his Pop time to consistently just under 2.2 in games this summer (I think he lost a little velocity but expect it to come back).  He even hit 2.00 once and 2.10 in the same game over the summer.

I would look at your release time, as there are likely some pretty quick gains there. 

I think the transfer time could definitely use some work, i am hitting .63 as an average, it is my arm that could use work.

Thread resurrect! Since I last posted, my son worked with a former collegiate (and local HS hero) pitcher on throwing mechanics in general. Using his legs/lower half and following through with a better arm slot. Paid huge dividents on his overall throwing consistency and long-toss especially. But that insturctor has moved on to medical school. Now we're transitioning to a local former D1 catcher to keep it going.

Another update. Working with the former D1 catcher (per September 5 update), who takes catcher-related conditioning almost to a religious level, got his pop-time average of 4 throws to just over 2.1 (with 2.09 his best) at a showcase team tryout last weekend. Plus, he had recently started working with a high-level throwing instructor on synchronizing his mechanics and timing to prep for a 10-week intensive throwing/velocity management program that starts Dec 1st. Hope he can get it down to sub 2.0 in 2015.

Another update. Working with the former D1 catcher (per September 5 update), who takes catcher-related conditioning almost to a religious level, got his pop-time average of 4 throws to just over 2.1 (with 2.09 his best) at a showcase team tryout last weekend. Plus, he had recently started working with a high-level throwing instructor on synchronizing his mechanics and timing to prep for a 10-week intensive throwing/velocity management program that starts Dec 1st. Hope he can get it down to sub 2.0 in 2015.

Best of luck, looks like you are taking a proactive approach.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.