Skip to main content

Let me start out by saying my observations are that of a new parent at a PG event. Additionally most of my perspectives relate to pitching since that is what my son does. However parents of position players can also glean some information based on my account of the event.

Having played baseball "back in the day" I was not expecting the need to take my son to various showcases/tournaments to promote his abilities. My old school way of thinking (which normally serves me well), assumed that "they will find him" because that was the way it was in my time. As a result my son did not attend any of the typical events many kids have been going to for years.
This is my sons senior year and we were told this summer that despite his talent, he was not on anyones radar because we did nothing during his junior year, and we had better get on the ball.
So we have attended a handful of events this summer and fall, not really knowing which ones would be the best ones to attend for exposure. Since that became our primary focus, I've been assessing the various events to figure out which ones offered the best exposure. Most of that is based on the number of scouts, their level of interest, the way a particular event is setup for them to see the various games, the staff running the event, etc.

So after having attended a half dozen events in the last 4 months to get exposed, I've come to some conclusions. Some showcases/tourneys are a total waste of time and money if your goal is to get exposure. At others, you will get more than your moneys worth.

For the purpose of this thread, I'd like to mainly focus on the Perfect Game WWBA World Championship just held a few weeks ago in Jupiter. I was told this was one of the "can't miss events", and after having attended, I would concur with that assessment. This tournament by far had the most coaches and scouts I've ever seen. For that matter it had more scouts than all 5 other events we attended put together. So on that alone I would highly recommend any parent needing to get their son on the radar to attend this event next year.

Of course there are other things to consider as well. At some showcases or tourneys it seems as if some of the scouts are just putting in their time. They can be easily distracted, and are not necessarily paying attention even when they are looking at a game. However I did not find that to be the case with this event. Most had event programs with kids names circled, or notes written beside kids they were interested in. Some scouts stayed at a particular game from beginning to end, especially pro scouts. As a matter of fact, the Toronto Blue Jays seemed to have a scout on every field at the same time. Every few carts that zipped around the facility were from their organization.
The game my son pitched in had a Toronto scout parked there, and he notated every singe pitch he threw. While that might seem like good news related to interest in him, I suspect it was more of a policy of paying attention to every kid in case they showed something special. Regardless of the reason it was refreshing to see so much attention being paid. Furthermore every single field had a Stalker gun set up so that anyone behind home plate could see the velocity of every pitch. Of course many scouts had their own guns, but for those who didn't, the main gun was there.
The staff from PG seemed to be set up at every field, and they also paid attention to the games. Even if one had to step away for some reason, the other was there to keep an eye on things.
Now some things are just the luck of the draw, because you might be on a field that not as many scouts are at during a particular game. You might also not be facing a strong team, hence less scouting interest. Of course you could be facing a very strong team, and then the scouts are 6 deep.
The days we were there my sons team faced some strong teams. Several had rosters full of committed D1 kids. The day we were not there, the opposing team was weak and at an isolated field, so very few scouts showed up to that game based on what we were told by fellow parents.
Since the event has no direct control over the scouts, some games are lightly attended based on the time and location, but again since so many scouts are there overall, you are bound to have at least a handful. Not all the schools your son might be interested will be at your sons game, so it is the luck of the draw. It would be impossible for every scout to attend every game. Still many had golf carts and were zipping from game to game.

As some knowledgeable people told me, events like these have no guarantees. Your son must perform when he gets his opportunity. All you can hope for is to place him in an environment that has scouts watching. I can honestly say that this PG event lived up to it's billing as a can't miss event. I will not hesitate in recommending this event to anyone hoping to have their son be seen by college and professional scouts. This is the only PG event I have ever attended, but based on how this one was run, I can only imagine their other events live up to what they represent them to be.

Feel free to ask any questions as I'd be happy to give something back to this forum.

--- It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. Theodore Roosevelt - April 23, 1910

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good Stuff Vector.. Hope VectorJR gets a good fit next year.

On another note, If you do not have a team to play on ( I know there is only one AZ team that always goes to Jupiter and it would be an honor to be part of it if Jr makes the cut someday) you could request a personal invite to play for PG teams. Perhaps you can also try to play for other teams if they have contact information provided.

I know Coach Merc coached one team this past event. Is the PG invite on a first come first served basis?

Good luck again vector!
I'd like to echo Vector.

We attended the 2010 PG Underclassman World Championship at Ft Myer, our first PG event. My son pitched two innings and had more scouts observing than all of last summer. That doesn't include any scout that wasn't wearing a college shirt.

Another observation--the games we played against with teams having tons of talent, had scouts tripping over each other. This was a great opportunity for our kids to get exposure.

This isn't a plug for PG, only a testimony from one baseball dad to another (or mom Smile).
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

As to the invite, I can only speak about my experience. We did not have a team and were 3 weeks away from the start of the tourney. I applied for a spot through PG and waited for a reply. In the mean time my sons varsity coach found a team for him that was put together in just a short period of time. PG got back to us saying they had a spot for him on a team, but we informed them we already had a team. We never met the coach or practiced with the team, just showed up and were ready to play. So I guess PG has a system by which they put kids on teams looking for players. I imagine position players have a harder time finding a spot on established teams as opposed to pitchers which every team can typically use more of.
quote:
Awesome post and experience. You really have to be on your toes in Jupiter or you'll get run down by one of those speeding golf carts!

Agreed!

We had a great experience there. We had been to several PG tourneys where he performed very well, plus Underclassmen twice. His PG rating was respectable and accurate as far as we were concerned, but not spectacular. As far as we know, 2B was only on one school's radar up until then. Thankfully there are a few guys who are looking for athletes/line drive hitters - they don't care what position they play.

Other than this school, 2B had been playing in front of the same recruiters for years, but they were always there to watch someone else. 2B hit and hit and hit, made play after play after play, has a phenomenal GPA, and it was like he was invisible. I think there is some truth to the notion that some scouts/recruiters don't look at second base. I admit to getting a little frustrated.

But then 2B surprised everyone, including himself, when he threw 88 off the mound at Jupiter.

"Oh," they said. He does have an arm. Big Grin

Good things are happening now. If he hadn't been there, and hadn't put in the work to be at the top of his game at the right time, he'd still be flying under the radar.
Our son went to this PG Event and the Underclass World Series.

Braxton plays ALOT and these two events where the best HANDS down. And the response from the Scouts/Schools/Etc is termendous.

Braxton went with a team he had never played with before with great turnout. They didn't win every game but the purpose was to be seen, and he was.

Search for Coach Merc if you don't have a team. We didn't play for him, but I do hold him with great respect as he does for the players!

If you have the opportunity, it's worth all the money, headache and great amount of time it is to get to it. Even if it with a PG team. Go

Good Luck.
quote:
Originally posted by martinez4baseball:
Our son went to this PG Event and the Underclass World Series.

Braxton plays ALOT and these two events where the best HANDS down.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

My son has since participated in the PG showcase in Ft Myers last month, and I was again impressed with the professionalism. The event is well run and organized. There were plenty of scouts, and the PG employees were sitting at every game paying attention to what was going on.
For those of you reading this who have not attended showcases before, you might be wondering why I make such a big deal about them paying attention. The sad truth is that some other events put on by different organizations do not have the same professionalism. So while my son only attended a handful of events this fall, it is refreshing to see people taking their job seriously. It does your son no good if he makes a great hit or strikes out a blue chip batter, but no one is paying attention or documenting it.

The bottom line for me is that PG events are the best scouted and run by far.
Last edited by Vector
This is a GREAT thread and I immediately added it to my "Favorites". One question though, I notice the references are to the PG games, as opposed to a PG Showcase such as the Sunshine events.

From what I know (limited) about the Showcase events, not all have pro scouts or coaches there, but rather the PG folk rate you and post it to their site for all to see.

If you could only afford one, it sounds like you would recommend the PG games over the traditional PG showcase?

I'm pretty sure PG rates the players at their PG games as well?
It's just my opinion, but if you can afford to do both - maybe not in the same year. They really do help for the exposure if your child is good.

From what I'm getting they (scouts/schools coaches) go and check and they watch the videos from the events. Showcases and games. They check them all, even if they were not there.

We've not been able to afford the showcases yet, but if the games are an indication... hold on.

Good Luck
quote:
Originally posted by RedSoxFan21:

If you could only afford one, it sounds like you would recommend the PG games over the traditional PG showcase?

We attended the Jupiter WWBA World Championship where different teams competed in several games. Then we recently attended the Ft Myers World Showcase where the boys are broken up and placed on various teams to compete against each other. At both the tourney and showcase the players also had an opportunity to do the 60, do BP, and show their defensive capabilities via a series of drills. They do that because there is no guarantee that the ball will ever be near your son in a game. Of course if your son pitches, he will get his opportunity to show his stuff during the game itself.

I would also note that because of the time of the year, only professional scouts attended the World Showcase. So for those of you thinking I only want my son to play in college, so I'll skip the tourneys/showcases when no colleges are present, keep the following in mind.
I was told from several reliable sources that these professional scouts speak with college coaches often, and give them tips on certain kids they like. Additionally college coaches will contact them asking if they know of any players they might need to fill a roster spot. The pro scouts also want to follow some of these kids, so helping to get them into a college program benefits them as well. So even though a particular PG event might only have pro scouts because of NCAA rules during a given time during the year, it is still beneficial.

As to which one to attend if you can only do one, that is a difficult question to answer. I suspect some of PG's showcases also have college scouts during the year as well. Having both cannot hurt even considering the aforementioned.

If my understanding is correct, you will come away with a rating for attending a showcase, not a tourney.
However you will receive a ranking if your son plays in a tourney.
I'm not sure where my son ranked after the tourney because I do not have access to the information, but the coaches and scouts do. However his rating recently appeared on his profile page for anyone to see.

How much these ratings/rankings mean at the end of the day I'm not sure, but since it has the PG name attached to it, I suspect it holds some significance with the people that matter.
quote:
Originally posted by RedSoxFan21:
This is a GREAT thread and I immediately added it to my "Favorites". One question though, I notice the references are to the PG games, as opposed to a PG Showcase such as the Sunshine events.

From what I know (limited) about the Showcase events, not all have pro scouts or coaches there, but rather the PG folk rate you and post it to their site for all to see.

No, ratings only come from showcases.
Depending on what your goal is, the two events accomplish two different things.
I agree with doing both, we did them in different years, plan ahead. Also stick to a showcase that makes sense, and affordable. JMO.
Your best bet is to call PG to get a definitive answer.
In my case we were told to fill out a questioner. It took a little while but someone from PG emailed to say there was a team for my son to participate on. So I assume they checked to make sure my son could at least play at some minimum standard they have set.

Of course the assumption with established teams must be that most of their players are good enough. However the criteria they use to determine which kids will be accepted on the teams they form is something only they know.

Here is the link for contacting them.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Contacts.aspx#1

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.