Skip to main content

How do D1 colleges treat out of state scholarships as it applies to their 11.7 total? Meaning is tuition for public out state players considered roughly a 50% scholarship (even though dollar wise it may be more) thus leaving another half for the college to give out to another recruit ?? Sorry if I am confusing. I am not concerned about who receives more $$ in these examples only the actual scholarships remaining.

Example:

State University (D1) offers an in state player tuition $10,000 (a fictional number) which is roughly a half or 50% baseball scholarship with the player to pay for room and board $10,000 thus totaling $20,000 for the year. The school has remaining a half or 50% to offer another player. So 11.7 - .5 is 11.2 remaining.

Now a player (from out of state) receives tuition, but the value since he is out of state is say $18,000.. Even though the monies make the scholarship worth more than 50% (in this case almost 65%) the question is,

Is that out state scholarship considered a half when the school calculates how many scholarships it has used out of its D1 max of 11.7 thus 11.7 - .5 =11.2??? or is it 65% so 11.7 - .65 = 11.05 remaining???

Is the program being deducted from its funds the out state higher dollars even though it’s the same cost wise internally?????

Please provide your words of wisdom. I thought this might be helpful to know before pursuing out of state colleges.

Thank you.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As far as the NCAA is concerned, dollar amounts have nothing to do with the 11.7.

50% scholarship is 50% of one whole scholarship whether it's given to a player in state or out of state.
I do beleive there is a formula used (average cost of attendance) for the coaches budget. His budget determines how (in state, out of state) he awards the money based on his allotment of 11.7. Your only concern is that you pay the difference back to the school, in state or out of state.

If I am wrong someone please correct me.
Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.