Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Might be a scam in this case but athletics has a long and rich history of hazing. Very short hop from "busting chops" to bad situation. When you combine the high end physicality, highly competitive enviornmnet, close quarters with an indifferent coach it can lead to some pretty ugly stuff. Wasn't so long ago that the WC Mepham High School Football program in Long Island had the assualt problems that cancelled a football season.

In a worst case scenario you can have coaches directly supporting the "razzing' to "toughen" up players. This can get worse if the player is an underclassman threatening an upperclassman's position. I think almost all of this stuff goes unreported because of the fear that raising the issue is worse than enduring the hassle. It is almost impossible to prove without a good portion of the team supporting the accusation and even then it is what was said and what did it mean. With the recording technology it's only a metter of time before more Woody Hayes, Bobby Knight or bullying stuff is exposed.

One last thought for those that mock parents attending practice....could this kind of junk be a reason why outside viewing is unwelcome?
I'd be willing to bet there was something going on beyond the basketball court here. It almost sounds more like an off court issue between the girls (can you infer a boy here?) that spilled over on the bb court.

Coaches may or may not have known about the off court antics though. I suspect they will be scapegoated over this. I would be interested in finding out why the 'bully' went after this girl though.
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
A bully injuring a star player in practice sounds odd. It would make the bully unpopular with the rest of the team.

I agree.

That combined with allegation of the older sister really makes this story suspect.
What coach is going to allow this to happen when his main goal is to have a winning season.

As to bullying in general, I think it is something all kids will go through at some point. I am not talking about physical beatings, so maybe they use different terminology these days. But kids will find things to pick on with other kids, just like adults do in the real world. If a kid never learns how to deal with it, they will be ill equipped to as adults.[/QUOTE]
Last edited by Vector
quote:
Originally posted by Vector:

As to bullying in general, I think it is something all kids will go through at some point. I am not talking about physical beatings, so maybe they use different terminology these days. But kids will find things to pick on with other kids, just like adults do in the real world. If a kid never learns how to deal with it, they will be ill equipped to as adults.

We're lucky enough to live near a playground/park. It's Lord of the Flies, every day. There's no 8U ball there. It's WhoeverShowsUpU. No refs, no uniforms. You either play, or you watch. You figure it out quickly, or the older kids will teach you, personally.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.