Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well hope I'm not breaking the rules here because he's not my son but one of the players on the team I'm asst. coach for was drafted by the Yankees in the 14th round. William "Rookie" Davis was drafted as a pitcher although some scouts said he has one of the strongest bats as a high school player. Maybe if pitching won't work out he can hopefully pull an Ankiel and make it as a position player.

As good as a baseball player he is he's an even better person from a great family. I'm sorry if this comes across as bragging but I guess I am LOL. I may never coach a player as good as he is again the rest of my career so I want to enjoy it.

Best of luck to everyone on here who had someone - family, player, friend - drafted this year.
Not HSBBWEB player per se, but two of my son's high school teammates were drafted today:

Marcus Semien, 6th Rd. White Sox

Matt Flemer, 19th Rd. Royals

Both are Juniors at Cal. Drafted and on their way to the Super Regionals! Way to go boys!!

Congrats also to Erik Johnson, Dixon Anderson, Chadd Krist and Kevin Miller (hope I didn't miss anyone) - the other Cal Bears drafted so far. Go Bears!
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Williams:
Dante Bichette Jr. was one of our players traveling to Australia last December. He was drafted by the NY Yankees in the 1st round. A very good player and a good person.
Best Wishes;
Bob
Goodwill Series/Australia

Names help along with talent Bob. Wayne Gretzsky's son, Shawon Dunston's son, and Ivan Rodriguez's son were all drafted.
Last edited by ClevelandDad
Shawon Dunston Jr. played in our HS league and on our son's summer travel team. Super nice kid and dad. Sr. always willing and happy to talk to kids on the other team about baseball, winning, improving, playing the game right.

Cute little story...at least I think so. My son and Jr. would text back and forth a lot before/after games. Last season (2010) my son struck him out several times in a game...usually on a curve ball. Shawon Jr. texted him, 'How come you always throw me curve balls?' Son responded, 'Cause you can't hit 'em.'

Fast forward to this year...son hasn't lost a HS game in over a year on the mound. Facing Shawon Jr.'s team in early season league game...got him out a couple of times, once by K I think...takes no-no into 6th inning of 0-0 game. First pitch to Shawon he hangs a curve ball...WHAM! Gone...2-run dinger. We lose 2-0, son gets loss.

I ask him after the game..."Ok son, after texting (taunting) Shawon Jr. for over a year about the curve ball, what do you think he was looking for?"

DUH!

Jr. got the last laugh I guess. Great kid. I wish him the best whether at Vandy or in the Cubs system.
Last edited by justbaseball
One of my former players and a young man I coached from T-Ball through HS was selected in the 3rd round. Pratt Maynard - Catcher - NC State. Pratt was a pitcher and corner infielder coming out of hs. He was a walk on at NC State after turning down several offers to smaller D1's. He always dreamed of playing for the Wolfpack and was willing to take a shot at it. I am very proud of Pratt. A tremendous work ethic who would not be denied. When they asked him if he would try it behind the plate the fall of his freshman year he said "I don't care where you put me as long as I can get on the field." Congrats to Pratt I am very proud of him.
quote:
One of my former players and a young man I coached from T-Ball through HS was selected in the 3rd round. Pratt Maynard - Catcher - NC State.

I watched Pratt play three games this spring against my son's team. He has an extremely powerful stroke. He was a pleasure to watch. At least until ...

1) He hit a rocket back at our Friday night starter, hitting his wrist and taking him out of commission for 7 weeks with a broken bone;

2) In the top of the 9th, with nobody on, two out, and the score tied, he hit a pop foul that my son couldn't quite handle. Next pitch Pratt blasted for a double, and he scored the winning run when the next batter singled.

Those are two reasons why I was glad Pratt was drafted in the 3rd round. Smile
I always enjoy the draft and getting to see which players I've coached at one time or another get selected. This year, the following players who are members of, or formerly were, EDH Vipers,were selected

Andrew Susac, C, 2nd round to San Francisco Giants
J.D. Davis, RHP, 5th round to Tampa Bay Rays
Kyle DeVore, RHP, 27th round to Texas Rangers
Dylan Chavez, LHP, 32nd round to Minnesota Twins
Nate Esposito, C, 46th round to Oakland Athletics

It's always fun to see kids you know and coached at one time or another acheive this type of success for themselves. Congratulations guys!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.