Skip to main content

I'm sure most of you know the Summer state tournament starts next Monday. In the past many of you have expressed frustration with not being able to follow the scores in the different regionals and finals. Last year we posted every bracket online. If you are interested in following this years tournament here is the directions to get to the site.

www.bracketmaker.com
a) click on "Find a tournament"
b) click on "Illinois"
c) click on "baseball"
d) look for IHSBCA Summer 08 and click on exp. "Glenbard South Regional"

Some brackets are online already and some still need to be updated with official game times. These should be updated over the next couple days.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

At Maine West today the Dolphins came back in dramatic fashion to win their second round game 11-8.

At the top of the 6th inning the Dolphins were trailing 8-2 and things looked bleak. However, a 4 run sixth inning closed the gap, and in the top of the seventh inning the game completely changed with Young scoring 5 more runs to take the lead. John Schrieber hit a 3 run homerun over the right field fence. The catcher Steve Giononi went 5 for 5 at the plate.

The winning pitcher was Pedro Rosa.

Young faces Oak Park at Fenwick tomorrow.
Last edited by Dolphin Mom
Young loses to Oak Park 6-5. 4 unearned runs and one base running blunder. Unfortunately, too many mistakes by WY was the difference in this game played at Fenwick and there were no game ending heroics today.

Gabe Henriques pitched an absolutely great game - going 6-IP - 6 Runs scored on just 4 Hits. 1-K and no Walks. The pitcher did his job, the 5 E's behind him was the losing factor.

Oak Park went through 4 pitchers who issued 6 walks and 1 HBP and had 11 K's. Oak Park also only committed 1-E.

Congrats to Oak Park who moves on. WY picks it up again in the fall.
Last edited by Dolphin Mom
Thank god Sean has great reflexes on the mound . One of the more scarier plays i have seen in a while.

One more thought ...what the heck was sean still doing on the mound with an 8 run lead in the 6th inning ?? Didnt he already throw enough pitches in the game up to that point ?? Maybe save some of those pitches for next week ? The Warren coaches really surprised us by leaving him out there with the game obviously in hand.
Last edited by sulltiger24
Sully, Sean's pitch count was only 82. Plenty of time off now, as he won't pitch again until tues. And yes, I am glad he has good reflexes, too. I liked how he "slam-dunked" the ball after he caught it. And Notre Dame can erase an 8 run lead in a heartbeat.. Great hitters on that team. Your son, Wietecha, etc. I didn't question the coaches strategy at all. I do know he wasn't coming out for the 7th.
Last edited by JKennedy
Yes, Coach. Sully was p*ssed. You have to catch him BEFORE the game if you want him in a good mood. And Sully, I love how our kids still play off of each other. Your son doubles off Sean in his first at bat and almost takes his head off with a comebacker in his next. Sean responds my going yard over Mike's head in right, and jawing at Mike as he comes in to the dugout from the field. Something like... "How'd ya like that one, Kaner?" I bet they would love to play together again sometime. Great to see you guys.. Have a great rest of the summer.
The balls were shooting thru the infield pretty good . Other than that everything looked fine to me . Can i comment on the home plate ump not giving our guys the same low calls he was giving kennedy ?

Once Sean settled down and started to mix up his pitches more frequently ..that made him very tough . He found some rythym as the game wore on and that was all she wrote. He does an excellent job of not tipping off his pitches ..to me ..that is the key to his success along with mental toughness he posseses . doesnt get rattled too often when in a jam . knows how to pitch himself out of it. As you saw ..can also field the position.
Last edited by sulltiger24
This should be interesting, I just noticed this. All 8 teams will play 3 times (M,T,W) and then the #1 and #2 from each pool will play on TH and the winners play F for championship. This will definitely tell us who is the best TEAM when its all over this summer. If you can last 5 games in 5 days and still have something decent on the hill then you are a great team. Can’t wait to see it, it should be fun.

PB2 interested to hear why you guys went with this format this year?

I’ll take BR and OPRF on Fri. Consistent winning programs and two of my favorite head coaches. Good Luck to all teams!

Keep working hard,
Justin Stringer
Do It Right Baseball
Lane Tech Baseball
www.doitrightbaseball.com
HSBASEBALLWEB SPONSOR
2008 IHSBCA STATE SUMMER CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT

POOL A: Waubonsie Valley, Oak Park-River Forest, Lincoln-Way East, Naperville Central

POOL B: Prairie Ridge, Brother Rice, Elk Grove, Warren

Monday, July 21 (at North Central College)
9am:
Waubonsie Valley
Oak Park-River Forest

11:30am:
Lincoln-Way East
Naperville Central

2pm:
Prarie Ridge
Brother Rice

4:30pm:
Elk Grove
Warren

Tuesday, July 22 (at Benedictine University)
10am:
Oak Park-River Forest
Lincoln-Way East

12:30pm:
Naperville Central
Waubonsie Valley

Tuesday, July 22 (at North Central College)
11am:
Brother Rice
Warren

1:30pm:
Elk Grove
Prairie Ridge

Wednesday, July 23 (at Benedictine University)
10am:
Elk Grove
Brother Rice

12:30pm:
Prairie Ridge
Warren

Wednesday, July 23 (at North Central College)
11am:
Waubonsie Valley
Lincoln-Way East

1:30pm:
Oak Park-River Forest
Naperville Central

Thursday, July 24 (at North Central College)
2pm:
#1 Pool A vs #2 Pool B

5pm:
#1 Pool B vs #2 Pool A

Friday, July 25 (at Benedictine University)
7:30pm:
Championship GAme

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.