Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was the 1st base coach and I am now retired, I'm sorry to say. Just too difficult to compete with East Cobb and now a couple of other organizations along with HS coaches that quietly emphasize that future players play summer ball with them. My stepson joined a new organization and is playing with the Atlanta Blue Jays. He is enjoying it and they have been very successful, winning two of three tournaments. The Squirrels had a good run and I miss being around the boys. I think my stepson likes it better with me in the stands. Plus got tired of getting whipped by you NorCal guys. You guys coming to East Cobb for the PG Jr. and Sr,. Championships in a couple of weeks? If so, have a safe trip and good luck to you.
We should be there with NorCal Senior team this year...gotta book the flights today or tomorrow.

I coached against you guys in Kingsport, Tennessee a couple of years ago in the AAU Nationals (15U). Son was with the West Bay Titans at that time. I too was the first base coach, mostly as a favor to the head coach who had no kids on the team. I remember having a nice conversation with your head coach that day.

My son also appreciates having me in the stands these days. Wink
Last edited by justbaseball
I live in the No. San Diego area, so don't really have much info on hotels...If you stay anywhere along Hwy 8 west of the SDSU Campus you'll be close enough to the campus, and close to lots of things to do. There is a wide range from economy to luxury. Is this a USABF Tournament? If so, they usually have everything posted on their web-site. If you have any questions send me a PM.
I remember your team well because they put us out but there is no shame in that because they won the whole thing. We also got knocked out again by them last year in Detroit but this time we had you and errored our way out of a win and they finished 2nd. Many fine players on those teams and great people.

The guy who managed the Squirrels is one of the finest coaches I know. He gets more out of a player than anyone I have ever met. He is very uncoventional in running the team but the boys loved to play for him and always played hard because he wouldn't accept anything less.

MOM X 4, thanks for the info. I am not sure but will check.
I wasn't in Detroit, but my son and wife were. I vaguely remember them coming back to win.

Actually, they got knocked out in next game by East Cobb. And we lost in finals year before to NorCal (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em I guess!).

The year before we beat East Cobb right before playing you guys. That EC game was about the most exciting I've ever been involved with.

Best of luck to you and your stepson. I'll ALWAYS remember the name Georgia "Fighting Squirrels." Best name I've run across.
I'm guessing you're coming out for the USABF tourney. The usabf web site has a link to several hotels in the area. Those on or near the beach will probably be more expensive as are hotels in the Hotel Circle/Mission Valley area. Hotels by SDSU should be a little less expensive.

One note, the USABF tourney's play at fields all over San Diego County. While SDSU is the 'home site', you'll probably be driving all over the place to play -- from the Mexico border, east county and central san diego. Depending upon traffic, it could take an hour or more to go from one field to another.

Also, June can be a little chilly in San Diego, especially at the coast. We get off-shore clouds and overcast. Have your fans bring a sweater or jacket -- you might be surprised that it isn't warm and sunny all day long.

Best of luck
Mays
Justbaseball,

We had you guys on the rope at 6-2 in the 5th when we committed 5 errors and then it was 8-6. Bases juiced the next two innings but as quality clubs do, shut us down. I watched the next game against East Cobb and you guys gave it to them on a silver platter. You got to Miers Quigley (BA #3 '05) for I think 3 runs in the first before he got yanked. Then you guys had about at least 8 errors in the field. I don't really blame the kids because the facility was very, very poor. The Titans manager is a quality guy and a gracious winner. I don't think I will ever forget the Opening Ceremonies at Kingsport during the march of the states when the announcer said " Also representing Georgia, The Georgia Fightin' Squirrels". I was in the stands and had to laugh myself. What a ridiculous name but people came out in droves and followed our team and may never forget us and that's pretty neat.
Unfortunately I will not be making the trip out west. Oh how I would love to go. Got a few parents going out and they will be the ones asking why you guys talk so funny. I was out there in mid April and it was gorgeous except for some morning fog. I don't think the weather is going to be an issue. They just played in northwest Florida and it was 95 degrees with about 100% humidity in the shade! Couldn't even breath and they played in black jerseys. Hey I didn't say they were brilliant. I think the time change may hurt them but what a great opportunity and who has as good baseball than California (okay Texas and Florida) you guys too so calm down. Appreciate the offer coach. Good luck to you and your team.
Maysfan,

Yeah I still have the bug as you can see. Just don't have any more of my own to coach, they're probably happy about that!

Johnny had a very good freshmen year, he really enjoyed himself, the team didn't fair very well though. He's in Alaska for the summer playing in the Collegiate Summer League up there having the time of his life, he calls me all the time, I love to hear the excitement in his voice when he describes what's happening up there. That team is very good, they're 11-1 right now, a far cry from the tough season he went through with Northridge.

Squirrel,

Sorry to hear you can't make it, would have liked to "chew the fat" with you a little out here. I'm sure our game with your boys will be a great struggle, just the way we like it. You Georgia boys can play a little baseball yourselves.

Frank Coit
Head Coach
San Diego Prospects Baseball Club

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.