Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think to answer that question, you have to drill down at least one level with the "why".  Why is the aggressive swinger aggressive?  Because that is his intentional approach or because he doesn't recognize very well or isn't the type of hitter who can think situationally?  Is the patient swinger this way because he has a great eye and/or good situational awareness or because he is unsure, not fully confident or generally not a take-control competitor (not aggressive by nature)?  Or does this player put a high premium or focus on drawing walks?  Also, sometimes, the approach is due to  instruction/advice/demand from previous coaches.  Also, what level of success do they have with their approaches?  With both, the cause behind the approach will dictate how difficult it is to coax adjustment.

How's that for a long non-answer?

There are plenty of ways to work either toward optimal but you have to know what is behind the approach. 

Stafford posted:

To help a super aggressive swinger become more patient, or a super patient swinger become more aggressive? Think HS age as opposed to 10 or 11U

A few years back I was asked to come up with a way to show aggressiveness/patience using pitches per PA and AB as the measure. Please see page 1 of attachment.

Shortly thereafter the same person asked me to only look at aggressiveness on 1st pitches. Please see page 2 of attachment. Not much after that he asked me to try to show it in some other very specific situations. Please see page 3 of attachment.

So how are you defining a “super aggressive swinger” as opposed to one who’s an aggressive swinger, an average swinger, a patient swinger, or a super patient swinger?

Attachments

Files (1)

Super aggressive would probably be Vlad Guerrero, but that's probably not the best example. Super aggressive to me would mean swinging at any pitch that was in or very close to the zone, regardless of pitch type.

The super patient batter only looks for fastballs in a particular zone until two strikes are on him. Only then will he expand the zone or swing at offspeed. Regularly goes deep in the count, and will sometimes walk or K without swinging.

old_school posted:
Everyday Dad posted:
PGStaff posted:

Is there such a thing as a great non aggressive hitter?

No as well

And there's no such thing as a great oppo hitter

you lost me here brother, most great hitters use the whole field...IMO.

I'll just put it this way. I'll agree, good hitters use the whole field. But great hitters pull predominantly.

Everyday Dad posted:
PGStaff posted:

No as well

This statement is interesting enough to merit it's own thread, IMO.  I'd sorta like to see it separated as both this and the OP are interesting questions/statements to discuss.

Stafford posted:

Super aggressive would probably be Vlad Guerrero, but that's probably not the best example. Super aggressive to me would mean swinging at any pitch that was in or very close to the zone, regardless of pitch type.

The super patient batter only looks for fastballs in a particular zone until two strikes are on him. Only then will he expand the zone or swing at offspeed. Regularly goes deep in the count, and will sometimes walk or K without swinging.

So the act of swinging combined with the proximity of the pitch to the strike zone is the determining factor?

Everyday Dad posted:
old_school posted:
Everyday Dad posted:
PGStaff posted:

No as well

you lost me here brother, most great hitters use the whole field...IMO.

I'll just put it this way. I'll agree, good hitters use the whole field. But great hitters pull predominantly.

I would disagree.  I could see where the majority of great power hitters are pull hitters, but most great hitters would let the pitch determine where they would hit the ball.

The key is in both cases pitch recognition. A batter should always want to swing and not take pitches. The approach should be yes, yes, yes, no.

If a player is too passive he either has the intention to take the pitch before it is released or he is not reading it correctly as a hittable pitch.

And if he is too aggressive he is not seeing that it is a bad pitch. Don't forget that a hitter only tracks the ball until about 20 feet before it reaches the plate, the rest is extrapolating the final 20. The hard part is not the pitch tracking (although with many beginner players it is) or the vision but the extrapolating job of the brain.

You can train that by seeing a lot of pitches but even at the pro level many never learn it. So I would say you can improve it within some natural limits.

Ideally a hitter takes bad pitches and hits fat ones but if you don't have the best eye better slightly err on the too aggressive side. You want to eliminate the real bad chases like a foot outside the zone but generally if you teach a hitter without good pitch recognition to work the count that will lead to a high obp in little league but to letting hittable pitches going by and falling behind against better pitching.

So if you want to improve don't teach working the count but practice recognizing pitches. If your hitter is too aggresive see were he chases the most and eliminate that one side first. For example if he chases high throw him high pitches and mark a spot 20 feet away. But a marker there how high a letter high pitch is (with a broom stick) and then mark a belt high pitch. Then have a pitcher throw belt and letter high pitches so that the batter learns how a good and a bad pitch looks from 20 feet. You can also do the same with low or in out pitches.

old_school posted:

Are you implying anyone of those is a passive hitter? They might have a good eye but each of those guys swings at least at 2/3rd of all pitches in the zone and probably more in non 0-0 or 3-0 counts. 

A passive hitter is a guy that takes called strikes, laying off bad pitches is not passive.

If you want to be good take balls and swing at strikes unless they are at the very corners of the zone.

Dominik85 posted:
old_school posted:

Are you implying anyone of those is a passive hitter? They might have a good eye but each of those guys swings at least at 2/3rd of all pitches in the zone and probably more in non 0-0 or 3-0 counts. 

A passive hitter is a guy that takes called strikes, laying off bad pitches is not passive.

If you want to be good take balls and swing at strikes unless they are at the very corners of the zone.

no passive hitting is virtually never the best option, but they are guys who use the whole field. somewhere above there was a conversation on pulling the ball is what great hitters do...I disagree completely. There is place to pull the ball and it should happen but great hitters IMO swing early in counts with the pitch they are looking for and use the whole field...often times with power.

Everyday Dad posted:
PGStaff posted:

No as well

That is not really true. Most power hitters have a slight pull tendency  because they pull inside pitches and also pull middle pitches instead of hitting them up the middle but guys who pull everything are usually not that productive.

The best hitters are usually 40% pull, 35 middle, 25 oppo or so. So  slight pull tendency but not a lot, but also consider that mlb pitchers throw outside a lot and a hard and low outside fastball is almost impossible to pull.

There are some extreme pull hitters though but they are usually low average hitters that get shifted a lot. They crowd the plate and hook the outside pitch.

Jose bautista is a good example of this he pulls almost 50% of his balls in play.

Trout and cabrera for example however have no pull tendency at all, they are basically one third each. They can turn an inside pitch but otherwise go with the pitch.

Hitters that can't pull at all are in trouble though.

Well, I figger that is actually a good point y'all are makin' thar, Scorekeep.

Back to the original question, who is easier to help.  I would say the aggressive hitter, as chances are he's the more skilled hitter.  If nothing else, he's got confidence he can hit the ball.  The passive hitter is often afraid to fail.

I see many more kids having a problem with being overly passive in high school ball than I do those being overly aggressive.  It may be that's because more of the latter group are highly skilled than the members of the former group. Just a guess.  And there are a couple things that tend to inflate the numbers of the "too passive" group.  1 - with all due respect to our Blue Brethren here at HSBW, too many HS Umps suck, and in many cases the passive group is getting penalized for having a better sense of the strike zone than the PU.  (Though you can make the case they these players need to adjust to the umpire.)  2 - HS kids are generally coached to lay off soft stuff and swing at fastballs only until they have 2 strikes, and a kid can look awfully passive going to 0-2 while watching 2 slow curves drop float thru the zone for strikes.  At the upper levels, hitters will sit on that pitch and hammer it.

Last edited by JCG

Interesting topic. Patient to passive is a sliding continuum, with "patient" equated with being effective and "passive" equated with being ineffective.

Sticking to the OP, I'd say that, in general, it is easier to "help" an aggressive, SKILLED hitter be more effectively patient...but even that takes time.  An aggressive, unskilled hitter will likely fare more poorly. To anecdotally illustrate my point:

One local, outstanding HS with a premier reputation (I say this because I think it helps local umpires "go along" with their approach to hitting and calling balls and strikes) for being patient at the plate. Most years, I'd say all but their top 2-3 hitters take pitches until they get 1-2 strikes or a really fat pitch to hit.  It is a team-wide approach and VERY EFFECTIVE and often emulated in-game, which never seems to work. One key outcome is that they "burn-through" the starter pretty quickly, who is often the best pitcher of the opposing team given most teams aren't as good as them. And if the opposing team only has 1 good pitcher available, the wheels come off quickly.

A skilled patient hitter probably knows when to get more aggressive, such as a huge/variable or a dominating pitcher with great put-away pitches (jump on an early FB). A relatively unskilled passive hitter has to work on pitch recognition and developing confidence in their swing.

Last edited by Batty67

As I noted earlier, I love discussions like this one simply for the sake of discussion. But sooner or later unless a discussion like this can be used to help improve individual players or the team, it’s of little real value. Of course there are experienced and knowledgeable people out there who can take a look at a hitter and with just that one look determine if he’s aggressive or patient and if he needs coaching to help him improve. But what about that inexperienced coach or parent who need more than one look because they don’t have the ability to tell a patient hitter from an aggressive one or if it’s causing them problems?

FI, how about a 1st year 12U HC who’s undoubtedly busier than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking-chairs? There’s little doubt at least 1 hitter on the team will be a patient hitter whose patience is holding him back, and at least 1 whose aggression is hurting him. With all the other things an inexperienced coach has to deal with, is it possible there’s a way he can use readily available statistics to at least identify who the patient and aggressive hitters are, if not tell who is having that patience or aggression translate into problems?

When I say “readily available” I’m talking about things like pitches per PA that can easily be found even if only paper and pencil are used, up to things like pitches contacted which almost all scoring programs can provide. Of course there are many other metrics available for ML teams, but if they aren’t available to that new HC they really don’t help him at all.

Many of the greatest hitters are both aggressive and patient.  Those two things go together well.

Kind of like looking for a good steak on the grill.  You can be patient while looking them over, but when you find the one you want, you annihilate it.  

Guess too much of anything, aggressive or patient, can get in the way. I like to think in terms of controlled aggression.  That is something that kind of explains the act of hitting a baseball.IMO

Stats4Gnats posted:

As I noted earlier, I love discussions like this one simply for the sake of discussion. But sooner or later unless a discussion like this can be used to help improve individual players or the team, it’s of little real value. Of course there are experienced and knowledgeable people out there who can take a look at a hitter and with just that one look determine if he’s aggressive or patient and if he needs coaching to help him improve. But what about that inexperienced coach or parent who need more than one look because they don’t have the ability to tell a patient hitter from an aggressive one or if it’s causing them problems?

FI, how about a 1st year 12U HC who’s undoubtedly busier than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking-chairs? There’s little doubt at least 1 hitter on the team will be a patient hitter whose patience is holding him back, and at least 1 whose aggression is hurting him. With all the other things an inexperienced coach has to deal with, is it possible there’s a way he can use readily available statistics to at least identify who the patient and aggressive hitters are, if not tell who is having that patience or aggression translate into problems?

When I say “readily available” I’m talking about things like pitches per PA that can easily be found even if only paper and pencil are used, up to things like pitches contacted which almost all scoring programs can provide. Of course there are many other metrics available for ML teams, but if they aren’t available to that new HC they really don’t help him at all.

It doesn't take a genius or brilliant coach to recognize, after a short period of time, a young player who is super aggressive or super patient.  And, if a coach is that new or inexperienced that he can't recognize this, it would be highly unlikely that he could properly interpret any set of numbers on a spreadsheet and then act upon it with relevant, helpful coaching techniques.   Later, at a level when everyone involved has a reasonable level of advanced baseball competency, then those numbers may be useful as an added tool to compliment/confirm/bring to question what that coach/staff is already seeing and acting on.

There are plenty of teaches to address either.  Like I said in my previous post, the key is determining why, what type of aggressive or patient, and finding out what the hitter's thought process is.  There are plenty of drills and instructions to improve pitch recognition, strike zone awareness, proper count/situation awareness, mental approach, focus, etc.  Of course, having the right swing mechanics and physical skill set to allow one to succeed against the opponent's pitching is a necessity as well.  

Exactly, and I don't think there was any mention of using metrics in the OP.  Using Stats' FI of a 12yo coach, when I coached at that level we had almost 6 weeks of practice before opening day, followed by just 16 regular season games.  Clearly any coach waiting on statistics before figuring out which hitters needed help with what would be guilty of grievous coaching malfeasance. 

cabbagedad posted:It doesn't take a genius or brilliant coach to recognize, after a short period of time, a young player who is super aggressive or super patient.  And, if a coach is that new or inexperienced that he can't recognize this, it would be highly unlikely that he could properly interpret any set of numbers on a spreadsheet and then act upon it with relevant, helpful coaching techniques.   Later, at a level when everyone involved has a reasonable level of advanced baseball competency, then those numbers may be useful as an added tool to compliment/confirm/bring to question what that coach/staff is already seeing and acting on.

There are plenty of teaches to address either.  Like I said in my previous post, the key is determining why, what type of aggressive or patient, and finding out what the hitter's thought process is.  There are plenty of drills and instructions to improve pitch recognition, strike zone awareness, proper count/situation awareness, mental approach, focus, etc.  Of course, having the right swing mechanics and physical skill set to allow one to succeed against the opponent's pitching is a necessity as well.

No, it doesn’t take a genius to recognize one of those hitter types, but your assumption that all coaches and all parents look for that seems very optimistic to me, and that goes for a great many things someone experienced would see or look for. It’s a bit difficult to apply coaching techniques when you don’t know there’s something there that might require that coaching. That’s why I firmly believe having those numbers available can be an enormous help. I think sometimes you very experienced coaches and parents forget what it was like when you weren’t very experienced.

I think for a prospect it is way better to be too aggressive. Scouts do consider approach and an advanced approach gets a plus but still talented hitters with no plate discipline or a plan at the plate get drafted high because teams think they can fix that.

Longenhagen of fangraphs gets asked a ton why there isn't a grade for plate discipline and he always says that the amateur level is too different to evaluate patience.

Thus plate discipline is usually a side note on the hit tool like "hit tool plays up due to advanced approach" or vice versa "raw free swinging approach needs improvement".

JCG posted: Exactly, and I don't think there was any mention of using metrics in the OP.  Using Stats' FI of a 12yo coach, when I coached at that level we had almost 6 weeks of practice before opening day, followed by just 16 regular season games.  Clearly any coach waiting on statistics before figuring out which hitters needed help with what would be guilty of grievous coaching malfeasance.

What difference does it make whether metrics were mentioned in the op?

It seems to me that your idea of what metrics are is extremely limited. It also seems to me that you believe unless a metric is normalized by a large sample it’s not valid.

If you can identify something by eye it can also be identified by metrics, as long as it can be defined and tracked. Why do you think there’d be “waiting on statistics “?

Dominik85 posted:

I think for a prospect it is way better to be too aggressive. Scouts do consider approach and an advanced approach gets a plus but still talented hitters with no plate discipline or a plan at the plate get drafted high because teams think they can fix that.

Longenhagen of fangraphs gets asked a ton why there isn't a grade for plate discipline and he always says that the amateur level is too different to evaluate patience.

Thus plate discipline is usually a side note on the hit tool like "hit tool plays up due to advanced approach" or vice versa "raw free swinging approach needs improvement".

Why is plate discipline more difficult to determine for amateurs than professionals? How is it determined for professionals?

But here I am once again wondering how an amateur parent or coach is supposed to work on a problem in this area if there’s no way to identify it as a problem.

Let me provide a situational description. Patient hitter is now asked to pinch hit with runners on. You don't want the patient hitter to walk in this situation. He makes good contact and has some power.

If this player is starting, and getting 4 AB's per game, he is patient, hits ball in the zone he is looking for, goes deep in the count, takes walks, and sometimes goes an entire AB without swinging (sometimes walks sometimes K's).

But in a one AB situation, you want this kid to take a hack at the first fastball he sees in the zone. His nature and approach is to be patient, but that is not what you want in this situation.

Is the player behind him an automatic out who can't be subbed out? Otherwise I don't see what's wrong with a walk in that situation, though it's not specific enough.

Runners 1st and 2nd, nobody out, early in the game:  a walk is a great outcome.

Runners 2nd and 3rd, 1 out,  late in the game:  yeah, you want the kid to be aggressive and take his hacks.

Stafford posted: Let me provide a situational description. Patient hitter is now asked to pinch hit with runners on. You don't want the patient hitter to walk in this situation. He makes good contact and has some power.

If this player is starting, and getting 4 AB's per game, he is patient, hits ball in the zone he is looking for, goes deep in the count, takes walks, and sometimes goes an entire AB without swinging (sometimes walks sometimes K's).

But in a one AB situation, you want this kid to take a hack at the first fastball he sees in the zone. His nature and approach is to be patient, but that is not what you want in this situation.

Thanx for giving us something to use for context.

I hope I’m reading this correctly. Please allow me to paraphrase. You’re saying he’s “patient” because he sees lots of pitches(pitches per PA), draws more walks than the average player on the team, and doesn’t swing at a high percentage of pitches he sees(number of pitches swung at / number of pitches seen).

So if I could get those metrics for every player on the team using those criteria, I’d be able to rank the hitters from most patient to most aggressive. Does that sound correct?

Aaaaaanyway...  

Stafford, you did say in OP to think HS age.  So, I guess, using JCG's second scenario, I would make an in-game suggestion to look for his pitch early rather than late, making him aware that the P wants to get to the next batter and may work around him.  But, it sounds like this hitter has success due to his patient approach and good pitch selection.  So, i'm not sure how smart it would be to get him too far out of his usual hitting approach.  We do several situational hitting drills and they include R3 or R2, R3 less than two out... attack hitter's pitches early, something a bit up in the zone that you can drive/ get past the infield.  This would apply to your situation as well.

Stats4Gnats posted:

JCG posted: Exactly, and I don't think there was any mention of using metrics in the OP.  Using Stats' FI of a 12yo coach, when I coached at that level we had almost 6 weeks of practice before opening day, followed by just 16 regular season games.  Clearly any coach waiting on statistics before figuring out which hitters needed help with what would be guilty of grievous coaching malfeasance.

What difference does it make whether metrics were mentioned in the op?

It seems to me that your idea of what metrics are is extremely limited. It also seems to me that you believe unless a metric is normalized by a large sample it’s not valid.

If you can identify something by eye it can also be identified by metrics, as long as it can be defined and tracked. Why do you think there’d be “waiting on statistics “?

Whatevs.

cabbagedad posted: geeezuss

Why does it illicit such contempt when someone doesn’t simply take something someone else says at face value without ever questioning it? When someone says batter “A” is aggressive and batter “B” is patient, I want to know what makes that true other than someone says it so I can test it and show our HC.

The attached shows those things I understood Stafford to say show a hitter to be aggressive or patient. What I don’t understand is how % of total pitches swung at, pitches per PA, and PAs per walk get combined to show aggression or passivity. From what I can see there, they don’t seem to show anything together.

Please see attached.

Attachments

Files (1)

Dominik85 posteditches per PA and walks also at the pro level is also very dependent on pitchers fear.

For example miguel cabrera chased more pitches outside the zone than ichiro but he still walked more because pitchers avoided the zone more against him because miggy hits bombs.

I get that. But Stafford didn’t just use PPPA as a metric useful in showing patience or aggression. That’s why I asked PG why he posted that link because it only shows PPPA.

In my mind it take a lot more than any one metric to show much of anything, and the trick isn’t just finding those things. A way has to be found to put them together. PPPA is definitely an “indication” of aggression and/or patience, but with some other metrics to give better context PPPA really doesn’t mean much. You mentioned walks as did Stafford. How would you incorporate walks into the algorithm to show patience/aggression?

Again this is not applicable to the amateur level but at fangraphs there was an article in that showed that swing percentage on pitches inside the zone minus swings percentage on pitches outside the zone is a good indicator of performance.

Basically the old swing at strikes, take balls. That means if you do not chase outside the zone you can be more selective within the zone but if your chase rate is high you better not take pitches inside the zone because that means your differential of o swing and z swing gets too small.

That means hitters without a good pitch recognition are better off swinging more and batters with a good pitch recognition can be better off swinging less.

In coaching practice often the opposite happens, the free swinger is told to work the count and the patient guy is told to swing more.

But again this is not so applicable to levels without pitch fx which is basically any level except pro ball.

Dominik85 posted:

Again this is not applicable to the amateur level but at fangraphs there was an article in that showed that swing percentage on pitches inside the zone minus swings percentage on pitches outside the zone is a good indicator of performance.

Basically the old swing at strikes, take balls. That means if you do not chase outside the zone you can be more selective within the zone but if your chase rate is high you better not take pitches inside the zone because that means your differential of o swing and z swing gets too small.

That means hitters without a good pitch recognition are better off swinging more and batters with a good pitch recognition can be better off swinging less.

In coaching practice often the opposite happens, the free swinger is told to work the count and the patient guy is told to swing more.

But again this is not so applicable to levels without pitch fx which is basically any level except pro ball.

Well Dom, this is a HS forum. What good does it do someone at that level to have that performance indicator if they can’t use it?

Sounds to me like it’s an unsolvable problem. Coaches are telling players to do exactly opposite of what they should do because there’s no valid way to prove they should change.

Maybe it is somewhat applicable. If we know from the pro level that a large difference between zone and out of zone swings is important we could tell a patient hitter to look for certain pitches within the zone to get better pitches to hit. The same applies to very good contact hitters who tend to put too many balls in play.

But if we have a guy with pitch recognition issues you first try to improve pitch recognition but if a limit there is reached don't tell him to sit too much on certain pitches but have more a see the ball hit the ball approach and let lose if he thinks it will be close to the zone. That is because even if he sits on lets say up and in pitches he will chase pitches way up out of the zone and then take hittable pitches in the lower part of the zone.

So to keep the zone swing minus outside swing differential high tell him to look for a pitch over the plate and drive it instead of being too picky.

You prefer him swinging at the pitch an inch off the plate to avoid him taking the pitch down the pipe and then swing at the pitch a foot outside.

But if you have the guy with a good eye you can tell him to take the pitch on the black to wait for a better one because you can be sure that he won't miss his pitch or panick and chase the pitch way outside after falling behind when taking early.

A good example of this was javier baez first pro year. Javier is a free swinger and the cubs are known for preaching working the count and making the pitcher work. That is not a bad approach but for javy it did clearly mess him up because he chased a lot outside but at the same time took a lot of pitches because he was taught to work the count. That works for guys like rizzo or bryant but not So much for him.every hitter is different.

Dominik85 posted:

Maybe it is somewhat applicable. If we know from the pro level that a large difference between zone and out of zone swings is important we could tell a patient hitter to look for certain pitches within the zone to get better pitches to hit. The same applies to very good contact hitters who tend to put too many balls in play.

You’re making the same mistake so many others do. You’re “cure” may or may not work, but who do you try it on? How is a “patient” hitter identified?

Contact hitters? How did they get brought into the discussion? I thought it was about “patient” and “aggressive” hitters. I’m pretty sure there are both patient and aggressive hitters who are very good contact hitters.

But if we have a guy with pitch recognition issues you first try to improve pitch recognition but if a limit there is reached don't tell him to sit too much on certain pitches but have more a see the ball hit the ball approach and let lose if he thinks it will be close to the zone. That is because even if he sits on lets say up and in pitches he will chase pitches way up out of the zone and then take hittable pitches in the lower part of the zone.

So to keep the zone swing minus outside swing differential high tell him to look for a pitch over the plate and drive it instead of being too picky.

You prefer him swinging at the pitch an inch off the plate to avoid him taking the pitch down the pipe and then swing at the pitch a foot outside.

But if you have the guy with a good eye you can tell him to take the pitch on the black to wait for a better one because you can be sure that he won't miss his pitch or panick and chase the pitch way outside after falling behind when taking early.

So how does a HS player on a “normal” HS team who has pitch recognition issues get identified? Remember, at that level there’s no Pitch f/x.

A good example of this was javier baez first pro year. Javier is a free swinger and the cubs are known for preaching working the count and making the pitcher work. That is not a bad approach but for javy it did clearly mess him up because he chased a lot outside but at the same time took a lot of pitches because he was taught to work the count. That works for guys like rizzo or bryant but not So much for him.every hitter is different.

I’m not saying that what you’re saying is incorrect. I’m saying you’re not offering anything for any level below MLB. If we were discussing Hot Stove or fantasy baseball where there was access to all the ML data, what you’re saying may well prove to be valid. But in the world of amateur baseball it doesn’t seem to have a place.

Dominik85 posted:Well you don't need pitch fx to see when a player swings at pitches that bounce or come in above the shoulders. Outside and inside is harder to see but if a player chases pitches that are extremely far off the zone you might be able to see it.

True, pitches at the extremes are fairly easy to see, but those aren’t the only pitches missing the strike zone that are swung at. Then too, if someone isn’t tracking them some way, chances are who did what when and how often will be misinterpreted.

Here’s a couple for instances. #1 Team’s ahead by 6 in the late innings and their batter swings at a pitch above the shoulders and another one in the dirt then gets a double. #2 Team’s down a run in the bottom of the last inning with 2 outs and the bases loaded in a championship game. Their batter works the count to 3-2 then fouls off 5 pitches, and finally swings and misses a great hook that just touches the dirt in front of the C. Unless those things are marked down some way, which kid is gonna be remembered at the next practice?

My point is not that you are wrong in what you say, but rather that there has to be a lot more done. And even if they are marked down and tracked, when does it become a problem? When the player makes 20 of those swings, when 20% of his swings are at pitches like that, or does something else trigger the idea that some coaching is needed because something’s wrong?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.