Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As with most of these questions, the answer is: It depends... If you have been to this college before hopefully you have some idea of their interest. That combined with your son's ability and how projectable he is are things you will use to know when it's time to give up on a school or keep attending. Being well known for good reasons at the number one college of choice is obviously a good idea. I know players for whom it’s a good idea and some for whom it would be a waste. Reality is the key, finding it is the challenge. Other than that... if the weather is good enough and you're available, why wouldn't you get out for some baseball? (somewhat jealous)
Last summer he went to a showcase and made the top 40 upcoming sophmore team. They played the top 40 from Alabama in an additional showcase. He made varsity as a freshman and lettered at shortstop. That was the first and only showcase he has participated in. I guess that is my question... Will he even get consideration or will they see that he is a 2015 and not even give him a look?
Last edited by ngkid
quote:
I guess that is my question... Will he even get consideration or will they see that he is a 2015 and not even give him a look?
If this is a school he is interested in, why not? In addition to the showcase, I suggest you tour the campus to learn more. As you do more and more of these kind of events you learn where to spend your time. From my perspective, you have nothing to lose, and you have to start somewhere. Why not, here? You have to start to get an idea of where you need to be "fishing". You'll quickly learn if this pond is too big or too small. If he demonstrates talent they will find a way to get in touch with you to show further interest.

One thing I would want to know before making the financial committment is to know what coaches will be in attenddence. Will there be many schools or a few? Do they meet some type of academic/athletic profile that you and your son have discussed? If so, go for it and good luck.
Last edited by fenwaysouth
My 2014 did his only college camp (with only the college coaches in attendance) in January last year. I think it is good for the players to see how they stack up against other players that come some distance to attend. Some things I noticed as a parent: not every player came "in baseball shape" in January, nor did everyone come dressed appropriately. Make sure the player wears baseball attire, including a belt.

Although outside in 35-40 degree weather, those that drove 12 hours south thought it was quite warm. Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.