Skip to main content

My son (14U) plays SS and his ol' reliable Easton 12" is going to be retired. A nice glove, yes, but not really a SS glove.

I've heard some good stuff about Kelley's, but haven't been able to really get a hold of one. The fallback is the Wilson A2000 K86 (not a bad fallback!!)

What are your thoughts on the Kelley?
here's a link to their website and the specific glove we're looking at.

http://www.kelleyusa.com/Prod/Gloves/Baseball/ElevationGlove.aspx?itm=ES832

Thanks!
goMO
_________________________ I'm feeling pretty good - we've got it narrowed down to only about 1 colleges now!!!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

my son played short in HS and used a Rawlings Pro 10003T and a Wilson A2000 model 1787. Loved 'em both. I'd also recommend the A2000 models 1786, 1788, 1782, X2TB and my favorite the A2000 model 2087.

The Rawlings was much tougher to break in than the Wilsons but lasted longer. Sorry don't know anything about the Kelley glove.

If you get a Rawlings Heart of the Hide that is not pre-oiled, I say that's the way to go. If you search you can still find a Rawlings HOH made in the USA. Don't get better than that IMO.
Last edited by HeyBatter
My boy has 2 Kelleys. A CS063 catcher mitt and a KS12 fielding glove. The glove in is their cheapest line and he likes it alot. It comes broken in. The mitt is from their Century series and is new this year. I think it is a great mitt and is padded real well for catching compared to the Wilson he has had in the past which keeps having the lacing break. I realize we don't have the top of the line models but we think we have a great product for a young guy (12u). I don't think you need to go top of the line for a young guy to get a real nice glove. JMHO
Last edited by bkekcs
goMo- as far as the Rawlings HOH I know there is a "code" to their models. Some I can decipher others noidea. But I don't think the model number clues as to whether the glove is made in the US or not.

For example they have a PROTB24 and a PROTB24RH. If I've cracked their code correctly these model numbers indicate a PRO model, the T stands for the web (trapeze) the B is for the color (black) and 24 is the model. The RH is for "right hand", so that one is for a left hand thrower.

On the glove itself and on the Rawlings label it will say Made in USA if applicable. Not sure if any Rawlings HOH are made in the US anymore. I had found one-last year's model- at Ballgloves.com.

I think most importantly is to get a Rawlings that is NOT pre-oiled. The pre-oiled ones have a mark saying that in the pocket, usually on the thumb.

Hope this helps you.
My Son has the Kelley Prol-Line mk-452 MI glove and dn-060 catchers mitt. They are the best bang for the buck you will find. Once broken in (takes 1-2 months of constant work) there are no better gloves. (Bought the Catcher's Mitt on Ebay for $50 and the MI direct from Kelley for $109 w/free ship at the time.

Everyone who has put them on - falls in love with them.

Highest Recomendation
quote:
Originally posted by goMO:
My son (14U) plays SS and his ol' reliable Easton 12" is going to be retired. A nice glove, yes, but not really a SS glove.

I've heard some good stuff about Kelley's, but haven't been able to really get a hold of one. The fallback is the Wilson A2000 K86 (not a bad fallback!!)

Thanks!
goMO
Kelley gloves are great for the price, But with any quality glove it takes time to break in. if you buy an a2000 or mizuno there saturated with oil to feel soft but won't last long for a player who plays a lot of games.the 832 is sweet my son has one and we broke it in in less then 2 weeks.
quote:

Thanks!
goMO
hoh are no longer made in america. made in taiwan also over priced and stiff as a board you pay for a major league name on the palm. rawlings gloves are expensive because they have to pay endorsements which raises the price.
quote:
Originally posted by HeyBatter:
goMo- as far as the Rawlings HOH I know there is a "code" to their models. Some I can decipher others noidea. But I don't think the model number clues as to whether the glove is made in the US or not.

For example they have a PROTB24 and a PROTB24RH. If I've cracked their code correctly these model numbers indicate a PRO model, the T stands for the web (trapeze) the B is for the color (black) and 24 is the model. The RH is for "right hand", so that one is for a left hand thrower.

On the glove itself and on the Rawlings label it will say Made in USA if applicable. Not sure if any Rawlings HOH are made in the US anymore. I had found one-last year's model- at Ballgloves.com.

I think most importantly is to get a Rawlings that is NOT pre-oiled. The pre-oiled ones have a mark saying that in the pocket, usually on the thumb.

Hope this helps you.
I have to agree with you that a good quality glove takes time to break in. I'm not sure how everyone else feel, but it seems that most gloves in stores are readily break-in. I'm talking about the professional gloves from Wilson and Rawlings. I guess players demand it that way nowadays. But remember, the easier a glove break-in, the easier a glove break-down as well.

I just happened to stumble on a press release for a baseball company that I have never heard about before in my life on google news and decided to check it out (http://www.safglove.com). They seem to offer a very unique blend of colors and certainly got me very interested for me to purchase one. Now, I have never bought gloves without trying it on in my life. Heck, I bought it because I know for the fact that I cannot find similar glove in any stores and there is a 100% money back guaranteed offer.

To my amazement, their glove is AMAZINGLY comfortable, very stylish and the quality is up to par with the pro gloves that I find in Chick's or Sport Chalet. It is certainly well padded and it is not pre-oiled. I think the price is surprisingly low, considering that other companies would have charged custom glove pricing for the same glove.

YMe - "Never Take For Granted The Short Life That You Are Having"

-------------------------------------------------
quote:
Originally posted by bigfig:
Kelley gloves are great for the price, But with any quality glove it takes time to break in. if you buy an a2000 or mizuno there saturated with oil to feel soft but won't last long for a player who plays a lot of games.the 832 is sweet my son has one and we broke it in in less then 2 weeks.
quote:

Thanks!
goMO
PIAA_UMP
quote:
Originally posted by piaa_ump:
Kelly gloves are very good gloves, but I do not see many being used above HS. The college players overwhelmingly use Rawlings, Wilson, Mizuno and some eastons and a smattering of other brands.......Easton, Louisville, ssk

I am not sure I'd be concerned about not seeing many Kelly gloves being used in college. Kids see alot of Rawlings, Wilson, Mizuno, Easton, Louisville, SSK gloves in college because the big glove companies are aggresive in marketing to the College players. i.e. my son's college team is sponsered by Easton so he gets an Easton glove each year, but he can also get a super deal on a Rawlings glove.

Kelly probebley doesn't have the financial ability to go after the college market like Easton and Rawlings etc. We purchased one of the Kelly catcher's glove and the quality appeared to be as good as any of the equivlently priced Wilson's, Rawlings and Easton's. So I think your choice comes down to how the glove feels on your hand.

For what its worth, as middle infielders glove go, my son said that most of his college and summer ball teamates used a Rawlings.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by piaa_ump:
Kelly gloves are very good gloves, but I do not see many being used above HS. The college players overwhelmingly use Rawlings, Wilson, Mizuno and some eastons and a smattering of other brands.......Easton, Louisville, ssk

I am not sure I'd be concerned about not seeing many Kelly gloves being used in college. Kids see alot of Rawlings, Wilson, Mizuno, Easton, Louisville, SSK gloves in college because the big glove companies are aggresive in marketing to the College players. i.e. my son's college team is sponsered by Easton so he gets an Easton glove each year, but he can also get a super deal on a Rawlings glove.

Kelly probebley doesn't have the financial ability to go after the college market like Easton and Rawlings etc. We purchased one of the Kelly catcher's glove and the quality appeared to be as good as any of the equivlently priced Wilson's, Rawlings and Easton's. So I think your choice comes down to how the glove feels on your hand.

For what its worth, as middle infielders glove go, my son said that most of his college and summer ball teamates used a Rawlings.

Kelley doesn't spend money to sponsor college programs. They also don't spend money paying MLB players to wear their product. Therefore, they have a miniscule marketing budget compared to the onslaught of advertising/marketing that is purchased by Rawlings, Wilson et al.
The end result is a top quality product that is sold at a price point much closer to the cost of manufacture than other brands.
My 15 YO is on his second Kelley glove. He has an SE-175 for 3B/Pitching and an ES 832 for MI play. They are great gloves and hold up very well.
quote:
Anyway, It's not the Glove> But the Hand that's in it that make's the Play.

I beg to differ... The personal story.
HaverSon was (in college) primarily a first baseman, a position he moved to his senior year in HS, and while he has limited range, he has very fast hands.

Before his senior year in H.S. we bought a Wilson A2800, which served very well, and well enough that he was errorless during his soph year at college, starting every game.

Unfortunately, the A2800 was worn out, and it's replacement, some Rawlings (I forget the model) never really broke in with enough depth/width at the bottom of the pocket. It was jut a tiny bit narrow and shallow.

The result was, that occasionally he couldn't hold on to balls in the dirt that would bounce a bit high and hit near the heel.

He was still a good fielder of short hops, but no longer absolutely automatic. In, his junior year, he made two errors in 37 games, but both were the kind decribed, and both were those kind of scoops he'd always made.

That summer (2005) he played another 37 games in the ACBL and made 3/4 errors, and all the same type scoops, low in the pocket that didn't stick.
NOTE: He never pointed blame at the glove, but it was clear to me.

Although I wasn't keen to buy a new glove for his senior seaon, I couldn't take it. A new A2800 was ordered. Early in the season, before the new glove was fully broken, two scoops didn't stick, but then he ran off 25+ errorless games, again making exceptional scoops seem routine.

Maybe it was confidence, but for my money it was the glove.

and money well spent.
Last edited by HaverDad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.