Skip to main content

If no one has come across this video, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

As a college student I am privy to a lot of the "mainstream" news that is thrown around through my demographic. The majority of "news" that I see thrown around is nonsense (aka: shows like Jersey Shore, etc.).

I have never in my entire life witnessed the amount of attention this video has gotten from people my age. I heard a rumor it has already set the record for "Likes" on YouTube in a 24 hour span and has 5 worldwide "trends" on Twitter right now. I'm logged onto my Facebook page and there are currently 54 people that I am "friends" with that shared this link, at nearly 1 AM here in New York.

I know all of this social media attention hasn't caught onto being "mainstream" throughout much of the world, but this is exactly what the maker of this video intended to happen.

Thoughts?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Josh, thank you so much for sharing this. I am ashamed to say I didn't know who Joseph Kony was, though of course I had heard of some of his deeds (in mostly abstact ways that didn't resonate the way this video does). I have shared the video on FB, and will sign the pledge and get the kit.

Again, I really appreciate that you brought this to our attention - a great reminder of the incredibly large problems we face in the world today, and of our collective power to demand justice and a stop to evil like this.
When 2013 posted this to his FB wall last night and personally asked me to watch a 27 minute video I must admit that I assumed he had been duped. I couldn't believe what I was watching and I Googled some of the information just to confirm.

Imagine my horror when it was all accurate. I have also shared it on FB and I'm so pleased that it's here, as well.

Thank you for sharing. We all should.
My daughter texted me the link on Tuesday afternoon. I didn't plan on watching it after realizing it was 30 minutes long, but I'm glad I did. It's amazing how quickly some videos can go viral on youtube, some for the wrong reasons. I hope everyone watches Kony 2012, it's worth your time...hopefully we can all make a difference.
Everyone, take a deep breath and relax.

This video is not quite true and was produced by a dubious organization for dubious reasons.

Kony hasn't been a player in Uganda for years--he would not be the one to target if you want stabilization for the region. If you want to get him for accountability, fine, but he's no longer there and it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that he will be found.

It's funny that J H laments what he sees directed at his/our generation, but this video is popular only because a "charitable" organization created this to gain money, then had it pushed by clueless celebrities.
Last edited by Matt13
This video was well done and it's purpose served, to raise money, and to force the Obama administration not to stop looking for him. it's correct he hasn't been there in years, the current regime (been there forever) hasn't helped the people either.

Better idea keep your dollars here in the US, give to the American Red Cross to help the tornado victims.

JMO.
Would just like to reiterate what has been said -- this video is a product of a very "dubious" organization, to say the least. Everything seems very real and there are shreds of truth but IC takes advantage of the fact that its viewers have zero to little pre-existing knowledge of the subjects at hand. I'll admit that I do not know a lot about these particular subjects, but very respected individuals DO NOT trust this organization.

I see my classmates hustling to mobilize and make a difference, but honestly I'd rather see the energy go into them taking care of our college's home in Memphis. Memphis has a third-world hunger rate but there aren't youtube videos about that.

I'd love to be able to help struggling regions and groups abroad, but I'd like to see some strategies outside of asking for American money and/or soldiers. Obviously it's wise and morally right to help when we can, but there has to be a balance and a limit to the extent we can go as a government to help foreign nations in need.
I agree with pretty much everything stated above. I wrote the OP to elicit some responses, and those received here are outstanding thus far. Thank you.

In my opinion, the response from the video is more meaningful than the actual video itself. The message the organization is attempting to get across is nothing new- there are atrocities all around the world and innocent people being put into inhumane circumstances everyday. Invisible Children is simply attempting to reach out to the unknowing- and have done just that.

The intent, however, should not be blindly received. As noted here and by many other media accounts, Invisible Children is an organization that in and of itself has some questionable traits, which has raised concern about the true authenticity of the movement. That, combined with the obvious knowledge that has quickly surfaced about both Kony's current predicament and the involvement of the Ugandan dictatorship has dwindled whatever purity may have been initially seen in the quickly viral video.

To me, the producing of this video is a monumental act for my generation because it exemplifies the notion that we, as a group of people, can band together for a cause- good or not- in so many easily accessible ways. Often times the videos you hear being discussed that are going viral are videos that have little to no relevance to the worldwide landscape. It is this action that I believe gives off the impression that my generation's priorities are out of whack- which I am inclined to agree with on a generalized stage. But the response from the Kony 2012 video is something that is important and has touched the hearts of millions in a few short days. It is something that can be very influential and I think could be the first of many shifting trends in the way people around the world- politicians, human rights activists, celebrities- communicate their intentions with the general public.

The fact that the information about Kony and Uganda is being followed up on is also something that I feel as though people are doing a very good job with. Rather than excepting the information for what it is, people understand that there are two sides to every story. Critical thinking is a trait that is crucial in dissecting material and coming to a sophisticated conclusion, and the backlash is an example of people doing just that.

I for one am appreciative of the video's presence. It raises awareness to people about happenings around the globe that aren't portrayed anywhere in their daily lives. Good or bad, Invisible Children has afforded us the opportunity to have this discussion and come to a conclusion ourselves about what we wish to do about a certain situation. The location notwithstanding, human morals reign supreme- if someone is in need, something should be done.

quote:
Originally posted by TPM:

Better idea keep your dollars here in the US, give to the American Red Cross to help the tornado victims.

When the tornado devastated Joplin, MO last summer, my 16-year-old sister organized a book drive in our hometown to send to the Joplin schools, who were desperately in need. She collected several hundred books, and estimated that the shipping cost would be in the neighborhood of $1,000. The American Red Cross was the first organization she reached out to for assistance in her gesture, and the response she got was to explain that their efforts were currently in Somalia and they would not pay for her to ship the books to Joplin to help her fellow American classmates attend school with enough reading materials. She was stunned at that response and ended up finding a local charity that donated her the funding to ship the collection to upstate New York, which had been devastated by floods a few months after the tornado. The organization had a chapter in Binghamton, and therefore was able to form a correlation with school districts in that area. Joplin never got the books.

Every charitable organization has their flaws.
JH,
There is so much bureaucracy within charities it's disgusting, I probably should have referred to another, I used ARC for a reason. We should at this time keep it at home. It's so hard to believe that there are children in our country who go to sleep at night hungry.
Not to get into the story of Kony, this is just another atrocity of the world, I do agree that the the technology of today and programs for social networking (facebook, youtube, twitter) have helped to change history (for the better). Awareness is the key.

I understood your purpose for the OP.

BTW, they called my generation spoiled, self centered and apathetic, but we marched on college campuses to try to end a senseless war in the 70's. While we didn't have the technology there is today to unite, we stood united. The tragedy of Kent State was a shameful act when I was your age.
Regardless we all are so lucky to be living in a place where we CAN discuss without repercussions.
quote:
Originally posted by TheUnDiscovered:
This is nothing compared to the Bolshevik Revolution(financed by the Rothchilds, Warburgs, and Roosevelts) or Israel's genocide of the Palestinian people.

If the people of Sudan truly want change they need to rise up, just as the colonist did a little over 200 years ago.

Many are blind to what is coming to America. But it is coming and coming soon...

Can we ban this anti-Semite?
quote:
Originally posted by Matt13:
quote:
This is nothing compared to the Bolshevik Revolution(financed by the Rothchilds, Warburgs, and Roosevelts) or Israel's genocide of the Palestinian people.

If the people of Sudan truly want change they need to rise up, just as the colonist did a little over 200 years ago.

Many are blind to what is coming to America. But it is coming and coming soon...

I am no anti-Semite... I do want people to be responsible for what they have done. I think that is fair and the right thing to do.

Why are you so quick to censor me? Last time I checked, free speech was a first amendment right.

Smile
Last edited by TheUnDiscovered
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am no anti-Semite... I do want people to be responsible for what they have done. I think that is fair and the right thing to do.

Why are you so quick to censor me? Last time I checked, free speech was a first amendment right.

Smile

Why have you not mentioned the worst of all, the Holocaust? What do you think about those that say it never happended.

The video was good, 40 million people know more today than yesterday about what's going on, that was the point of the OP.

I agree with Matt on a few things stated, the first amendment has nothing to do with ignoring board rules. Please review.

The above alert that you raised really has no place in this discussion.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Smile

You have no rights on a message board. It's a privilege to participate, not a right.

And, there is no genocide in Israel. If Hamas continues to launch rockets from Gaza, then people are going to be killed. It's a simple as that. Jews didn't fund the Bolshevik Revolution either. Did you know that the Communists had no religious affiliation, or did you conveniently forget that?

And, I also call for your banning.
Last edited by Low Finish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2rMnov4Ae8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8gJSMoOJc

The joke is on you. The U.S. dollar has been devalued 95% since 1913. The Federal Reserve is a privately owned bank with its own agenda. Those who operate it are criminally insane and ruthless. They are destroying the hardworking middle class man and his family...

Hope many of you are keeping an eye on the orchestrated Syria/Iran situation...
Last edited by TheUnDiscovered
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
Low,
I agree that posting is a privilege, not a right.

What I don't agree with is letting ignorant people get the best of you. These type of people love luring others into a discussion so they can preach what they feel is right.

Stay loose and ignore.

Thank you TPM. I have hit the ignore button.

Arguing with ignorance is pointless.
I was curious about this one so I bit on it.
27 wasted minutes of my life.

I came away from this with a few impressions.

The author's compassion for others is admirable.
Evolving technology continues to provide opportunities to advance the human condition.
Bad things happen in the world - all of the time. And always have.
All very obvious.

What strikes me as odd is that there isn't a single mention of the pain and suffering occurring in our own country.
Certainly we don't have the level of physical violence and terror that Uganda has been experiencing (for what seems like forever). But there is no lack of suffering in the USA - that is for sure.

It is arguable that there isn't much of a difference between losing your head - literally - and losing everything you have worked for. Or starving. Or living in a cardboard box.

The author mentions that all too often - we dont act.

Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of US soldiers killed in action. Or wounded. Tell that to their parents or brothers or sisters. Tell that to all of the US citizens that have fought to protect others.

The beauty of America still shines through - the author can go to Uganda and try to help. Good for him.

I prefer to try to help here in the USA. I don't believe that our countryman's problems should be forgotten either.

To me - there isn't much difference between Joseph Kony and our corrupt and incompetent Congressional leaders. Just varying levels of violence,immorality and the inevitable suffering that follows.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.