Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A more interesting question is how many MLB scouts and College coaches subscribe to Prospect Plus.

Keep in mind alot of top players are not listed by prospect plus that should be. Those players just have not been to any major showcases or tournaments yet. ESP anything run by Perfect Game.

College and MLB scouts care about 60 YD times,batspeed, release times and MPH's of the players not they are ranked such and such numbers by some list by any showcase.

College and MLB scouts do care about the scouting report written about the players
I would also like to add to this, that before the draft and college early signing period, the rankings will change a whole bunch. So if your in the top 300 now, you may not be in 6 months or a year....also, i would like to say what every scout told me, "Baseball America doesnt have a draft pick." Also, watch out for my brother on the rise....who is currently un-ranked in the top 300 while he is 6'6" 215lbs and throwing smoke Wink
Last edited by AHSpitcher17
Drivel

We could not be prouder of the kids---look at the scores and who we played--- the key is to play good solid baseball and get exposure and the kids got plenty of that---this is evidenced by the emails and calls since the event not to mention the coaches who talked with out staff during the event.

I will ask the "Fool on the Hill " one more time--is not Prospect Plus a subscription service ?
Smallball,

I don’t know who you are so it’s hard to answer your question. Please feel free to email me – pgjerry@qwest.net

Dibble you posted:

quote:
A more interesting question is how many MLB scouts and College coaches subscribe to Prospect Plus.

Keep in mind alot of top players are not listed by prospect plus that should be. Those players just have not been to any major showcases or tournaments yet. ESP anything run by Perfect Game.

College and MLB scouts care about 60 YD times,batspeed, release times and MPH's of the players not they are ranked such and such numbers by some list by any showcase.

College and MLB scouts do care about the scouting report written about the players

Dibble,

Some of what you say is true especially about some players not being listed yet, but to answer your question.

Last I checked 28 of the 30 MLB Scouting Directors subscribe to Prospects Plus. This means most all full time scouts have access to the list. Why would they ignore them and take a chance on missing someone on the list?

Over 20 of the 30 scouting directors are on our Perfect Game Scouting Committee. Most of the Major Colleges also subscribe and we get calls from some of the biggest colleges, even in your neck of the woods, asking for lists of top prospects.

We weren’t born yesterday… Are you saying the lists don’t take tools into account? Also, the lists aren’t based on any showcase. We are a scouting service that does showcases. We scout much more than our own events. How else can we find the best players to invite to the highest level events?

Several of the top ranked 07s attended their first PG event last week. Others highly ranked players have not attended one yet, but they probably will. I’m sure we will see many more outstanding players over the next year and they will be ranked accordingly. Those that are ranked now are very good and deserving, it doesn’t mean we have found them all yet.

Rankings are in fact based on scouting reports, we don’t just pull names out of a hat. As any high ranked player can attest… it creates major interest. It does not guarantee anything!

If I can be so bold… We have a much larger scouting staff than any professional or college team. MLB clubs and college programs know this. We have more scouts in Jupiter alone than any entire MLB scouting department and we were running events on the west coast at the same time. All our scouts have professional and/or college experience… Wouldn’t it be kind of stupid to completely ignore the lists? I don’t like doing the lists, but they are followed very closely.

Dibble, If you are a subscriber, then you must know that before the time the draft comes, most all the high picks are listed each and every year. We have a whole year and a half to find more 07s. In fact, we found some new top 100 guys in Jupiter last week. We appreciate yours or anyone elses input or tips on deserving prospects.

Anyway, starting this year all is meaningless because now scouts and recruiters will be able to watch all PG events, and some others, in there entirety on baseballwebtv. They will be able to look at the lists and then watch the ranked player in most cases.
one poster talks about some pitchers from georgia not being on the list.p.g.usually does a great job.but like anything,they miss some
[p.g.-valido,rodriguez,powers-comprende p.g.]
well,you missed one again.steven brooks should
definitly be in the top 100,maybe even the top
50.a 6.43 60.hits,fields and throws and plays with a passion.this kid belongs.
j.bags,

Are you speaking of Robert Valido? I don't think anyone was higher on him than us. He spent a long time in the top 50. (what is the "comprende" all about?) Not sure which Powers and Rodriquez your speaking of, but if it's two 06s, they are both ranked and both are very good. If it's who I think, both were invited to the PG AFLAC Showcase and I could be wrong but think both were at the PG National.

The 07s will clear up as time goes on. When the smoke settles is when we see if they have been missed or not. Brooks did look good in Jupiter and he does have tools. You're probably right about him! He's very talented.

We do this all the time and once you get past a certain number of players it's a pretty tough comparison. Sometimes #400 is as good as #100 when all is said and done. It's much easier to just look at one or two players you know and say he is better than hundreds of players you've never seen.

We sure don't claim to be perfect. And we don't always get to see the same tools in a player that others bring up. We do see more players than anyone else though. I love it when a player proves us wrong!
please let me explain,
robert v.& sean r. played in jupiter as jr's.,
they were not on the initial top jr's.list,after
a discussion and relating that they were overlooked,you rectified the situation and put them on the list[it's still up there in your archives with the change that was made and it say's that].powers is an 06 and was not initially invited to the p.g.national but that was changed.[he will be next years shortstop at miss.state probably due to his performance at
the national.i due however,question your rating
of brooks and his performance at jupiter.i saw him throw at 2 kids at home in one game and
throwing assists at another.he consistantly hit
and made excellent plays in the field.he stole bases at will[he has run as good as a 6.43]if you question brook's ability,and thats what
your evaluaters saw,we are really on a different page.thats amazing since we know each other pretty well and i think you guy's are usually on the money and do a great job.this kid
will prove to you that i am right,one of the best o.f.'s in the country.
it's only my opinion but on this kid i'm right.
He is a very good shortstop who can really hit. We actually think his eventual position, sooner or later, will be 3B. To us he profiles great at that position for pro ball.

Please don't read anything into the above comment. We really like this player a lot and he can play shortstop at the highest level.

Another highly regarded shortstop prospect, Jet Butler, has signed early with Mississippi State.

Did Powers sign early with Mississippi State?
jbags...I have a fondness for Mississippi State baseball.

Are you talking about Connor Powers of Benet Academy in Lisle, Illinois?

If you are, you are mistaken. He's a 3rd baseman and has no chance of playing shortstop anywhere except for a local softball team when he's in his 40's or 50's.

I've seen him play a couple of times. The kid is big and strong but he's not a ss.

As in..."no chance".
Beenthere,

Ryan Powers - SS - Beacon, NY
Very very good!

I see on our own site we have him listed as committing to Mississippi State. For some reason I thought he was headed to North Carolina.

He had a lot of choices, that's for sure! Mississippi State got a good one! As is Jet Butler!

Beenthere, I always respect your opinion, but don't think you should be so hard on the other kid you mentioned. I hear he can really hit.
Both Ryan Powers and Jet Butler are heading to Miss State and will compete for the SS position with who ever is there.
Ryan was not listed in the BA top 400 of 06' last year and then had a great showing at the PG National as well as 4 good years with the World Yacht Clippers. His HS play had nothing "0" with him going to Miss State. It helped make him a better player for the Clippers.
This year both Ryan and Jet are listed in the top 300 of 06'.
Last edited by Coach Merc

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.