Skip to main content

Thanks to the players and coaches who have participated in the program during the last eleven years, the Mid-Atlantic Red Sox team has established itself as one of the elite showcase teams on the East Coast. The program takes great pride in providing opportunities, and assisting young men in fulfilling their academic and athletic goals of becoming student-athletes on the collegiate level. All 265 former Mid-Atlantic Red Sox players have continued their careers playing collegiate or professional baseball.

To build on the tremendous success of past Mid-Atlantic Red Sox teams, give more opportunity for exposure, and to establish the Red Sox as an elite showcase program on the national level it was clear that the Red Sox needed to add opportunities in the summer as well as in the fall. With this in mind, the Mid-Atlantic Red Sox are excited to announce the merger with the Mid-Atlantic Mets. The Mets summer showcase organization will be adopted by the Red Sox and now go under one name – The Mid-Atlantic Red Sox.

Allen Haines will continue to serve as General Manager and will oversee both summer and fall teams. The fall showcase team will be managed by Eric Haines, while the summer team will be run by Dan Gitzen. Plans are being made to add an underclassmen fall showcase team and teams that will compete in the World Wood Bat Championships in Florida. Be looking for more information as those plans get finalized.

The Red Sox will begin the recruiting process in January at the Southern MD Baseball Camp (somdbaseball.com) and will host 2 tryouts in February for placement on the summer Red Sox program. Placement on the summer Red Sox program guarantees a spot for you on the fall team.

For information on try-outs please feel free to email the Red Sox at, midmarylandbaseball@hotmail.com or dgitzen@midatlanticredsox.net.

Thank you,

Mid-Atlantic Red Sox
www.midatlanticredsox.net
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wow- another team pops up! Sounds like it is getting crowded out there to me. I heard some college coaches this fall saying they are starting to get a little suspect with the quaility of players in these showcase programs since there are so many teams- kind of watering things down?
Not saying the Red Sox do not include good players - just sayin

What does anyone else think?
stilllearning - The Redsox are not a new team. They have been around for quite sometime. They only ran a fall team in the past though. The Mets have been a quality showcase team now for the past couple of summers, and this is just a joining of the two squads. I for one, as an opposing manager, fully believe that the Redsox will put a top quality team out there year in and year out.
I've seen the MA Red Sox play. They are a very well run organization, certainly not a pop up program...

Personally, I don't think there is enough teams.

There are a number of teams that are no longer around. Teams like the Barnstormers and Tugwell's Cardinals. Not sure if John Jenkins Blue Ridge baseball or the Faris Braves still field teams? But these teams helped a lot of players. I'm sure there are a lot more teams that have come and gone...

The Richmond Braves are a mainstay and seem to focus on Virginia natives. The Canes have been very successful when combining VA and NC players, but they also appear to be looking nationally to secure the best talent....

So who is filling the void?

It does seem that more and more younger 16U teams play up at the 17/18u age divisions and maybe that's why there is the appearance of watered down teams. Some might be capable, others are not...
Last edited by Flying Dutchman
I'm all for anything that helps the kids......in the end that is all that matters.

But it's no different than AAU Baseball was back 10 years ago....then came, USSSA, CABA.....and all these other organizations.

I believe this is now a "Business" more than for the kids. I know that some organizations are legit and there are numerous of them. But I also know that money talks and if money wasn't involved, then, neither would some of these organizations.
Leaves an interesting question.

Of these options that are out there - what are the approximate costs from what we all know here? And by that I'm wondering what the team charges and what one can expect as far as travel expenses? Do teams cover some or all of it?

I saw a thread on this site but in another forum that discussed some team fees but they were from Texas and California.

Dulles Mustangs offered their fees as $1200 for the team but they cover no travel. Is that about the expected rates and policies?
Last edited by JMO
I would say what they are charging is about average among the teams-Although I would say Hurricanes would charge more as they have a pretty elaborate uniform ensamble.
For most teams the cost would include very basic uniform and tournament fees. Travel expenses would be handled by individual players=friday night and saturday night at a hotel plus meals-gas or airfare. If you are a pitcher primarily you may come in for only one day during the weekend.
Coaches typically are paid and get their travel expenses handled. Tournament fees for a team can range from $500-$1,000.
When you do the math I doubt anyone is getting rich or even making a living- most are involved because they love the game and/or have a kid involved
Someone with each organization has to spending alot of time on this stuff - people make comments that teams are a "money making scheme"- I think people deserve to get paid for their time
I think every team/organization is different. They have different sponsorships, different ideas in which they think things should be done, different tournaments etc.

My only advice when it comes to the dues on each team, is learn about the team and the offerings and see if it's a good fit for you. You may learn that one organization is more expensive or cheaper than another, but it is a much better fit for you or your family.
In addition to the player fees, I've heard of teams requiring each player to provide the names and addresses of 20 or so families.

Then the organization sends a letter, to each of the 20 names, explaining the team functions and purpose to include a request for donations, contributions or whatever you want to call it.....

To me, it's the travel costs that seem to eat you up.....
Last edited by Flying Dutchman

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.