Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by j2h6:
yes, it's very different in that they've listed the top 500 draft picks w/ scouting reports that include both high school kids and college kids combined.

It's a decent list but not every player is on it. Only players that have done a PG event. There are some good players that have not participated in PG events. Some of the players are also ranked higher then they should be.
Last edited by scout10
quote:
It's a decent list but not every player is on it. Only players that have done a PG event. There are some good players that have not participated in PG events. Some of the players are also ranked higher then they should be.

scout10,

For what seems like the millionth time, what you have said above is all HOG WASH! Nothing could be farther from the TRUTH! We do not rank players based on anything other than our opinion of their ability. It's been that way forever and there are some who post here who know that for a fact!

Furthermore, Please tell us who EVERY player who should be listed is! Does anyone or any organization know that?

The problem I have with people who don't know any better saying things like what you have posted is this... It is a direct attack on our integrity!

I'm sure in the end we will have players ranked higher and lower than what they should be. If you ask any MLB Scouting Dep[artment to give you a list, you can count on that same list changing over the next several months. I guess we need to see your list, so we can see who we have ranked higher than they should be.

BTW... the new updated 08 list comes out in pgcrosschecker this week. I guarantee and promise on a stack of bibles that there are players listed who have not been to a Perfect Game event. That said, please look at the last several years and number of those draft picks who have been to PG events and you'll understand why so many are on the list each year. It's because they belong on the list. We don't take the Uptons of the world off the list just because they attended a PG event.
Last edited by PGStaff
Scout10,

I’m sure you meant no harm and thought what you were saying was true.

Sorry, I just get tired of hearing similar things over and over and get touchy about that subject. And you are correct when you said we don’t have them all listed. I just want to make it clear that it is not “mandatory” for a top player to attend a PG event in order to be ranked. At the same time, it does seem like most of them do.

I apologize for sounding like an idiot!
Baseball America Prospect Plus, PG Cross Checker, MLSM and 30 MLB teams all have lists of prospects to follow.Alot have the same names, but the best way to tell how well the mlb scouts think of a prospect is how many mlb scouts been in contact so far,request psych tests, signability forms and schedules.

Keep in mind alot of projected high drafts picks fall flat on their face in the spring and some 2008 1st rounders come out of no where.

As far as PG, they do so many HS Showcases and tournaments, pretty much most players have attended at least one of their events.

And yes some clueless parents think you have to attend one of the PG events to be ranked. PG , Team One and other groups send personal to area code games, east coast pro showcase and others events run by other people to indentify future prospects and keep updates on prospects that attend their events.

You have to have talent to be on anyone follow lists.
Last edited by Frank Martin
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martin:
Baseball America Prospect Plus, PG Cross Checker, MLSM and 30 MLB teams all have lists of prospects to follow.Alot have the same names, but the best way to tell how well the mlb scouts think of a prospect is how many mlb scouts been in contact so far,request psych tests, signability forms and schedules.

Keep in mind alot of projected high drafts picks fall flat on their face in the spring and some 2008 1st rounders come out of no where.

As far as PG, they do so many HS Showcases and tournaments, pretty much most players have attended at least one of their events.

And yes some clueless parents think you have to attend one of the PG events to be ranked. PG , Team One and other groups send personal to area code games, east coast pro showcase and others events run by other people to indentify future prospects and keep updates on prospects that attend their events.

You have to have talent to be on anyone follow lists.
I suppose Frank has answered my question(s) about whether or not my son is even ON a MLB list or not. We've had a couple of calls/letters directly from MLB scouts to attend something upcoming but that's about it. But I too have wondered since My son hasn't attended a PG showcase and has only played in numerous PG tourney's over the past couple years if he has gained any MLB interest.

Right now we are still floating on air with his recent signing and the opportunities that await him at the collegiate level. I suppose then he will garner interest if he is worthy.

As they say, time will tell.
Scout

First of all I do not work for PG nor am I affiliated with them so what I say is from me and me alone. It appears you are relatively new to the site but you can ask those that know me I do not pull punches when I speak.

BUT

You are way off base---in fact they heavily scout other high profile talent events such as East Coast and Area Codes---when you say you have to attend one of their events to be listed---totally untrue and without basis
Last edited by TRhit
OK before this goes any further if you check any of my previous posts you will see that I am pro PG. Everyone is reading into this. PG is great but if a player has never gone to a perfect game tournament or if he has not been seen by a perfect game scout then he won't be on the list. Believe it or not there are players that have not gone to a perfect game event. If a player has been to a perfect game tournament then his chances are better at being rated. But there are some players that can slip through. Now lets move on.
quote:
OK before this goes any further if you check any of my previous posts you will see that I am pro PG. Everyone is reading into this. PG is great but if a player has never gone to a perfect game tournament or if he has not been seen by a perfect game scout then he won't be on the list. Believe it or not there are players that have not gone to a perfect game event. If a player has been to a perfect game tournament then his chances are better at being rated. But there are some players that can slip through. Now lets move on.

Scout10,

I often do check prior posts whenever something like this pops up. I did see where you have said some very nice things about PG. Thank you very much.

That said, much of what you write is exactly true. However we do rank players, sometimes very high, that have never attended a PG showcase or WWBA/BCS tournament. While it is true that someone in our organization has to see a player we rank, it does not have o be at a PG event. We even have people attend high school games to check out players we’ve been notified of. Not to sound brash, but we have the largest scouting department in baseball. Much larger (I didn't neccessarily say better) than any Major League club or the ML Scouting Bureau. We take a lot of pride in our scouting service and it does rely a lot on our events, just like those scouting departments mentioned above and college programs rely on PG events, but not totally dependent on any one thing.

I've had people I trust say leave this stuff alone, let people believe that, because it would actually be better for our business (revenue wise) if everyone did believe they “have” to attend a PG event. But that just wouldn’t be the truth.

There are guys like Josh Beckett who we had ranked #1 in his class that never attended a PG event. Colt Griffin, Preston Mattingly, Travis Snyder, Matt Dominguez, Rocco Baldelli, and some others who were drafted early never attended a PG event, yet were ranked very high by us. In fact, Baldelli is a kid that the scouting director who drafted him has gone on record as claiming PG was the main reason they picked Rocco so early. Not based just on the ranking but because of the large file of information we had gathered on him.

Again, most everything you are saying is very true, but you are mistaken about that one point of the only players ranked are those that have been to a PG event. I usually hear this kind of stuff from those considered the enemy or other naysayers. I fully understand that you are not the enemy nor a naysayer. So there’s no problem what-so-ever, just please believe what I’ve said. I can actually prove it and can’t afford to lie. Thanks
Last edited by PGStaff
Just to be entirely honest, we quit scouting Team One events a couple years ago. Before that we were present at some of them and even promoted their events.

Jeff Spielman who started and owned Team One up until the past couple years did a great job for a long time. Bob Williams who started and used to run the Area Codes really was the "Godfather" of big scouting events and then came Jeff and Team One. Jeff also had some outstanding people who worked for him and so did Bob, of course.

We still cover the Area Codes and many other top events very closely.
Last edited by PGStaff
PG,
I'm glad you mentioned Jeff and Bob.
2 of the nicest Baseball people around.
My son has Played in Teamone, and PG event's.
And was able to go to Australia and Japan with Bob and the Goodwill Series.

What Bob has started and Jeff and yourselve have continued is invaluable to the recruitment of players for both College and Pro ball.
Keep up the good work.
EH
Updated draft order:

First-Round Picks
1. Devil Rays
2. Pirates
3. Royals
4. Orioles
5. Giants
6. Marlins
7. Reds
8. White Sox
9. Nationals
10. Astros
11. Rangers
12. Athletics
13. Cardinals
14. Twins
15. Dodgers
16. Brewers
17. Blue Jays
18. Mets (Tom Glavine, A, to Atl)
19. Cubs
20. Mariners
21. Tigers
22. Mets
23. Padres
24. Phillies
25. Rockies
26. Diamondbacks
27. Twins (Torii Hunter, A, to LAA)
28. Yankees
29. Indians
30. Red Sox
Supplemental First-Round Picks
31. Twins (Hunter)
32. Brewers (Franciso Cordero, A, to Cin)
33. Mets (Glavine)
34. Phillies (Aaron Rowand, A to SF)
35. Brewers (Scott Linebrink, A, to CWS)
36. Royals (David Riske, B, to KC)
37. Cardinals (Troy Percival, B, to TB)
38. Braves (Ron Mahay, B, to KC)
39. Cubs (Jason Kendall, B, to Mil)
40. Padres (Mike Cameron, B, to Mil)
41. Yankees (Luis Vizcaino, B, to Col)
42. Red Sox (Eric Gagne, B, to Mil)
43. Padres (Doug Brocail, B, to Hou)
Second-Round Changes
48. Phillies (Rowand to SF)
50. Brewers (Cordero to Cin)
51. Brewers (Linebrink to CWS)
My son never could make a PG event because of either injury or some other conflict. PG not only put him on their list but helped him out, all without monetary benefit.

I think statistically, they are amazing at ranking talent. Sometimes it looks like they miss, but what they miss is pre-draft deals that move a player up or down from where they are ranked.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.