Skip to main content

Boy, this is tough.
Marcus Stroman, a 1st round pick from Duke has been suspended 50 games for violation of the MLB policy.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/articl...ey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

The policy can be pretty darn tough in Milb, but the policy is one which is heavily emphasized, too.

'You don't have to be a great player to play in the major leagues, you've got to be a good one every day.'

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is one of several that I have read about.Each time the player deviated from the list the MLB gives you that tells the player to take NOTHING that does not have the NSF stamp of approval.

It can be a pain,but even your cold medicine,vitamins and anything you ingest as far as a supplement or medicine (unless prescribed)all has to have the NSF testing.

It states this in the players packet.I know two other boys that were suspended for mild stimulant that is in a pre work out.

Cytosport is one company among several that has gone through this rigorous testing.

Its difficult as you can take something by accident and be in trouble.best to follow this list.The above player according to the article did not.
quote:
Originally posted by infielddad:
Boy, this is tough.
Marcus Stroman, a 1st round pick from Duke has been suspended 50 games for violation of the MLB policy.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/articl...ey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

The policy can be pretty darn tough in Milb, but the policy is one which is heavily emphasized, too.

Stroman reportedly purchased a substance that is legal for United States citizens to use, but falls outside the guidelines of most professional sports.

That's the statement from the article that, for me, sums his liability. As a pro athlete, he should have known better. Shame on him and I would feel the same way if he were mine. No tears here either Pop UP..
I don't disagree with you, he should have known better. But there are so many sports drinks, herbal drinks, energy drinks, supplements, shakes, etc. out there that it is totally ridiculous. It's in weight rooms, locker rooms, gyms, vitamin stores, convenience stores, etc. It's as ubiquitious as Coca-Cola, and will probably soon pass it in popularity. Heck, you've got stuff like protein powders and muscle milk and **** like that in college locker rooms. As a professional athlete he is held to a different standard. But I can understand him picking up one of of these drinks without giving it a second thought. It's a different world.
All pro players are given a phone number to call for product info as well as a website. There are no excuses. Perhaps maybe for the Spanish speaking player or just out of highschool not from a well educated college player who knows better.
Its not a secret that players test the system. Even the guys that got some bucks in their pockets. The only defense for them is that the new signing period doesn't allow breathing room for those new signees not physically prepared for what they are not used to.

I don't believe that players getting caught are new users for banned substances but rather those that misjudge random testing.
My son says he took a pre-workout supplement called Knocke, which is close to the Jack3d supplement in its ingredients. Both have DMAA.

Too bad. All these guys take supplements. They should know which ones are off list.

I know Marcus and his family, having spent quite a bit of time on the sidelines with them over the last 3 years. Pretty severe penalty, but I guess those are the rules.
Can he still practice? If yes, I don't think it's such a bad deal. If he weren't allowed to touch a baseball until May 2013, I'd feel bad for him. If he can still pitch to and train with his teammates- do everything except participate in games- it's like being a redshirt, even better if he gets paid for it.
Last edited by AntzDad
He is not part of any team. He was a candidate for a September call up and invite to spring training. He cannot play and get paid until next mid may. He embarrassed his organization his family himself and his former college coaches and program I am sure. I don't think that is ok but to each their own.

He will have plenty of time to practice.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by Dad04:
quote:
Originally posted by 55mom:
My first thought was: If a Dukie can't figure this out, maybe it's too complicated?

Don't know, just asking.

Apparently, the many non-Dukies can figure it out. You may have answered your own question....Wink

Wink

just to be fair, have heard nothing but positives about Marcus Stroman over the past three years. Wish he had been much more careful and all the best next year.
DMAA is no longer legal to manufacture so this won't be a problem much longer. Once the DMAA/geranium-containing products on shelves sell out, they're gone for good. I work in the dietary supplement industry so I try to be up on these things Smile I'm always happy to answer any questions and there is actually a website your college athlete can use to ask someone to review to see if the ingredient label lists any banned ingredients.

Most products kids use don't have banned ingredients. DMAA was by far the most prevalent and the fact that it was banned for competition was dumb in the first place. It is perfectly safe (at least, has the safety level of caffeine more or less -- way too much could be bad, especially if you have a heart condition). The reason it is being made illegal to manufacture now is not because of its safety, but rather the fact that nobody can prove it comes from a plant. The industry is abuzz about this.

As far as the NSF thing, NSF supplements should be fine. My perspective on it, though, is that the approval process prices out the "little guy" so if you're interested in purchasing from smaller companies they'll never have that NSF stamp but the reputable ones will have the GMP quality control certification and it is fairly easy to find out if the ingredients are legal yourself. In my experience, both the best and the worst formulated supplements come from small companies -- big ones typically do not have products that are truly useful beyond their protein products, and the pricing on these things is not always competitive...it's all unnecessarily complicated honestly.

It can be much easier to just buy as few dietary supplements as possible. I think most young men's diets could use supplemental protein and there is a "fun" factor in buying a pre-workout supplement, but with the ban of DMAA most do little better than a cup of coffee or caffeine tablet would do.
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
He is not part of any team. He was a candidate for a September call up and invite to spring training. He cannot play and get paid until next mid may. He embarrassed his organization his family himself and his former college coaches and program I am sure. I don't think that is ok but to each their own.

He will have plenty of time to practice.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'he is not part of any team...' I'm asking 'is he banned from any contact with the Toronto Blue Jays, and anyone, anything, affiliated with the Toronto Blue Jays, until May 2013? or- can he play winter ball, go to spring training etc, just not play in any games until the 44th game of the 2013 season.

Instead, Stroman will now miss the final seven games of the Fisher Cats' season and the first 43 games next year. He would not be eligible to appear in a game until mid-May of 2013, which is a major blow to not only the Blue Jays but his chances for making a strong impact next year.
Last edited by AntzDad
What I meant was that the player is suspended from play for 50 games (that would be milb, MLB and anything related to that (winterball). I am also sure there is a no team contact as well until suspension is over. Most likely upon return from suspension he would go to extended spring training for a bit.
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Up Hitter dad:
Please don't take this as a stupid question, but does anyone just eat the proper normal food, work out with weights, etc, or does all athletes need this stuff to stay in the game?

If I only knew how much Pop up is spending on his snake oil supplements, I would probably quit supporting his baseball.

If this kid did indeed test positive for DMAA, I wouldn't look down on him for it. VERY irresponsible to have happened as a professional ballplayer, but by no means do I think he had some big performance advantage because of it.

Certainly best to just eat right, sleep well, etc. but many don't and many others like to do everything right AND buy whatever else they think might give them an edge.
quote:
Originally posted by JPontiac:
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Up Hitter dad:
Please don't take this as a stupid question, but does anyone just eat the proper normal food, work out with weights, etc, or does all athletes need this stuff to stay in the game?

If I only knew how much Pop up is spending on his snake oil supplements, I would probably quit supporting his baseball.

If this kid did indeed test positive for DMAA, I wouldn't look down on him for it. VERY irresponsible to have happened as a professional ballplayer, but by no means do I think he had some big performance advantage because of it.

Certainly best to just eat right, sleep well, etc. but many don't and many others like to do everything right AND buy whatever else they think might give them an edge.

While that is very good advice, a professional season is grueling, and for the new signee, the adjustment alone can be a difficult one, no matter where you were drafted.

Sometimes it isn't enough, some players need to bulk up pre season to sustain the weight loss and fatigue through 6 months or more of everyday baseball.
I know people who take supplements just to maximize their workout, the harder you work the better the results. Not necessarily people in baseball.
For those who still have players at home, make it your business to know what supplements your sons are taking and why. Once they leave home it is out of your control.
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
quote:
Originally posted by JPontiac:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pop Up Hitter dad:

For those who still have players at home, make it your business to know what supplements your sons are taking and why. Once they leave home it is out of your control.

TPM, correct, but he's not paying for the supplements, someone else is. Trust me, bulking up is the last thing Pop up needs now.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.