MEDIA PERSON OF THE YEAR
JAMES PETERS GAZETTE NEWSPAPERS

SERVICE TO BASEBALL
FRANK "JOCKO" SVOBODA

WOMAN OF THE YEAR
DENISE GORHEM BCC BASEBALL

--------------------------------
As nominated by the MSABC and Maryland High School Coaches:

Congratulations to the players nominated.

MSABC Pre-Season All-State Nominees 2007*

Alphabetical HS – CL - Pos

Abdalla Kent Island - 07 - P
Baden Huntingtown - 07 - 2b
Barrett Wooten - 07 – Of-P
Bender Wooten - 07 – Inf
Bennett Col Richardson -08 - C
Benvenuto Snow Hill - 07 – OF-2b
Bersett The Heights - 07 – C
Blackwell Sherwood – 07 - P
Brady Gaithersburg - 08 - P-SS
Carr No Garrett - 07 - C
Coker No. Calvert – 07 – P-Inf
Cook No Hartford - 07 – Inf
Daniels Arundel - 07 – Of
Dattilio No Hagerstown – 07 – Of
DeVito Arch Spaulding – 08 - Of
Evans Bennett -07- Of
Favazza Decatur – 07 - P
Feldman Walt Whitman – 07 – P
Fitzpatrick Georgetown Prep – 07 – Of-C
Fuqua Avalon - 07 - P
Green Parkside – 08 - SS
Hall Broadneck - 07 – C-Of
Harclerode Centennial HS – 07 – 3b
Hardy Huntingtown - 07 - P-3b
Harman Westminister – 07 - P
Hessler Springbrook – 07 - P
Hibbs Arundel – 08 – P - SS
Horning Georgetown Prep - 07 – C
Hudson Decatur – 08 - SS
Jacob Parkville – 07 - P
Judson Quince Orchard – 07-SS
Kane Boonsboro – 07 - C
Kemp Arch Spaulding -08 - SS
Kempa Eastern Tech – 07 - OF
Kolarek Catonsville – 07 - Of
Lincalis Gilman - -07 - C
Lingerman Calvert Hall - 08 – SS
Lombardozzi Althoton – 07 - SS
Main Middletown – 07 - P
Mari St Paul’s – 07 - P
Markey St Paul’s -07 – 3b-Of
Mattison Perry Hall - 07 – P
McIntyre Loyola Blakefield -07 -SS
McTighe Rockville – 07 - OF
Moore Chesapeake – 07 - P
Moss St Pauls’ -07 – 1b
Pace Rich Mont – 07 – OC-C
Patten Arch Spaulding – 08 - P
Pleffner Arundel – 07 – 1b
Rivers, Nick DeMatha – 08 – 1b
Rivers, Ryan Eastern Tech – 07 - P
Scholtz DeMatha – 07 - P
Stevens Good Council – 07 – SS
Stewart St. Mary’s -08 - P
Svec No Hartford - 07 – Of
Swetnam Roosevelt – 07 – P-SS
Thompson Arch Curley -08 - P
Tischler Churchill – 07-C
Travers Riv. Bapt – 08 -C
Turner St Michaels – 08 - SS
Walter C. M Wright - 07 – Of
Whipp Tuscarora - 07 – Inf
Winegardner Riv. Bapt – 09 - SS
Wyman Long Reach- 07 – C
Yermal McDonogh – 07 - P

*HS Players from MD Private and Public HS eligeable.

Also, from last tally (for those with NTK),
~15 HS Sr, from the list, have early signed (NLI) to various NCAA DI's, and a few more have verballed (or otherwise) to DII-DIII & 2 year schools. Congrats again.

Regards,
Bear
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

LT,
Interesting comment.

From the information distributed among MSABC before Dec 5, that talented HS player was NOT on the nominee list, or ballot that I was emailed and voted on.

I do know the nice family of the talented HS player you mentioned and have been over their house for steak dinner, as I coached the older brother (at Penn State maybe?) when he was a teenager. Don't think (or haven't heard) younger brother has early signed. Yet, knowing the family, I will bet younger brother is as smart as older brother, since getting into Penn State is getting harder every year (especially for out of staters).

I did see the Centennial Head Coach at the Dec meeting. He may have submitted a write in. Don't know. I more recall him complaining that the Howard County HS players had to compete in the same MSABC Regional as HS Players in Montgomery County, and Southern Maryland counties, and that he pleaded to move Howard County from the MSABC South Region to the MSABC North Region. That in itself, was interesting.

Here's the top 12 (listed alphabetically) 2007 vote getters.

Tyler Bennett
Steve Benvenuto
Brian Green
Brett Harman
Keith Hessler
Tyler Hibbs
Kevin Jacob
Kyle Kane
Adam Kolarek
Shawn Pleffner
Ryan Rivers
Joe Yermal

Since the goal was to recognize 30 HS players at the MSABC Banquet, the concensus and voting on the next 18 players was no picnic this year, sort of speak, and probably more so this year than in the last ten. (i.e. new inexperienced MSABC Board of Directors).

Bottom Line: The process probably is not perfect. It does work. It could be improved. And reminds me of the controversial of the BSC algorithm. And of course HS Teachers that coach HS baseball would not be considered math subject matter experts, with exception (ie C Sullivan - R Cameron, a few others).

Summary: Let's see your $25 MSABC dues and come out and have some other interesting points of view.

Happy Holiday,
Bear
Last edited by Bear
quote:
Originally posted by Bear:

Since the goal was to recognize 30 HS players at the MSABC Banquet, the concensus and voting on the next 18 players was no picnic this year, sort of speak, and probably more so this year than in the last ten. (i.e. new inexperienced MSABC Board of Directors).

Bottom Line: The process probably is not perfect.

Summary: Let's see your $25 MSABC dues and come out and have some other interesting points of view.

Bear

Dues portion says it all.............
Bear,

You are correct and I agree it happens every year that players get overlooked. I saw Alex play with Donovan quite a bit last summer. He was real impressive. His physical strength at times made it seem like a man against boys.

I'm confident he will have a great season this spring. I'm pulling for him to be a two sporter in college. I would think he will be heading to a top academic school (Bucknell, Lafayette, Penn, somewhere along that line). His rare combination of incredible strength and speed tells me he could play football and baseball at the next level.

I haven't been involved in MSABC for many years. I'm looking forward to getting back into it in a few years.

Happy Holidays!
Bear - can you explain what you meant by

"the concensus and voting on the next 18 players was no picnic this year, sort of speak,"

as compared to how the first 12 were voted in? Did you mean that in your opinion the final 18 were not somehow "worthy" or as good selections as the first 12 and were just "fillers"? or something?

And, can you give us a short explanation of how the voting (selection) occurs? I'm sure we'd all be interested. If this has already been explained in a previous year's post, I apologize.
Hi Mrs H,

Picnics, for me, are simply as a pleasure excursion at which a meal is eaten outdoors, ideally, taking place in a beautiful landscape
(often a ballpark). Picnics are family-oriented and are enjoyable stress free occasions between people, a romantic picnic, or a large get together such as company and church picnics.

On romantic and family picnics a picnic basket and a blanket are usually brought along. At company and church picnics outdoor games or some other form of entertainment are common.
Some picnics in the south (or Austrailia) can also be referred to as "barbie".

And not to be redundant "at the MSABC Banquet, the concensus and voting on the next 18 players was no picnic this year, sort of speak, and probably more so this year than in the last ten. (i.e. new inexperienced MSABC Board of Directors)."

I believe when a HS player can be recognized for his contributions both on the field and in the classroom, it is a positive experience.

I would have to go back and look at my notes, however, I thought I nominated your #1. The final tally of the thirty Pre-Season selections are announced to the public at the Press Conference at Camden Yards in Feb.

Enjoy you son's HS Sr season
LT,

I just heard the older brother, is not on the Penn St roster for 2006-2007, and is administrating Centennial HS Booster Club. (Is he at another college?)

At the May 2006 MSABC Classic at T Stone HS the younger brother topped out at 78-80, and by definition, that arm strength is what it is.

OBTW: Will the IC's "hobby shop" transition to a seemless systems of systems in 2007? 2008?

I heard some media poll say it's acceptable to say Merry Christmas, again. (Last year was Happy Holiday lol.)

Merry Christmas
Bear
Bear: I guess I deserved that as I was not very clear about asking my question. I was feeling concern for the feelings of the 18 who's picks were controversial or stressful as compared to the top 12. Of course, all 30 picks should feel proud of the honor of being selected to the Preseason Team and I'm sure they will, whether or not their selection caused stress or came about with lack of consensus.
To be perfectly honest ladies and gentleman, the one name missing that I find to be the most questionable (argubly) is a senior from Middletown High Ty Main, the kid is an excellent hitter, fielder(OF), and pitcher. He is going to Florida International which is a pretty good D1 program. He was also a team Maryland particpate.
LT,
Interesting comment.

From the information distributed among MSABC before Dec 5, that talented HS player was NOT on the nominee list, or ballot that I was emailed and voted on.

I do know the nice family of the talented HS player you mentioned and have been over their house for steak dinner, as I coached the older brother (at Penn State maybe?) when he was a teenager. Don't think (or haven't heard) younger brother has early signed. Yet, knowing the family, I will bet younger brother is as smart as older brother, since getting into Penn State is getting harder every year (especially for out of staters).

I did see the Centennial Head Coach at the Dec meeting. He may have submitted a write in. Don't know. I more recall him complaining that the Howard County HS players had to compete in the same MSABC Regional as HS Players in Montgomery County, and Southern Maryland counties, and that he pleaded to move Howard County from the MSABC South Region to the MSABC North Region. That in itself, was interesting.

Here's the top 12 (listed alphabetically) 2007 vote getters.

Tyler Bennett
Steve Benvenuto
Brian Green
Brett Harman
Keith Hessler
Tyler Hibbs
Kevin Jacob
Kyle Kane
Adam Kolarek
Shawn Pleffner
Ryan Rivers
Joe Yermal

Bottom Line: The process probably is not perfect. It does work. It could be improved. And reminds me of the controversial of the BSC algorithm. And of course HS Teachers that coach HS baseball would not be considered math subject matter experts, with exception (ie C Sullivan - R Cameron, a few others).

Happy Holiday,
Bear

Last time I checked Ty Main was not on that list of 12 players that officially made it. He is on the nomination list.
Thanks again for all those who participate in this forum.
Soxfan: No, he doesn't appear on the top 12 list as posted by Bear, but there are 18 more players who have also made the Preseason team, (30 total) as far as I understand. I wonder how kosher it is that the first 12 have been posted, and why can't we hear who the other 18 are? Either the Preseason Team is secret or is not. Or are only 18 names secret?? I'm confused!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.