Skip to main content

At the the end of every game, no one (except those that know you and your player) should know which kid on the team is yours.  Cheer equally for all of them.

It's worked through 8 years for DSinfortworth, and hopefully it will work for CSinfortworth for the next 8.

Good luck to all, enjoy it.  It goes REALLY fast.

“I don’t scratch my head unless it itches and I don’t dance unless I hear some music. I will not be intimidated. That’s just the way it is.”

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Matt13 posted:
JCG posted:

That's some good wisdom there. 

I think I do okay on that,  but I need to talk myself into believing that every call the PU makes is sent directly from heaven by a host of angels.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you where they really come from.

I had a picture. IDK what happened to it. It came from a camera forum. It was a close up of the catcher and umpire as the ball was just crossing the plate.  Both had their eyes closed. I guess they were both counting on the big guy too.

SomeBaseballDad posted:
Matt13 posted:
JCG posted:

That's some good wisdom there. 

I think I do okay on that,  but I need to talk myself into believing that every call the PU makes is sent directly from heaven by a host of angels.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you where they really come from.

I had a picture. IDK what happened to it. It came from a camera forum. It was a close up of the catcher and umpire as the ball was just crossing the plate.  Both had their eyes closed. I guess they were both counting on the big guy too.

If I happen to do that, I rely on sound. It worked for Ron Luciano, right?

russinfortworth posted:

At the the end of every game, no one (except those that know you and your player) should know which kid on the team is yours.  Cheer equally for all of them.

It's worked through 8 years for DSinfortworth, and hopefully it will work for CSinfortworth for the next 8.

I have a somewhat different experience.  I always root for, and acknowledge, the other players on the team.  If you heard me, you would think they were my sons.  This has always been my practice.

One day, another dad on the team came up to me and asked "You are so enthusiastic and positive and always supportive of everyone on the team.  But, I rarely, if ever, hear that same level of support for your own son when he's on the field or batting."

I had to laugh when he said it and explained to him that MY VOICE is the last thing my son wants to hear when he's on the field, etc.  After the game, sure, I will tell him that I was proud of his effort or something like that.  But, while he's playing, he doesn't want to hear anything from me.  And, that's fine.  When he's hitting or something, I just sit there an keep my mouth shut. 

Francis7 posted:
russinfortworth posted:

I have a somewhat different experience.  I always root for, and acknowledge, the other players on the team.  If you heard me, you would think they were my sons.  This has always been my practice.

One day, another dad on the team came up to me and asked "You are so enthusiastic and positive and always supportive of everyone on the team.  But, I rarely, if ever, hear that same level of support for your own son when he's on the field or batting."

I had to laugh when he said it and explained to him that MY VOICE is the last thing my son wants to hear when he's on the field, etc.  After the game, sure, I will tell him that I was proud of his effort or something like that.  But, while he's playing, he doesn't want to hear anything from me.  And, that's fine.  When he's hitting or something, I just sit there an keep my mouth shut. 

This is so me! When my boy pitch, hit or play! (Error or greatness) I just can’t say a word! I let him be! Figure if he hears me he would be distracted! All the other players I love cheering  them on. My son says he don’t hear (not focused) on the crowds of people around him.  

Last edited by NY
Francis7 posted:
russinfortworth posted:

I don't say a word to my kid while he's on the field.  Nothing I can do other than distract him.  We can discuss later.

I've seen kids on our team look to their dad after every pitch of an at bat.  I just SMH.  

But let me say don't be overkill.  As a coach and a player's dad, don't be that parent who shouts stuff all the time.  We used to laugh at some of the stupid things that parents and grandparents shout from the stands to their kid and the other kids.  "It's ok." when someone misses a ball or yelling hit the ball, keep your eye on the ball, or other stuff similar.  Just be a parent who claps or cheers but lose all the silly stuff.  I hate the parent who wants to use all the baseball lingo for every batter.  I try to make sure I'm so far away from that parent or fan.  But they always seem to find me and I have to walk away.  Let the players use all the lingo and be a parent.  My son says he wishes the fans would just be there if they want but not yell all kinds of stuff.  Except the students. 

Francis7 posted:
russinfortworth posted:

I'm the same.

I golf clapped through eight years of high school sports with two kids. I remember being loud in baseball/softball four times. The first time each kid’s team won their conference and each kid’s first high school home run.

In rec and travel baseball, softball and basketball I was always on the coaching staff until my son played 17u. In soccer I knew I didn’t know enough to open my mouth. It didn’t stop a lot of parents. I always stood near one of two dads who were experienced soccer players and asked questions.

After games we didn’t discuss them until the kids brought them up. This is because my father was the post game parent from hell. 

PitchingFan posted:

But let me say don't be overkill.  As a coach and a player's dad, don't be that parent who shouts stuff all the time.  We used to laugh at some of the stupid things that parents and grandparents shout from the stands to their kid and the other kids.  "It's ok." when someone misses a ball or yelling hit the ball, keep your eye on the ball, or other stuff similar.  Just be a parent who claps or cheers but lose all the silly stuff.  I hate the parent who wants to use all the baseball lingo for every batter.  I try to make sure I'm so far away from that parent or fan.  But they always seem to find me and I have to walk away.  Let the players use all the lingo and be a parent.  My son says he wishes the fans would just be there if they want but not yell all kinds of stuff.  Except the students. 

Totally agree.  There is never a reason for a parent or any adult on the sideline to offer some sort of "instruction" to a player when he is playing a game.  It's just flat out wrong, IMHO.  And, any parent that does it automatically makes "my list."  Personally, I find one or two words is enough.  Someone gets a big hit or makes a nice play?  "Attaboy!" works.  Pitcher executes perfectly?  "Nice pitch!" is enough.  Just something brief and encouraging.  Lastly, there's never a need to say something when someone experiences some failure on the field.  Trust me, the kids don't need to be reminded of it.  They know it when it happens and they don't need some adult on the sidelines pointing it out.  Basically, let the coaches do the coaching and just be supportive in a positive way without going nuts about it.

Even though I couldn't agree more with Russ' guidelines, I think we get too particular sometimes about our preferences and tolerances of what type of parent fans we want in the stands and I'm guilty.  We are all types of people with all types of baseball backgrounds or lack of.  Heck, if they are there whenever they can be, that's the most important thing.  And, to me, lots of noise is way better than silence.  The "everywhere in between" is the colorful, entertaining part.  It used to be a point of irritation for me.  I've grown.  I enjoy most all of it now.

Last edited by cabbagedad

I don’t think I’ll ever forget this event.

My son was playing U13 travel soccer. We were waiting for the U14 to end to take the field. This exchange took place between a dad and his son ...

You’re out of position. Get over there (pointing). The kid told him the coach told him to be where he was. The dad said out loud for everyone to hear the coach doesn’t know squat. Then he asked his kid if he wanted to play college soccer eventually. Dad demanded his kid listen to him. It got the kid pulled off the field.

The coach played college soccer. The dad never played soccer. The kid became a meaningless part of the high school team. 

His parents had a reputation of attempting to manipulate and position their kids throughout their rec, travel and school athletic careers. They had the reputation among parents of, beware if they’re smiling. Somehow, somewhere they’re attempting to screw your kid for the benefit of theirs. We threw the dad off the youth sports board. 

Last edited by RJM
russinfortworth posted:

I keep a score book at both my boys games.  That way I can "concentrate" and don't have to "chit chat".

I was the official scorer for the team. How can you concentrate with parents bugging you it was a hit not an error? I gave up scoring after one year.

Last edited by RJM

RJM brought back a funny memory with S1.  1st year of T-ball in Wichita KS.  After a couple of weeks of watching S1 have trouble hitting because the coach was having him stand to close to the tee, I told him to back up a little so that he could get his arms extended.  

Fast forward to the next game...............S1 comes up to bat, coach tells him to move closer to the T, son says "my dad says you don't know what you are doing, and to stand here".  (I don't remember saying that, but I probably did). 

Needless to say, I believe it was a triple off the LC wall, and we never got any batting help from that coach.....

RJM posted:
russinfortworth posted:

I keep a score book at both my boys games.  That way I can "concentrate" and don't have to "chit chat".

How can you concentrate with parents bugging you it was a hit not an error. I gave up scoring after one year.

I keep score at my kid's games because it keeps me busy and (duh) it helps me keep score of the game, inning, outs, etc.  People always ask me questions about the inning, score, etc.  (including coaches and sometimes umpires!).  Usually, the dad of the current pitcher will ask me about pitch counts.  (Yeah, I do the clicker too.  At this point, it's a reflex and I don't even think about it.)  It's only usually once in a while that someone will ask me "hit or error."  And, then they react adversely to the answer, my reply is always the same:  "I'm a very tough scorekeeper.  But, I'm just keeping score to kill time.  Don't go by what I write down."  Most times, after that, they never ask again.

Francis7, you are the dad I'm glad I did not coach your kid.  I get amazed at the parent's who keep scorebooks in the stands for all ages including high school, travel, and college.  Get a life.  Enjoy the ride.  Put the book away and just enjoy watching your kid play the game.  I had a grandmother who kept a book and kept asking if it was a hit or an error.  I finally said stop asking me.  We have an official scorekeeper.   If you have a doubt put an error.  If an infielder missed a ball, it was an error.  I have enough to do keeping the players focused.  I told her to put the book away and enjoy watching your grandson.  I will send you our stats and scorebook after every game if that is what you are wanting.  I put them on public site anyway.

I just do not understand parents who keep books or stats.  Why?  If you stay attentive to the game you should know outs, strikes, balls, and score. 

Enjoy the game, btw, it is only a game.

PitchingFan posted:

Francis7, you are the dad I'm glad I did not coach your kid.  I get amazed at the parent's who keep scorebooks in the stands for all ages including high school, travel, and college.  Get a life.  Enjoy the ride.  Put the book away and just enjoy watching your kid play the game.  I had a grandmother who kept a book and kept asking if it was a hit or an error.  I finally said stop asking me.  We have an official scorekeeper.   If you have a doubt put an error.  If an infielder missed a ball, it was an error.  I have enough to do keeping the players focused.  I told her to put the book away and enjoy watching your grandson.  I will send you our stats and scorebook after every game if that is what you are wanting.  I put them on public site anyway.

I just do not understand parents who keep books or stats.  Why?  If you stay attentive to the game you should know outs, strikes, balls, and score. 

Enjoy the game, btw, it is only a game.

Maybe I should clarify?  I never kept a book at Little League games.  Mostly because I was coaching the game.  But, in the few instances where I was in the stands, I didn’t keep a personal book.  Why?  Those games are meaningless and for fun.  Who cares?  I also never kept a book at his Middle School games.  Why?   Simple:  Have you ever seen a MS game?  Most of them are these crazy 160 minute 7-innings messes with a final score of 15-13.  I don’t have enough ink in my pen for that stuff.  PASS.  So, where do I keep score?  I do it at his travel games.  Again, it’s to keep busy and keep track.  It’s by no means an official book.  And, I would never ask a coach anything.  It’s a very casual thing.   I do it on the fly.   Literally, I am writing in uniform numbers as the kids step into the box for the first time. No names.  Just numbers.  (And, if it’s a case where a team has two players with the same number, I might write something else in there like “red helmet” or “lefty” to distinguish between the two.)

Personally, with all due respect, I think that YOU are missing the point.  Keeping score is ENJOYING the ride.  For me, I always tell people, “this is my version of the old lady knitting while watching TV.”  It’s just something to keep your hands busy.  I don’t total things up, keep stats, etc.  That’s not what it’s about, for me.  It’s like doodling during a conference call.  Fidget spinning for baseball dads.  Anyone who takes offense to someone “keeping score for fun” is someone just looking for something to shake a fist at like Grandpa Simpson.

This all said, sure, I bet that SOME are nuts about it, keeping stats, using it to make a case, etc.  And, they are probably annoying coaches with questions and trying to insert themselves into the team picture.  But, it’s not everyone. At least, it’s not me!  Don't throw  me into that gang.

PitchingFan posted:

...I'm glad I did not coach your kid.  I get amazed at the parent's who keep scorebooks in the stands for all ages including high school, travel, and college.  Get a life.  Enjoy the ride.  Put the book away and just enjoy watching your kid play the game.  I had a...

I'll share something that was amazing from my perspective with you:  over winter break I went back and pulled several scorebooks from games my son + his roommate played against each other when they were growing up.  They were glad that I had them, they enjoyed the banter back and forth about who had a better day, teammates, coaches and experiences.  I look forward to doing it the next four years, mostly for them.

I'm not a scorekeeper, but the "Get a life" comment was a bit much.  There was a husband/wife combo from last year's team, wife kept score and dad wrote awesome recaps in our local paper.  Will miss them this year.  I go to MLB games and see people keeping score in the stands.  I also have vivid memories of my grandmother keeping score of every Yankee game from her living room. 

It's just what some people enjoy doing.  To each his/her own.

I'm all for people who keep score. 

I hate doing it, myself, and am grateful to anyone who does. I'm often coaching,  so having a reliable scorebook/GC'er person is an asset. We do find that we often have to go back and change a lot of "hits" to "E", at times, but that's not a biggie, and the scorer gets the message after a while. 

Overall, i'll take someone scoring quietly in the stands over some obnoxious yeller, but that's me.

My wife truly enjoys keeping a book and has a score book for 99% of the games that my 2 boys have ever played.  She started, I think because we never had working scoreboards etc at the younger ages, and just became a habit that she enjoyed.  She doesn't share with coaches or other parents unless they ask.  I typically warn them that she is tough, if A Rod would have made the play she thinks your kid should too.  They can look at their own risk.

While at Perfect Game this summer, a scout for an MLB team was sitting beside her.  After the game he talked with her and asked if she would take a picture of her book after our games and send it to him.  He was following one of  the players on our team (not my son), and said her book was more accurate than anything PG scored and better than most other scouts he had seen.  She was happy to help.

I love when coaches that don't know her, try to talk to her like she doesn't know the game.  The usually only do it once..  God, I Love her .

Last edited by wareagle

One story that I will add that I forgot about until just now.

At one of my son’s 14U travel games, I was keeping a book, as usual.  And, our pitcher ended up throwing a no-hitter.  If not for me keeping the book, most would have not known he was pitching a no-hitter.  Of course, I kept my mouth shut until he was about 5 outs away.  But, at that point, I had to mention to some sitting by me that he was throwing a no-hitter.  Some had no idea.  Others thought that might be the case but they weren’t sure until I told them.  Anyway, he got the no-hitter and it was a great moment for him.  Unfortunately, his father wasn’t there.  Only his mother was there to see it.  After the game, I told her to take a picture of my scorebook with her phone and show it to the kid’s dad later.  I lost count how many times after that game, through the end of the summer, that she thanked me for that photo.  So, there’s that…

I’m a stats nut, sad to say, and my wife and I have tried to GC as many of our three boys’ games as possible. It helps both of us relax, some folks like to follow, and if it’s a questionable play we both ask others for input. 

If I weren’t doing gamechanger, I’d be like the Earl Weaver of the bleachers, chain smoking away. 

My mom kept a book for my brothers and me, Shetland through college and semipro. She still keeps a book at MLB and Milb games. One of the few times she didn’t was at Felix Hernandez’s perfect game, which she got to see with my wife and two of my sons. She said she happened to sit next to this “old geezer” (her words, not mine; she was 76 at the time) who was keeping a book so she just talked with him about the game. After it was over the guy tells her she was his lucky charm. He’d been going to games for 65 years and this was the first perfect game he’d ever seen. My wife said she’d never seen my mom blush before. 

Last edited by smokeminside

I've been on this site for a very long time so please forgive me for repeating stories.  I am not the type to care one way or the other about me rooting for my kid.  I was not obnoxious.  Typically, I would say something along the lines of "have a good at bat" which is pretty much it.  I remember when she went to college, she was worried that the college coach would think that I was coaching her so she asked me to sit quietly in my chair.  Well, I couldn't do that.  In fact, as she began her freshman year, I couldn't sit at all when she went to the plate.  I'd get up and walk in the background back and forth until she finished her at bat.  I didn't realize that she took note of the empty chair.  She came to me about a third of the way through the spring and told me that I had done a great job coaching her and that she knew what to do at the plate.  She asked me to sit down.  She wanted to know that I was sitting there watching her at bat and not pacing.  In fact, she said that she'd get the hits if she wasn't worried about me pacing.  I sat down and enjoyed the rest of her career.  What helped was finding a similar dad who had also been his DD's high school coach.  We sat there and talked about the game and barely ever said a word.  

I will mention that my wife was the one yelling for all of the players.  She would get so into the games and I doubt that any stranger knew who her daughter was since she was constantly cheering every player.  

CoachB25 posted:

In fact, as she began her freshman year, I couldn't sit at all when she went to the plate.  I'd get up and walk in the background back and forth until she finished her at bat.  I didn't realize that she took note of the empty chair.  She came to me about a third of the way through the spring and told me that I had done a great job coaching her and that she knew what to do at the plate.  She asked me to sit down.  She wanted to know that I was sitting there watching her at bat and not pacing.  In fact, she said that she'd get the hits if she wasn't worried about me pacing.  I sat down and enjoyed the rest of her career.  What helped was finding a similar dad who had also been his DD's high school coach.  We sat there and talked about the game and barely ever said a word.  

Great story. Sitting calmly in my chair is something my son would appreciate. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.