Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

MST: thanks for posting this (makes me feel like I got a jump on the rest of the boys). I'll tell you one place that "bag blocking" occurs a lot is the first baseman holding runners on. I hate that when the guy is just in the stinking way!
Coaches (and umps by calling it) need to emphasize to kids even when they are very young they need to stay out of the way unless they are playing the ball. Lots of times you'll even see a hs 3rd baseman in the way looking at the ball in the outfield...
Last edited by trojan-skipper
Thanks for posting as well because I do try to know the rules (although later in this post I will prove that I don't) but I got a few questions.

1. On the coach/player in the coaches box - exactly what is it saying? I'm not sure if I understand the changes made here.

2. What is the punishment for not putting subs on the lineup card? I see that quite a bit where I am.

3. How is this new rule about denying the runner a path to the base different than just calling obstruction / interference? It seems like this was already being covered by another rule.

Thanks for helping me understand these.
quote:
Originally posted by coach2709:
Thanks for posting as well because I do try to know the rules (although later in this post I will prove that I don't) but I got a few questions.

1. On the coach/player in the coaches box - exactly what is it saying? I'm not sure if I understand the changes made here.

2. What is the punishment for not putting subs on the lineup card? I see that quite a bit where I am.

3. How is this new rule about denying the runner a path to the base different than just calling obstruction / interference? It seems like this was already being covered by another rule.

Thanks for helping me understand these.

On the coching box revision, last year the coach was required to be in the box from the time the batter stepped in the box, through the pitch. If i understand what they are saying they have to stay there though the wholle inning. Another impossible thing to keep track of.

There is still no penalty for not listing the subs. They are just making known that is important to do it.

The obstruction difference is actually a big change. They have taken the imminent out of the rule. You now have to have possession of the ball to block a base. It is closer or the same as LL and NCAA. I haven't seen the actual rule but I'm sure they will allow the ability to step in to catch but niot set up to make the ball to come there.
My son is none too happy about the obstruction change. He has created more than a few outs by getting the ball after the runner has slid into him in front of the plate.

Currently, most umps will give the catcher some slack on the "imminent" rule. If they enforce it to the letter now, there go those exciting plays at the plate!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.