Skip to main content

Hello! My son had a season ending injury in September 2013 and the last live pitching he saw was at the East Coast Pro event in August 2013. He committed to a major D1 in his Sophomore year (2012) in HS as a SS. He was still drafted in June, blessed! He has worked hard to get back into baseball shape leading up to his Freshman year which is now. During innersquad scrimmage games he has started at SS and some 3rd. He has not been in a game situation since August 2013 and he is saying  he feels like he has never played before. I told him he was rusty from being away so long. He struck out 6 times his entire  HS career and he k'd his first 4 at bats in the first scrimmage. Welcome to D1 kiddo, lol. He is crushing it during BP but has yet to dial in on the D1 pitching. Velo is averaging 92

My question is, typically how long do you think it will take for him to get his timing back when hitting?. Do you have any suggestions to help him out? As far as fielding again he feels like he has never played before, but has made some nice plays too and he is completing for SS or 3rd. I think the coaches understand he's working on coming back off injury, but not sure how much tolerance they have with a situation like my son's. Thanks for your comments in advanced.
Mike G
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As my son says hitting (at the college level) is all about timing. It is going to take him a long time to get his timing back. It would not surprise me if he has to work at it for 6+ weeks to get it back after being away for so long. There is no magic, just lots of hard work, cage, BP and live hitting. BTW you can not compare HS stats to college stats, I am sure he has the talent which is why they picked him, keep encouraging him he will work through it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.