Skip to main content

I'm changing the forum name to 2008 now that school is here for 2007 students.

Remember to "Please do not post commitments or any information that is not 1st hand knowledge". Early signing will be here before we know it. Good luck to all.
[B]"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."[/B]
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congrats to Alex and the Wildcats as well. The Indiana Bulls are a fantastic team. We had a classic this summer with you guys at East Cobb. The Dirtbags vs Bulls was a great game. Alex was terrific and it was a fun match up. My son was the catcher for the Dirtbags. Your players were a classy group of young men that play the game the right way.
Here is a list of D/FW area commitments as of 11/6/07:

Player Name---Pos---HS---Select Team---College Commitment---Perfect Game National Rank

Ryan Akins---MIF---Flower Mound HS---Dallas Tigers---Kansas State---473

Alex Baker---RHP---McKinney HS---Air Force

Carson Blair---3B---Liberty Christian HS---Texas Blackhawks---Tulane---495

Boomer Collins---RHP/IF---Waxahachie HS---DBAT---Nebraska---611

Jeff Emens---IF/RHP---Plano East HS---DBAT---Missouri

James Foster---OF/IF/LHP---Trinity Christian Academy---DBAT---Wofford College

Trey Frazier---1B/LHP---Prestonwood Christian HS---Dallas Mustangs---Dallas Baptist University

Seth Gardner---OF---Highland Park HS---McKinney Marshals---Arkansas---586

Ben Grisz---RHP---St. Marks HS---Dallas Giants---Duke---100

Joey Hainesfurther---SS/C/RHP---Highland Park HS---Dallas Mustangs---Baylor---224

Jordan Imhoff---OF---Arlington Martin HS---Arlington A's---Oklahoma---429

Walker Kelly---LHP---Ft. Worth Arlington Heights HS---Midland Braves---TCU---31

Travis Jones---RHP---Highland Park HS---Dallas Giants---New Mexico State University

Kale Kiser---2B/OF---Plano West HS---DBAT---Nebraska---729

Matt Lackie---RHP---McKinney North HS---DBAT---Louisiana Lafayette---214

Andy Lalumandier---C---McKinney HS---Air Force---854

Brandon Loy---SS---Rowlett HS---DBAT---Texas---196

Jerod McKinney---OF/C---Hughes Springs HS---DBAT---Arkansas---69

Jacob Mizzell---Arlington Martin HS---Louisiana Monroe

Kaleb Merck---RHP/3B---Keller HS---Dallas Mustangs---TCU---170

Ben Mrachek---IF---San Antonio Reagan HS---Dallas Baptist University---737

Miles Mulkey---RHP/IF---Denton HS---Texas State

Teddy Nowell---LHP/1B---Mesquite Poteet HS---DBAT---Oklahoma---385

Jonathan Perlman---MIF---Highland Park HS---Dallas Giants---Arkansas

Curtis Peterson---RHP---Denton Ryan HS---Dallas Panthers/Wizards---Nebraska---339

Alexander Robinson---OF---Dallas First Baptist HS---Dallas Panthers/Wizards---Notre Dame---242

Bryant Rutledge---LHP---Frisco HS---Dallas Diamond Jaxx---Texas State---749

Caleb Spengler---MIF---McKinney HS---Air Force

Jordan Swaggerty---RHP/C---Prestonwood Christian HS---Dallas Tigers---Arizona State---50

Nico Taylor---1B---McKinney North HS---Dallas Mustangs---Arizona

Matt Thompson---RHP---Arlington Grace Prep HS---DBAT---TCU

Hamilton Wise---OF---St. Marks HS---DBAT---Northwestern

David Wright---C/3B---FW Country Day HS---Dallas Panthers/Wizards---TCU---179
Last edited by Old Pitcher
Daniel Marrs, James River, Wake Forest
Austin Stadler, James River, Wake Forest
Chad O'Connor, Western Branch, UVA
Will Roberts, Maggie Walker, UVA
John Austin Hicks, Goochland, UVA
Danny Hultzen, St. Alban's, UVA
Justin Thompson, Tunstall, UVA
LJ Hoes Saint Johns, NC
Scott Silverstein, UVA
Carl Travers, Riverdale Radford
Matt Mac, Saint Johns, Radford
Shane Halley, Lake Braddock, UVA
Peter Verdin, Pope Paul VI, U. Georgia
Levi Hyams, Colonial Forge, U. Georgia
Brett Bowers, Pope Paul VI, East Carolina
Phillip Clark, Collegiate, East Carolina
Taylor Buran, Benedictine, Maryland
Zack Hegelson, Hidden Valley, Maryland
Cole Shain, Broad Run, William & Mary
Tadd Bower, Cosby, William & Mary
Matthew Snyder, Westfield, Ole Miss
Michael Snyder, Westfield, Ole Miss
Daniel Bowman, Turner Ashby, Coastal Carolina
Dustin Galbraith, Douglas Freeman, West Virginia
Ronnie Shaban, Cosby, VA Tech
Jonathan Watson, LC Bird, Longwood
Will Lamb, Seaford, Clemson
Gary Ward, Hickory, Miami
Andrew Deal, LC Bird, VMI
Jackie Bradley, Prince George, South Carolina
Kyle Long, St. Anne's-Belfield, Florida State
St. Johns College High School, Washington, DC has Nine (9) Division 1 Signings

Player School
Hugh Adams Florida Atlantic University
Cory Beahm University of Hartford
Jeff Flax LaSalle University
LJ Hoes University of North Carolina (Rawlings Second Team All-American
Michael Loeb Davidson College
Matt Mack Radford University
Craig Miller LaSalle University
Nick Routt Mississippi State University
Scott Silverstein University of Virginia (Aflac All-American)
Thanks; Ian is very excited about the opportunity.

http://virginiapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=778721

The Herndon team has struggled a bit in the Concorde more recently and, though there have been some bright spots, it has been real hard to stay positive. With some up and coming underclassmen, who knows what can happen this year? That's the great thing about spring training, isn't it? Hope springs eternal.

Your PM about Tony Starinieri? Yup, he also signed with FCC (to compete for a spot in the middle infield). To this minute, I don't know what to make of that whole situation. The kid has played crazy good baseball all summer and fall (middle infielder with great hands and a very solid bat) for the three years we have known him, but can't seem to get a break and grab a starting spot on his own HS team??? Go figure; the young man is a designated runner on his HS team but will be competing for an infield spot on a nationally ranked (currently 7th, I think) JuCo.

I guess the lesson I get from that whole situation is that if you work hard and produce, someone will eventually notice. I am reminded of Michael Jordan's "struggles" as a high school ballplayer; I hope this is just the kind of "hiccup" that will keep him hungry and progressing long after the "superstars" have fallen off. Good for him for sticking with it.
Last edited by Ole Ball Coach
quote:
Originally posted by thumpsdad:
I saw that Ian went yard deep Monday night against Park View. I am guessing that Herndon is going to do their fair share of scoring runs this year...

Yup. Knock on wood, he is seeing the ball pretty well right now. We have two other kids, Brownell and Medina, who are lighting up the score board. Hopefully, our pitching will hold up.
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Ball Coach:
quote:
Originally posted by thumpsdad:
I saw that Ian went yard deep Monday night against Park View. I am guessing that Herndon is going to do their fair share of scoring runs this year...

Yup. Knock on wood, he is seeing the ball pretty well right now. We have two other kids, Brownell and Medina, who are lighting up the score board. Hopefully, our pitching will hold up.

We made a day trip and I took the family to the Herndon - Fairfax game on Friday. Between Medina, Brownell and McNichol, I am shocked that Herndon doesn't score 10 runs every night. Ian hit a double off the fense (the hardest ball I have seen hit this side of the pros) that was a line drive that sounded like a cannon went off when it hit the tarp in center. Brownell hit a bomb that is out every where except Herndon. And Medina might be a better pure hitter than both of them. These guys are the reason Herndon is a sub - .500 team?
I think so. He has been practicing hitting wood from the left side when he can (to get ready for summer with the Iron and for Frederick in the Fall) so I would guess that he is.

The biggest irony of this year's whole high school debacle is that he is batting around .400 hitting just from the right; if he used his speed and power by hitting both ways his average and OBP would probably be a hundred and fifty points higher. Ian had an inside the park HR from the left side last year in summer ball at South Lakes (the center fielder had cheated in a bit too much and got caught) and was a doubles machine. The thing is, he was always fast, but he just gets through the ball so well and really gets out of the box quickly.

Anyway, you would think that our current coaches would welcome it because it is another tool to generate runs and baserunners. BUT, the coaches actually threatened to sit him for the year if he decided to switch hit (my favorite line was "you are on the outside looking in"). Ugh.
Last edited by Ole Ball Coach
quote:
I think so. He has been practicing hitting wood from the left side when he can (to get ready for summer with the Iron and for Frederick in the Fall) so I would guess that he is.

The biggest irony of this year's whole high school debacle is that he is batting around .400 hitting just from the right; if he used his speed and power by hitting both ways his average and OBP would probably be a hundred and fifty points higher. Ian had an inside the park HR from the left side last year in summer ball at South Lakes (the center fielder had cheated in a bit too much and got caught) and was a doubles machine. The thing is, he was always fast, but he just gets through the ball so well and really gets out of the box quickly.

Anyway, you would think that our current coaches would welcome it because it is another tool to generate runs and baserunners. BUT, the coaches actually threatened to sit him for the year if he decided to switch hit (my favorite line was "you are on the outside looking in"). Ugh.

It seems those coaches over there will do anything to hold a player back. Why didn't they at least give him the opportunity to show what he can do from both sides in scrimmages and non-conference games? And why is it if a player shows any ability whatsoever the minute he becomes a senior he is on the outside looking in? He has clearly been the team leader on offense all year yet he's still fighting for recognition, let alone his job!
Ole Ball Coach,

It sounds as though Ian will have no trouble making the transition to the minors when he gets drafted in the first round of this years draft. Batting .550 is a pretty tough thing to accomplish, even if you do face the pitchers that Herndon does. Well actually, i take back my last statement; Ian, who is apparently one of the top prospects in the state, should have no problem batting at least over .700

Hop Off!!
quote:
Sarcasm. I get it =).

OBC, I hope that Medina gets more mention than I have seen elsewhere; the team's hitting goes up and down but he seems to continue to produce while playing a very good centerfield. McNichol and Brownell are moving on to play college ball; I hope that someone will take up Chris' cause...
Last edited by thumpsdad
quote:
Originally posted by Spartan81:
Where is Brownell headed?

Brownell is headed to Hamden-Sydney (sp?). As for Medina, we can't say enough good about him. An all around athlete (plays basketball and football too). Always positive and he really has been the go-to guy with the bat this year. And yes, TD, he gets the job done real well in center. I haven't talked to his folks about it, but I imagine that he will get some serious college attention when the time comes.
Here are a few signings out of the south florida area:

Brett Scarberry 2008 Catcher Western High

Riley McDermott 2008 RHP Western High

Thomas Padro 2008 Shortstop Everglades High

Michael Zequeira 2008 Catcher/DH Pinecrest School

These boys have played together in rec ball and on the South Florida Buzz travel team for the last 8-9 years. They are very lucky that they will continue their academic and baseball careers together at Anderson University (DII) in Anderson, South Carolina.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.