Skip to main content

These are district records

1-Menchville 8-0
2-Kecoughtan 7-1 (lost to Menchville, rematch 4/24)

3-Bethel
3-Warwick 5-3
3-Woodside

6-Denbigh
6-Hampton 3-4

8-Gloucester 2-6 (only PD team to beat MHS last year, picked to be in the top three this year, lost a lot of close games)

9-Phoebus 1-6
10-Heritage 0-6
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't think there's any way that Menchville is even close to being the best high school baseball team in the nation. These polls are all subjective and lets be honest, lets compare the schedule of any team in Virginia to a team that plays in Florida, Texas or California. 20 games vs. 30, 40, 50 or more games? In California and Florida, they have official fall baseball season's in addition to the spring season. They play more baseball and its at a higher level.

Make no mistake, Menchville is very good, but I used to live in Florida and its not the same level of play.
quote:
Originally posted by baseballfaninvirginia:
In California and Florida, they have official fall baseball season's in addition to the spring season. They play more baseball and its at a higher level.

I am not sure what you mean by official. Cannot speak for Florida or Texas but it is true that in California most of the larger programs compete during a fall and winter season but they are not any more official than the H.S. fall leagues that we have in the Tidewater. Meaning there is no trophies or district championship that are played for. These are instructional leagues only.

Now for the blinding flash of the obvious...The biggest advantage that Southern California HS (and yes Florida and Texas as well) is that "year round" means just that. They play baseball year round becuase the weather allows them too.

And that is why for the most part these schools are much better. Not because they have better talent (they have more talent but they also have more people). Just more time to prepare in my opinion.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.