Skip to main content

My son was invited to attend the PG Underclass showcase on 8/15 at The Ballfields. He is a Freshman and has never attended any camps before. From all the I have heard PG is pretty good. I was hoping some of ya'll out there could answer a couple questions?

1) When they say "invited" what does that really mean? Does any one get turned down or is invited just a first come first serve thing?

2) Is this a good camp to attend?

Thanks
Original Post
NtxMustangs,
The South Perfect Game Underclass event at The Ballfieldsis really a showcase and not a camp, the difference being that at a camp there is mostly an instructional facet while a showcase is about showing off the abilities your son already has. My sophomore will be attending also. Last year my older son was at the South Top Prospect Perfect Game event which was held at the same place at the same time and I got to see a lot of the Underclass proceedings. There seemed to be a lot of talent and I noticed the scouts and college coaches easing over to watch the underclassmen also, as well as the older guys. Naturally I think its a great first major showcase. The boys will run a couple of 60's, throw from their positions, have a batting practice session and then participate in a couple of games with 5 or 6 at bats. Pitchers usually throw one to two innings with a maximum of 5 batters per inning. One thing I don't like is the rule about no walks or HBP are allowed to go to first which gives pitchers a distinct advantage since they have no fear of pitching inside and continually jamming hitters. Overall though the event is a good one though and a great first step up the event ladder. I don't know exactly the criteria for invitations but I would recommend that your son be a better than average ballplayer before I would spend the money for this type of showcase. Of course whats better than average is each persons opinion. Older son did end up signing with his college as a result of going to the Top Prospect showcase that will be going on there at the same time for the older guys.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.