Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is a one-day event.  For my son, it's an opportunity to get his feet wet.  I'm sure we'll hit a full showcase at some point down the road.  This is from their site:

Each player may choose to attend either January 18th OR January 19th
 January 18th  OR  January 19th
•2 p.m.Players report
•3 p.m.Workout begins
Run 40-yard dash
Outfielders field and throw
Infielders field and throw from shortstop
First basemen field and throw
Catchers pop time
Batting practice
•Simulated Games (pitchers are scouted and evaluated during games)

just browsing through the chat rooms and ran across your posts, for what it is worth I am a junior college coach in washington state.  I think that these events are a great place for your son to, as you said "get his feet wet" its good for him to see whats out there at his age group. it will give both of you an idea of where he stands with the other kids in the area, and what he needs to do to improve.  Also assuming he is a 2017 (given NYdad2017) grad don't worry about how he stacks up with the other kids there he has time to get better.  I have seen to many kids go to these events and get discouraged if they don't perform well.  he needs to go in and work hard  and take the positives out of the event. worry about what he can control things like work ethic, getting better every day, being a good teammate.  these are the things I look for, I am assuming the talent is already there if he is going to this event. these are the things these coaches want to see. at the end of the day there are over 1600 schools out there with baseball programs. take care of business in the class room and the baseball becomes easy. Check out Basebypros.com.

thanks for your time,

darren

Cost?

how do they play games indoors?  Is there a limit to number attending?  

They will get velocity numbers, and run times. Games r really for pitchers and are not "real". Catchers can show well too. At the PG Showcase my son attended(he did get good score) batters hit did not get base, no walks, sometimes start w 1-1 count to move things along. Pitchers were somewhat wild-they were going for vel numbers more than real pitching.they only have two innings to show their stuff. Saw very few good hits, no one bunted to move teammates around they were trying for fence to get noticed. 

Guess everyone has differing views. I know 3 kids who just signed w good academic D2 program who never went to showcases. They were seen at local tourn. And attended schools camp. They fit in D2, maybe if they were D1 talented they would have gone who knows. 

Good luck, pace yourself money wise-it can be very expensive the next few yrs. look for the best bang for your buck

Are all PG showcases the same?  At $400, it is pretty expensive for 1 afternoon.  Do they have any scouts there?  Son is Jr. this year, has been to a few college camps, will PG be better to get seen?  Dont have a big buget, can't be flying to other PG showcases.  This is the closest one for us.  Just want to make sure it is dollar wise.

Thanks

I questioned the same thing myself. My son played at PG last summer at age 16 and pitched well. Those numbers were listed as well as blog mention. Then everyone said we had to attend showcase to get things going. We had no clue so we  went and he did well-not a 10 but respectable. Was pricey. Really only way to get numbers. Some people go to several per yr to improve. When he sends emails to colleges he sends link to PG stats. Who knows if coaches look. The two that hVe shown interest in him so far did not mention that being import to them. One school saw him play in tourn. Where he pitched game of his life, so IMO some luck is involved. The other D1 school liked the way he pitched at their camp and are following him. Now it's up to him to work hard and get better. He's also looking at D2 schools. All depends on best fit academically as well as baseball-how much he will play, coaches, etc.  

We will play in PG tourn. Again this summer but hVe no plans at this time to go to another showcase. Also easier for pitchers IMO to get things started. Numbers get you noticed, but then you have to show well in games. son has friend who pitches in low 90's so far and just signed w D1 and he never attended a showcase. Local school heard about him and got him. 

Obviously our kids are different ages, mine is a 2017, so our approaches will differ.  I know there is another PG showcase in NJ, in early June I believe.  That will be a 2-day outdoor one with games, so that may be better for your son.  For my son, his HS team "may" still be involved in the HS playoffs, so I'm hesitant to book anything at that time. Also, this gives him an opportunity to see where he's at and what he needs to work on over the next year or two.  Theoretically, we can then attend another showcase and see where he's at.

Spending the money on this is not going to break me, but that being said, I plan to choose wisely as we move along.

I have learned a lot about what to do and not do thanks to you folks.

Last edited by NYdad2017
Originally Posted by NYdad2017:

Obviously our kids are different ages, mine is a 2017, so our approaches will differ.  I know there is another PG showcase in NJ, in early June I believe.  That will be a 2-day outdoor one with games, so that may be better for your son.  For my son, his HS team "may" still be involved in the HS playoffs, so I'm hesitant to book anything at that time. Also, this gives him an opportunity to see where he's at and what he needs to work on over the next year or two.  Theoretically, we can then attend another showcase and see where he's at.

NYdad2017,

Sounds like your plans are set, but another option you might consider is registering for the June showcase in NJ, then transferring your registration to a later showcase if 2017 is still playing HS ball at that time.  Please check with PG to verify, but I believe they will allow you to move to a later one under some circumstances.  They have hosted late August showcases in NJ for at least the last three years.

Originally Posted by MidAtlanticDad:
Originally Posted by NYdad2017:

NYdad2017,

Sounds like your plans are set, but another option you might consider is registering for the June showcase in NJ, then transferring your registration to a later showcase if 2017 is still playing HS ball at that time.  Please check with PG to verify, but I believe they will allow you to move to a later one under some circumstances.  They have hosted late August showcases in NJ for at least the last three years.

Good point.  I'll look into it.  Thanks MidAtlanticDad.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.