Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tell your son to get a good nights sleep Friday night, and eat a healthy breakfast Saturday morning. Make sure he is relaxed, and has a good time during the showcase. He should hustle in and out of the dugout, and if he is a "pitcher only", maintain his composure while on the bump during good times and bad...the PG evaluator's are pretty good at their job and tend to notice the little things too.

The Sunshine West is going to be pretty strong this year, it looks like they have some very good players participating. My 2011 son was invited out to the CBCA Junior South Showcase (couldn't pass up a free event!) this upcoming weekend, so he'll miss the PG event. I wish your son the best, have fun!
For a pitcher I recommend pitching and not overthrowing but...they do grade in part on velocity. He should look for situations in which to throw hard such as airing one out on an 0-2 count. Also they tell the kids to throw only fastballs after they walk a hitter so at that point it is a good idea to throw hard strikes and not try to nibble. I'd also recommend if he's cruised through without an opportunity to throw hard and gets to his last batter that he go for it on that batter.

Each pitcher has to do what is working for them that day and has to balance pitching well and putting numbers on the radar gun. Pitchers also need to showcase their off speed pitches.
Last edited by CADad
Hey all...haven't logged in in a while...surprised I still remember the password. Anyway, my son attended this showcase, too, and had a great time. It was his first showcase, so he was pretty nervous before the event, but he said once he started warming up, the nerves just turned into excitement.

He threw 4 innings on Sunday morning, and I thought he did very well (although the automatic 'Dad Bias' always kicks in no matter how good or bad he does). He hit 86 from the outfield, whcih was nice to see.

I asked him if he put his best performance out for the scouts to see, and he said he did, so that is all we can ask for...for recruiters/scouts to evaluate his best game. Most of all, he had fun the entire time, and was most surprised by how friendly all the other players were...made it much easier.

Now we have to wait a month to see what they saw!!! Ugh!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.