Skip to main content

I would highly recommend that parents and especially coaches read up on this particular point of emphasis for 2013.  It has been an issue in the scrimmages this spring so far.  

Umpires will be enforcing this emphasis and it may result in a "balk" or a called "ball". 

Take a look at the attachment (powerpoint) on all of the rule changes and the POE... Again pay attention to the pitching POE.

"it's nothing till you call it"

Attachments

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Catcherz_Dad:

I've seen that hybrid stance a lot over the last several years, especially with a RHP and runner at 1B.  I guess some guys feel that its an advantage to have their body somewhat more open with a runner in that position.  What brought about the POE on that stance?

POE's are put in place when enough people complain about it... so if your squeaking wheel gets loud enough it either changes the rule or it becomes a POE. I wish enough would complain about the HS balk rule and have them change it to the NCAA or MLB rule.

Originally Posted by TX-Ump74:
Originally Posted by Catcherz_Dad:

I've seen that hybrid stance a lot over the last several years, especially with a RHP and runner at 1B.  I guess some guys feel that its an advantage to have their body somewhat more open with a runner in that position.  What brought about the POE on that stance?

POE's are put in place when enough people complain about it... so if your squeaking wheel gets loud enough it either changes the rule or it becomes a POE. I wish enough would complain about the HS balk rule and have them change it to the NCAA or MLB rule.

I guess it comes down to the perception of what effects teams/coaches/fans the most.  And in this case, this stance must have led to enough pick-offs or enough bickering that it became a POE.  Thanks for the info, Texas-Ump.

Originally Posted by Outtolunch:

This is just another POE that will be talked about and talked about and talked about through the scrimmages and then when the season gets through the tournaments will never be consistently enforced, or enforced at all. It happens every year, like the gorillas stance from the pitcher, one foot in the batter's box at all times, etc.

Well if you come in to where our TASO Chapter calls games... it will be called more often than not... we are insisting our guys call this without hesitation.  We don't make the rules we just enforce them..

Has there been any logic shared for "why" the hybrid stance is being prohibited now?  It doesn't give the pitcher and advantage or batter a disadvantage and poses no additional safety risk.  As I've tried to explain this to players, coaches and parents everyone asks "Why?". 

Being comfortable on the mound is of course critical and to require pitchers to change the stance they've been using for a long time is a big deal.  I hope most umpires use 2013 as a transitional year and don't make this any more of a problem than it's already going to be. 

5 of 6 pitchers on our staff have to adjust their stance to be in compliance.  The hybrid stance allowed pitchers to keep their motion more north to south.  The traditional windup creates some east to west movement that cause command issues for some.  I guess it is still legal to pitch from the stretch with bases empty if they can't adjust??

"It doesn't give the pitcher and advantage..."

I respectfully disagree.

With the new POE, a RH pitcher must rotate his shoulders 90 degrees. The old hybrid 'open stance' allowed a reduced distance to rotate for the pick off to 1st base. It shaved off degrees of rotation. Also, the more open the set position was, made viewing the runner easier without moving the pitcher's left shoulder. I agree with the new rule.

With that said, I watched a pitcher challenge this rule last week. The RHP set his left foot close to his right foot and to me he was set up open. Since the distance between his feet was short, it was hard for the ump in the B position to see this. Had the pitcher set his feet further apart on the same angle, it would have been much more noticeable.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.