Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by bbscout:
infielddad, Dustin Pedroia is a very good prospect. Where he gets drafted would only be a guess on my part, but he will get drafted quickly and get an opportunity to play pro ball. I have watched him since he was in the 10th grade and he has a couple of tools that are outstanding......he can really hit and is an outstanding fielder. He has a great make up and has a feel for the game that not many players have that will take him a long way.

With the thread about Ellsbury, I couldn't help but think about bbscout and the many times he posted about, and projected about, Pedroia.
How about that: Can really hit and is outstanding in the field with a feel for the game that will take him a long way. bbscout truly knew this game he loved so very much.
Wonder how many of our current threads will have value to readers in 3-4 years?

'You don't have to be a great player to play in the major leagues, you've got to be a good one every day.'

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

iheartbb,
I think it would be appropriate for those who have met him in person to tell you all about bbscout. He was our resident bona fide MLB scout on the HSBBW who gave great advice and he gave it more often from a parent's perspective than from a scout's perspective. He suddenly passed away not too long ago or maybe it is closer to a year ago. Time goes by so quickly.
bbscout, as it says on the going pro thread, was a beloved father, husband, grandpa and scout.
Doug scouted for the SF Giants for the majority of his career and ended up with the Washington Nationals.
Doug's sons, beemax and deemax have now joined us on this board and have been wonderful contributors in several different threads. beemax is currently in the Nationals minor league system and has just finished a very nice season which included some very fun posts from deemax about those wind blown HR's.
Doug was just a nice man. I had the chance to meet him and then talked with him and emailed numerous times. Lunch one day when Stanford got rained out was a blast.
I also had a bit of a double check on Doug. I learned he played in the Giants organization in the 60's. Found out when I was talking with a coach in TX who played with him in the minor leagues. When I would see my son play college ball in Tx, I got to talk with a DIII legend, Jim Mallon, who would tell me about Doug and others. When I would see Doug at Stanford, he would tell me stories about the coach in TX.
One thing I learned from Doug is that he loved his family before everything, but the passion for baseball, scouting and helping players and parents were always in his vocabulary.
I hope beemax and deemax will help us here and feel free to talk about their Dad.
I could have found 20 posts where he talked about Pedroia.
I had way more than that in emails and PM's where he talked, with great pride, about his sons.
justbaseball and PGStaff also knew Doug. I hope they will share also.
Last edited by infielddad
infielddad,

Thanks for the repost from my Dad. I played with Pedroia in summer ball in high school and learned quickly not to ever doubt what he could do. If he becomes a Hall of Famer I would not be surprised in the least. I know that sounds crazy because he just finished his rookie year, but that's how highly I think of him as a player. He is a one of a kind and plays with more confidence than any player I have ever played with or against.

My Dad did love all of us very much. I know he spent a lot of time on here helping out and just talking baeball, and it is always good to see that his words still hold weight around here. He was a great baseball man and great father.

Thanks again.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.