Skip to main content

Need advice. Our son has been playing on summer travel team with same guys since little league and by the same coach. Coach played D1 for 4 years and 7 years in MLB and we've taken pitching lessons for years from him so it's been a really good experience for him. Problem is team is predominantly a year younger than my son and due to his summer birthday he's continued to play "down" with these kids. They are very good athletes; however, tournaments we were in last summer gained him NO exposure (were on 15U team). Played some great tournaments but obviously no scouts at this age level. My son started varsity as freshman in right field and was #2/3 pitcher sophomore year on high school team. Throws mid 80's. Is 6'0 and 150 lbs junior.
Question is what direction do we go now? We know we need to gain him exposure. He has had high school coaches in area (as well as his summer coach) tell him he has good chance to play at the next level.
Does he need to put emphasis on showcases or tournaments? Winter camps? Write letters to schools he's interested in? And play on at least 17U team next summer or stay on team we're on which will be 16U?
We are disappointed in our decision last summer because we feel we missed opportunities for him and don't want to make the same mistake.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to hsbaseball web!

First thing I would do is frankly assess why your son is still playing a year down, where he stands in relation to those players, and how those players stack up as college prospects. Second thing I would do is talk to your coach, tell him your son's goal (if it really is his goal), and ask his advice on how to invest your son's effort in that crucial summer after his junior year.

Once you've done those two things, you can look for the following indicators that it's time to move on:

1. If the team won't have the reputation or competitive record to attract college coaches to its games at major tournaments. It's very unusual--possible, but unusual--for a team made up of guys who have played together since little league to still be together in high school and be an effective vehicle for college recruiting. Is this group really capable of going to East Cobb and doing some damage? If not, get on a team that is. With 200 teams in these big tournaments, college coaches need a reason to scout your games. Usually that reason is if a team has the best players from a certain broad area.

2. If the coach doesn't have a plan or the personal commitment for getting your son the right exposure. My experience is that the right travel coach who really is personally committed to finding the right fit for his entire team--and has the network to do it--is worth the price of playing on a high level travel team. Does your coach know the current recruiting environment and have the contacts to get college coaches to come to his games?

3. If your son is more advanced than his current competition. If playing down a year group has him dominating younger opponents, he needs to swim in a deeper pond. A good rule of thumb is to play on the best team he can get adequate playing time.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.
Last edited by Swampboy
quote:
Does he need to put emphasis on showcases or tournaments? Winter camps? Write letters to schools he's interested in? And play on at least 17U team next summer or stay on team we're on which will be 16U?

All of the above and more, if necessary.

Showcases offer the best value.

If you are in love with a particular school, a camp makes lots of sense. Some college camps, also have a plurality of recruiters from other schools as well.
quote:
Originally posted by baseballfan1:
Need advice. Our son has been playing on summer travel team with same guys since little league and by the same coach. Coach played D1 for 4 years and 7 years in MLB and we've taken pitching lessons for years from him so it's been a really good experience for him. Problem is team is predominantly a year younger than my son and due to his summer birthday he's continued to play "down" with these kids. They are very good athletes; however, tournaments we were in last summer gained him NO exposure (were on 15U team). Played some great tournaments but obviously no scouts at this age level. My son started varsity as freshman in right field and was #2/3 pitcher sophomore year on high school team. Throws mid 80's. Is 6'0 and 150 lbs junior.
Question is what direction do we go now? We know we need to gain him exposure. He has had high school coaches in area (as well as his summer coach) tell him he has good chance to play at the next level.
We are disappointed in our decision last summer because we feel we missed opportunities for him and don't want to make the same mistake.

Our son is also a 2012, and was in fairly the same situation as yours. Had a July birthdate, so played his eligible age group through 14U...but grade-wise, he was a year ahead of everyone else on the team. We made the decision to leave a VERY good team (ranked in the top 10 by Perfect Game for 14U) and moved up to a 2012 (16U team for summer 2010). The old team stayed at 15U. It was very productive season for him and we made some good contacts through the summer.

This fall and next summer he'll be moving up and playing on the organization's 18U team. My suggestion is to at least play on a 17U team...even though age-wise he could probably still play on the younger team.

When we left the team we did after four years we got flack from some people regarding our lack of loyalty, yada yada yada. But as a high school junior, I don't think it's as much about being loyal to the team you've been on since Little League, but making opportunities for the player to play at the next level. Especially if the old team isn't going that direction.

OK, have rambled enough.
Thanks for all of the advice.

Have one last question. Will there be more college scouts/coaches at 16U or 17U tournaments/showcases? My gut and common sense tells me 17U because that would be predominantly juniors, but our travel coach is saying my son will get just as many looks playing on a 16U team. Again, he is trying to persuade us to stay down because he needs pitchers. Our problem is there aren't many 17U teams in this area and we will have to travel at least 2+ hours away to find a team.
Appreciate the insight from this message board.
Last edited by baseballfan1
Don’t worry you are in fine shape. Next summer is the most important time for him. Make a list of schools he is interested in and send an email to the coach with a summary sheet of your son, and any remaining fall games he will be in if any. Toward the end of his HS season and after you have your summer schedule send a follow up email on where he will be during the summer.

A couple of keys:

1. Get on a good high profile 17U team.
2. Target the schools he is interested in and make sure he is in contact with the coaches. You have to take control of the process, don’t shotgun it.
3. Make sure you go to PG/WWB East Cobb July tournament.
4. Make sure you get an Area Code invite
5. Get him on a scout team next fall. (If they have them where you are at)

You should go to two of the top schools camps he is interested in. If he is high academic consider Headfirst of GPA. It is important to keep updating the schools he is interested in with his detailed schedule. The key IMO is a good high quality 17U team and be proactive in communications with his targeted schools. If you have to travel then travel they will not come to you.
Last edited by BOF

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.