Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Still boggles my mind why redshirt rule in football is different.  Anyone have a good reasonable explanation why you can play up to X games in football and still eligible to redshirt but just 1 second on the field for baseball and you lose that eligibility?  I assume all other sports is the same as baseball, and only football is special?

@atlnon posted:

Still boggles my mind why redshirt rule in football is different.  Anyone have a good reasonable explanation why you can play up to X games in football and still eligible to redshirt but just 1 second on the field for baseball and you lose that eligibility?  I assume all other sports is the same as baseball, and only football is special?

Agreed.  This NEEDS to be changed.  Baseball and Basketball need to be in line with football.  The scholarship limits for D1 baseball is egregious as well.

The only explanation I can offer is that it points to the powerful lobby of the major D1 football coaches and ADs. 

The Coaches Associations of the various sports play a big role in this I believe.

Also, the tide may be gradually turning. Division I wrestling now has an exception that's available only in a wrestler's freshman year with a D1 program.  Division II football also now has a rule somewhat like D1, but it's limited to 3 games in a D2 football athlete's freshman year only. 

Agree, and this one really sucks.

NCAA Division III

To redshirt at the NCAA Division III level, the athlete must completely remove themselves from the team before the first game or contest of the season. The D3 rules charge a “season of participation” if an athlete is practicing with their team once the season begins, even if the athlete never appears in a game for their team during the season.

The only explanation I can offer is that it points to the powerful lobby of the major D1 football coaches and ADs.

The Coaches Associations of the various sports play a big role in this I believe.

Also, the tide may be gradually turning. Division I wrestling now has an exception that's available only in a wrestler's freshman year with a D1 program.  Division II football also now has a rule somewhat like D1, but it's limited to 3 games in a D2 football athlete's freshman year only.

@Rick at Informed Athlete

Hi Rick, can you help explain to me the rules around DIII medical redshirt.  Son got injured during practice a few days before the season starts.  Does he have to have zero affiliation with the team during a medical redshirt?  Ie trip to florida, etc.

@HSDad22 posted:

@Rick at Informed Athlete

Hi Rick, can you help explain to me the rules around DIII medical redshirt.  Son got injured during practice a few days before the season starts.  Does he have to have zero affiliation with the team during a medical redshirt?  Ie trip to florida, etc.

Having "zero affiliation with the team" is only necessary to redshirt as a D3 athlete if no season-ending injury or illness is involved.  If your son's injury is serious enough to be a "season-ending" injury as determined by a doctor, your son doesn't have to separate from the team. 

So if a kid goes to a big, elite college baseball program, is healthy and gets 1-2 ABs all season as a freshman what is the coach thinking?   There are two kids form our state I have been tracking that my son played with (among about a dozen total) who were highly regarding as HS and travel ball players.   One is at an SEC school. He was Gatorade POY in our state but better known as a football player and has gotten 2 ABs all year so far (not hurt) but seemed to peak in 9th grade.  There's another (a catcher) at a Big 10 school, also a monster 9th grader that never got any better. I noticed he also has 2 ABs all year.  Another kid we know who was supposed to be a stud has about 10 at bats with 9 ks that just pinch runs lately, like every game, but doesn't play the field.  I was thinking that these kids maintained redshirts but I read here they did not. 

If these redshirts are burned with just a fe chances,   what is the message the coaches are sending, if any?

Last edited by 2023Catcher

It’s hard to say what the message is from the outside looking in. The player has to get a feel for where he stands heading into next year knowing there will be another class of recruits, possibly many of them JuCos and transfers.

A travel teammate of my son went to his coach mid season asking “what’s the deal?” He wanted to know why he wasn’t getting any kind of appearance even in lopsided games. He forced the coach’s hand. The coach planned on telling him in the season ending meeting there wouldn’t be a spot for him next year.

This was just before transferring without sitting out a year. He went 4-4 instead of 4-2-4 and sat out the year. The following year he injured his elbow and sat again. He saw a freshman stud catcher (his position) and threw in the towel. He spent three years in college and never got on the field.

@RJM posted:

It’s hard to say what the message is from the outside looking in. The player has to get a feel for where he stands heading into next year knowing there will be another class of recruits, possibly many of them JuCos and transfers.

A travel teammate of my son went to his coach mid season asking “what’s the deal?” He wanted to know why he wasn’t getting any kind of appearance even in lopsided games. He forced the coach’s hand. The coach planned on telling him in the season ending meeting there wouldn’t be a spot for him next year.

This was just before transferring without sitting out a year. He went 4-4 instead of 4-2-4 and sat out the year. The following year he injured his elbow and sat again. He saw a freshman stud catcher (his position) and threw in the towel. He spent three years in college and never got on the field.

One way the player can get a feel would be where is he playing for the summer.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.