Skip to main content

My 2017 is going the Stanford Future Stars camp.  He's emailed several schools that he will be there, and has gotten some generic snailmail and email in return.  One Div one school which has had the most thorough response spells out very clearly in its letter that they can't talk to 2017 until after Sept. 1.  So, what can they, or we, do at this event to make connections?  Anything? We're a little confused.

"Don't be mean now because remember: Wherever you go, there you are..." Buckaroo Banzai

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Since no one with more expertise on this question has commented, I will give it a shot. Yes, by all means your son should plan on initiating conversations with the coaches at any camp.  I am not sure what the NCAA rules are but I do believe if the coaches are at a camp setting, and the player is present at said camp by his own choice, that they can talk all they want.  As a 2017 there will not be a whole lot to talk about as he is at the very beginning still of the recruiting process, but he can certainly approach any coach at the camp and initiate a conversation.  I believe that's about half the reason one goes to a Stanford or Headfirst type camp.  To have immediate access to about 100 D-1 and D-3 coaches in one place.

I hope some others will post some responses here or correct what I've said.  But my understanding is yes, he can and should talk with as many college coaches as he can at Stanford.

Don't know the camp rule, but I think he can approach them and they can approach him.  I do  know that as far as contact outside of camps, you son can initiate contact but the school can't.  For instance if you son calls a school and they ANSWER the phone he can talk to them.  If he calls a school and the DONT answer the phone, you can leave a voice mail but they can not call you back.

Originally Posted by DaveCA:

From Prep Baseball Report website

July 1st – Prior to Senior Year:  This is the first date that a college baseball coach can meet with a prospect in person, off-campus. Prior to this date any in-person contact between a prospect and college coach must take place on the college coach's campus

The exception to this occurs for coaches who serve as instructors at camps/clinics. They may talk with participants; regardless of their age. This is one of the reasons you sometimes see long instructor lists at camps/clinics.

If, however, they're there merely to evaluate players, they're subject to the rule mentioned above.

Last edited by Prepster
Some of the coaches there are not instructors, but when your 2017 goes to talk to them, they will let them know that they cannot talk to him.  My son last year was able to speak with any of he coaches on the field or in the cages, but the ones that are watching in the stands often cannot speak.

Originally Posted by smokeminside:

Thanks, everyone.  Glad there's an exception.  I think the coaches are listed as instructors.  Now my biggest problem will be to let my 2017 handle the interactions on his own.  Maybe I should just go shopping, or sightseeing the whole time.

Thanks, everyone.  Glad there's an exception.  I think the coaches are listed as instructors.  Now my biggest problem will be to let my 2017 handle the interactions on his own.  Maybe I should just go shopping, or sightseeing the whole time.

Good instincts. Or sit far away from everyone. Let Jr fend for himself. And FYI, for the purposes of recruiting contact, son and parents are the same entity.

Another point is that, once the camp has fully ended, even an underclass player can stay and have an "unofficial visit" with respect to the one school that hosted the event.  So if your son is of interest to the host school, they may invite him to stay longer if he can, and if that happens, you can talk as long as both sides mutually desire.  But again, this applies only with respect to the host school.  Coaches from other schools who may also be present are not in a position to conduct an "unofficial visit" unless you then get in your car and drive to another campus.

Another key aspect of this is that the host school cannot continue with camp activities for specific players of interest once the camp as a whole has concluded.  If that sounds like getting an individual workout or a one-on-one tryout, it is, and that's verboten.  If the host school wants to see you in action, they need to pay attention during the standard activities of the camp.

Last edited by Midlo Dad
Originally Posted by Suds:
Some of the coaches there are not instructors, but when your 2017 goes to talk to them, they will let them know that they cannot talk to him.  My son last year was able to speak with any of he coaches on the field or in the cages, but the ones that are watching in the stands often cannot speak.

Suds, I am sending a PM

Originally Posted by Branson Baseball:

Lots of interesting info posted so far. 

The answer is "YES".  Your 2017 should introduce himself to the coaches at the camp.  My 2016 did this last year...surprisingly, but he did it.  That's been helpful for those schools still on his list as he goes into this most important Summer.

Good luck!

Helpful!  Please look for a PM...thanks...

Last edited by smokeminside

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.