Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There are many fine '09 players -- including those mentioned -- and some that haven't been named (Collins from Justin NW for example). Not all strong '09s will make huge impacts in 2007. When did it reach the point where we think sophomores must excel or be considered "average"? One thing to remember -- despite the arguments regarding summer select versus high school baseball -- there are no 15U, 16U, 17U age groups in HS. It's all 18U....and as good as these kids are, they are still young. Those that don't "leave a mark" this coming season will be heard from in the future. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by 2010DAD:
I think Flower Mound has the best Sophmore class around in 5A, Jacob Morris is one of the best all around athlete in 5A. A true 5 Tool Player. others are ty wheeler, chase Duram and Collin Ashley

I think Coppell goes head to head with the FM 09 crew and comes out ahead, Johnny Walsh - catching, Kettler playing short, Austin Elkins playing 2nd or 3rd or any place they need him, they have some more as well. The FM boys are good, I have seen most of them a lot but I think the Coppell group stands alone. I guess they will have three more years to figure it out. I love the new 6 -5A!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by 2010DAD:
Lake Dallas Has gotten Lucky for getting Derrick Matlock as there coach. I am sure he will coach 2 or 3 years and go off to another school leaving kids that count on him. He has a good track record of doing that....

It's a business like anything else. If you feel you can advance and make your life better for both you and your family, I do not see a problem. It sounds like to me there are a couple on this board that have a personal vendetta against coach Matlock Mad
Last edited by Danny Boydston
It may be all 18U, but it is dramatically, incredibly diluted 18U compared to the top select teams.

It has to be. Just common sense. When three teams have their pick of the cream from the Houston area (actually, draw about a 150 mile radius around Houston), they are picking from a population base of probably 7-8 million. From what population base does the biggest HS in Texas draw? You couldn't expect otherwise.

I haven't seen a HS team yet that could stack up to Kyle Chapman's 16U team. And I've seen some of the perennial powers in HS ball who go deep in the playoffs pretty much every year. Much less the top 17U teams in the state.
quote:
When did it reach the point where we think sophomores must excel or be considered "average"? One thing to remember -- despite the arguments regarding summer select versus high school baseball -- there are no 15U, 16U, 17U age groups in HS. It's all 18U....and as good as these kids are, they are still young. Those that don't "leave a mark" this coming season will be heard from in the future. Smile

Agreed, PD! These kids will be heard from soon enough. I have heard of many of these boys and seen many of them play. Their day is coming!
I can say, from experience in a semi-tough district, that sophomores will play a key role for some if not most teams. Even if the pitching is a little overmatching, which for me it was maybe once or twice (against the same kid), I was still able to do the little things. One thing I've noticed about younger kids playing HS varsity baseball is that they TEND to hustle more. I am not here to bash any older players, but from what I saw, it was usually a younger kid backs up the pitcher (or the apropriate base in general), and executes the bunt (although some may not consider this hustle, it is dedication and determination). Now yes, maybe these were unusual, or maybe younger kids (I know they were younger because I knew them personally) were just called on to do these things more, but these little things are critical. I know LH brought up a sophomore just to run the bases, and that run in one game against us was probably scored due to his base stealing.
Several of the 2006 15-under Dallas Mustangs could be helping their varsity teams this season including John Michael Twichell and Preston Beck at Bishop Lynch, Alex Yarborough (Allen), Tyler Collins (Justin Northwest), Ryan Payne (Hebron), Jacob Morris (Flower Mound), Matt Shortall (Jesuit), Blake Hamblin (Rowlet) and an outstanding lefthanded pitcher at Colleyville Heritage, Aaron Gilbreath.
quote:
Originally posted by Dtiger:
I can say, from experience in a semi-tough district, that sophomores will play a key role for some if not most teams. Even if the pitching is a little overmatching, which for me it was maybe once or twice (against the same kid), I was still able to do the little things. One thing I've noticed about younger kids playing HS varsity baseball is that they TEND to hustle more. I am not here to bash any older players, but from what I saw, it was usually a younger kid backs up the pitcher (or the apropriate base in general), and executes the bunt (although some may not consider this hustle, it is dedication and determination). Now yes, maybe these were unusual, or maybe younger kids (I know they were younger because I knew them personally) were just called on to do these things more, but these little things are critical. I know LH brought up a sophomore just to run the bases, and that run in one game against us was probably scored due to his base stealing.

Something I don't agree with. If a team is in a competitive district and the team is successful, then all the players are hustling.
Train. . .some sophomores will definitely struggle with varsity pitching, which is absolutely to be expected. I agree with that. A few others won't struggle quite so badly. Nobody is suggesting sophomores are about to take over the world. But the reality is, a few will wind up helping their varsity teams in some capacity before the season is over.
Last edited by Hawkman
It is generally true that most sophomores will struggle with varsity pitching, there are exceptions. The starting varsity catcher for Katy last year was a freshman (Andrew Stumph). He hit .350 for the year and led his team in homeruns and RBI's. He hit over .400 in the playoffs on a team that made it to the state finals.

Another freshman (Keifer Nuncio) on the Katy team last year pitched in and won two games in the
Region 3 5A finals. He also pitched well in the state finals against The Woodlands.
Some of the sophomores don't struggle with the pitching at the varsity level because they are playing a year up in the summer. The sophomore on our varsity (Matt Shortal) played with the Mustangs during the summer and during the year did just fine against strong pitching. This isn't the same for all sophomores but it was the same for me. You will see during the summer, if you are playing good compotition, great pitchers that are or will be varsity pitchers on their school team. I'm trying to get at that alot of the sophomores have been playing at this level of compotition all summer long. It's not there first time to see a 88-92mph fastball.
I'd say, in our district last year, when compared to the talent we were playing, the pitching on varsity OVERALL was weaker than the talent in the summer.

I can tell you all, my pitching quality goes down in HS ball-or has in the past-due to a lack of quality catching. This year we have a stud catcher (mentioned on this board a few times) and hopefully will help me a lot. There can't be enough said for a quality catcher and a healthy relationship between pitcher and catcher.
I don't know if you could say I shut them down the entire time. If I'm correct, the first inning consisted of 3 lazers... and I think one ball eventually bounced off the right center wall... but thanks. I must say, by far the best mound I've ever pitched on... and one would expect that, but still.

HSP- was that the best bullpen you've ever sat in? Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.