Skip to main content

With about 30 inches of snow still on the ground, and it being 17 Feb, what are your best guesses on when we should expect to see baseball played in Northern Virginia this spring? It seems to me that with temps in the 40/20 cycle for the next week to ten days, there will still be a heck of a lot of snow on the ground come 01 March. Add to the mix some rain between now and March, and it would seem that there is no way teams will get onto their fields until at least mid-March.

What has been done historically when the schedule gets compressed by weather? Do teams tend to play the entire schedule or do they toss out non-conference games and squeeze in conference games wherever they can?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This winter looks a lot more like what I grew up with in upstate NY than anything I have seen in VA. In NY, the season starts in April, and they play 3-4 games a week, playing the same number of games, and finishing about the same time as we do down here. And we still played a lot of early season games in cold and wet conditions.

If I was a betting man, I'd place a wager on a NY season for NoVA High Schools this year, unless they want to risk losing up to a third of their schedules. Obviously, this places even more of a premium on depth of pitching.
Prompted a bit of amateur research regarding the rate of snow melt at varying temps. Best I could find was this:
http://140.194.76.129/publicat...m1110-2-1406/c-6.pdf

If I'm reading this correctly, a 40's/20's degree cycle leads to about an inch to 1.5" of melt per day (further research shows that the reflective properties of snow mitigate melt from sunlight). So 30" on the ground --> around 20 days to melt. Then how long does it take for the ground to absorb that much moisture to allow for playing conditions. Assuming no further precipitation (which is doubtful!): another 5-10 days? Pure guess, but go with it. So back-of-napkin, best case: no outdoor sports (practice or games) until mid-March. Thinking it's more like end of March when you take into consideration additional precipitation.

So two things:
1) Whatever it takes: push as much snow as possible off the fields to speed up the process! In other words, reduce mother nature's burden as much as possible. Of course, money grows on trees, so just harvest those dollars in the money orchard and get those snow removal machines moving.
2) Tryouts are a head-scratcher: it's not only baseball, but lacrosse, s****r, etc. Can't see how these schools can conduct meaningful tryouts for all outdoor sports using the existing indoor facilities.
As far as "tryouts" go, yes - Varsity level players are generally already known.

IMO, late March is the earliest possible - and some fields may not be playable until early April (Centreville comes to mind...).
IIRC, in '93 (the storm was in mid March) games were cut, schedules compressed, and more teams (at least in the NR)were brought into the playoffs. Of course, that storm impacted all of VA., and this doesn't, so what that means to the NR/VHSL is anyone's guess.
J
I think you'd get the field ready quicker if you removed as much as you could - my thought was to get it down to a few inches left on the field so you don't risk digging into the field itself...But, as eyefortalent suggests, you really can't pile it on the side of the field...you'd have to figure out some way to remove the snow from the field area and have some place out of the way to put it...
quote:
Originally posted by TurnTwoNet:
I think you'd get the field ready quicker if you removed as much as you could - my thought was to get it down to a few inches left on the field so you don't risk digging into the field itself...But, as eyefortalent suggests, you really can't pile it on the side of the field...you'd have to figure out some way to remove the snow from the field area and have some place out of the way to put it...

Might I suggest SE Virginia? (kidding. Sort of)
quote:
Originally posted by Jess1:
quote:
Originally posted by TurnTwoNet:

How about FedEx Field? They won't need it until August!
Big Grin

Might I suggest SE Virginia? (kidding. Sort of)
quote:
Originally posted by Jess1:
[How about FedEx Field? They won't need it until August!
Big Grin

Why would they need it then? Not like there's a Football team in the D.C. area... (Not really kidding... sorta)

Well, parking lot will need to be clear for the tailgate parties...I know there will be plenty of die hard fans there - kinda like Cub fans I guess...But, Dan has enough money to clear it in July if it still needs it...
Are there any artificial turf field options besides Waters? Who controls Waters Field? Is Univ of Maryland turf?

I know that some schools have already had players and parents hauling snow off their fields. They use shovels, load it up into wheelbarrows, and take it away from the field so it does not drain back onto the field.

If we get any more precipitation, they may not play games until April because they have to have a few weeks to prepare to play games. I think Southpaw Dad is right--move the start date back and compress all the games into less time.
Thanks, joemktg for the analysis.

About the precipitation--they are already calling for rain/snow mix Sunday and Monday this weekend/next week. We will probably get two days of rain every week from here on.

I think they have to compress the schedule and try to play 4 games per week. Maybe they could set up 3 team doubleheader Saturdays (each team plays the other once)?
I am sure the key will be that the season has to end in time for State wide playoffs to happen. Out of District games would be deleted and focus would be on in District games. Sounds like teams will need LOTS of pitching to get through it.

Although...maybe Nova teams could focus on regional play since they do not typically figure into the State Baseball playoff situation? hahahahaha
(1) What is the roster limit for public school teams? If a coach ususally has only 16 players, but is allowed to carry 20, maybe he takes 4 additional pitchers who otherwise would play JV ball to help him through the compressed schedule, using those players in the non-league games.

(2) In summer ball, with 16 man rosters or thereabouts, many teams will play 50 games in two months. It is certainly within the realm of the possible to get in 20 games in six weeks.

(3) Looking at the snowmelt so far, it seems that any team that can get the top 10 inches of snow off the field and take it away to an area that will drain back onto the field, may actually have a chance of starting on schedule. The next three days are in the low-mid 40s with sun, with one day of rain/snow mix, followed by more 40s and sun. So, by 1 March, the snow will be mostly gone. The problem will be whether the ground can absorb it and dry enough to play on.
Here we go again. . . Yes, it is only 2-4 inches of snow this time, but it is supposed to be a threat through Friday morning. Add, say, 3 inches to what is already on the ground, and let the temperatures go back to the 20s at night, and it will add up to delays, postponements, and a compressed or abbreviated schedule.

The wind, as bad as it is for power outages and down trees on roads, will help dry things out.

Won't West Springfield figure into State playoffs this year, just as they did last year? It seems to me that the quality of baseball in Northern Virginia is pretty darned good. Otherwise, why so many kids playing Div I ball and why such high quality travel teams?
Isaac,

I agree that the quality of ball here in NoVa is pretty good. I'm sure SOME team from the NR will advance - just not sure which one...although I do know which one I'm rooting for!

On another of your posts, I know Westfields (not the one I'm rooting for!) has turf on the edges of their field and they were actually able to get outside to do at least some of their tryouts. Every other school I've heard about has been doing their tryouts inside.

I'm hopeful that the weather folks got this wrong and that we won't see snow again until...well...next time we go to a ski slope? But it looks like having lots of quality pitching will be an important factor in winning the region this year!
quote:
Originally posted by isaacvanwart:
Won't West Springfield figure into State playoffs this year, just as they did last year? It seems to me that the quality of baseball in Northern Virginia is pretty darned good. Otherwise, why so many kids playing Div I ball and why such high quality travel teams?

You're right; NoVa baseball IS pretty darned good. At least 3 teams from Fairfax County alone are likely to figure into the states this year one way or another -- West Springfield, Lake Braddock and Westfield (although since they're all from the NR, obviously only two of those could advance to the state tourney). And with the number of NoVa guys being recruited and playing top-level ball in college or showing well in the pros (Jesse Beale, Kenny Moreland, Michael Schwimmer, Paul Clemons -- all from NoVa and all drafted or FA signed in the last three years and playing pro ball now), it ain't just the Beach and Richmond that have bragging rights now...
quote:
Originally posted by gr8day4bsbll:
quote:

You're right; NoVa baseball IS pretty darned good. At least 3 teams from Fairfax County alone are likely to figure into the states this year one way or another -- West Springfield, Lake Braddock and Westfield (although since they're all from the NR, obviously only two of those could advance to the state tourney). And with the number of NoVa guys being recruited and playing top-level ball in college or showing well in the pros (Jesse Beale, Kenny Moreland, Michael Schwimmer, Paul Clemons -- all from NoVa and all drafted or FA signed in the last three years and playing pro ball now), it ain't just the Beach and Richmond that have bragging rights now...

I'm thinking there are two or three other teams in the NR that might want a say in who gets to advance...OK, two or three that actually might HAVE a say... Smile Not suggesting that you're incorrect, but I do think there are a few who may have as good a shot as those teams...Of course, right now they all have the same record, but...Should be a fun season! Let's get it rolling!!!
quote:
quote:
Are there any artificial turf field options besides Waters? Who controls Waters Field?

Prince William County Park-n-Rec Authority

We might be talking about two different places, but I'm guessing that Isaac was referring to the turf field at Waters Field in Vienna, which is an independent city in Fairfax County. I'm pretty certain that the field is controlled by the City of Vienna.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.