Skip to main content

Let's hear from those who are starting a new adventure, or who are returning for a continuation!

My son is in the "new" category, using his covid eligibility to play a grad year at a new school.  I'm interested to compare this to his undergrad experience.  Fortunately, at his age, he moved himself in, I just offered a bit of advice via text.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Youngest (junior) went up to school today. He's about 2 hours away. Kind of moved in himself, 4 months post TJ so I helped him some even though he insisted he didn't need it.

Oldest has 1 year left (Redshirt last year after TJ(internal brace)) Has his BS (finance), and looking to see if there's a fit somewhere. Has to make sense academically, financially, athletically in that order.

We took our son back out to Rocky Top two weekends ago. He was no longer allowed in the sports dorm (usually just the frosh for baseball). So he moved into a new apartment just off campus. So we helped him move into that. What was pretty cool, that I did not know previously, that with all the college credit classes he took in high school, he is scheduled to graduate in 3.5 years. With his medical exemption this past season, he could potentially be graduating after fall semester of his baseball junior season.

The boy moved up June one to eat, lift, throw, and take a class before his freshman year.  The first team meeting was Sunday and the coach said, "The fall will be the most competitive fall since we've been here"  Right now I think there are 49 kids in the locker room.

They have 2 fall scrimmages, one against a top Juco and another one against a conference team.

Leaving this afternoon to move son into HA D3.  A week of freshmen orientation activities and then baseball starts when classes begin at the end of next week.  He has worked hard this summer and is confident in his prep - but I have still counted the incoming and returning students and knows he will need to continue to work hard... plus he is enrolled in multi-variable calc which I think is just nutty.

We moved our son into his dorm in June for a summer semester before his freshman year. He took two classes, had a chance to lift, play catch with his teammates and get to know the coaches better. First time he'd been away from home for 6 weeks and he loved it. He is very excited for the fall which will be very busy and competitive based on the number of classes he decided to sign up for as well as the number of kids on the current roster.

Kid is spending his junior fall abroad. Was originally going to Holland but ended up in London as it had better classes towards his degree. Several other juniors are going abroad throughout Europe and he will have 2 team mates as room mates. They found places to practice and train but I doubt they will play any fall ball. He will go to his campus to welcome the incoming freshman and meet the rest of the team and coaches before leaving. I am very happy to announce I will finally have a vacation this fall that does not revolve around a sport.

My son returned to campus last week at his D3.  Hard to believe he's a senior already.  He's an orientation aid for the incoming freshman and is in the midst of orientation training.  The freshmen move in on Thursday for four days of orientation then classes start Monday the 26th.  Son is a math and secondary education major and will be doing his student teaching this fall.  Instead of being on campus, he'll be in a high school all day - his high school's rival, so that should be interesting!   He also has two night classes that go along with the student teaching so he's going to be busy.  I'm not sure how much he'll be able to practice with the team but he will be able to play in the scrimmages on the weekends. 

I moved my Juco freshman last week. It was a long drive! He said there's nearly 60 guys there, but that would include the developmental team. He's heard it's very common for several to quit the first week and more at the end of the semester. So far it sounds like he's off to a good start. Hit well, including numerous line drives and several bombs at the first BP.

Seve

@Momball11 posted:

I moved my Juco freshman last week. It was a long drive! He said there's nearly 60 guys there, but that would include the developmental team. He's heard it's very common for several to quit the first week and more at the end of the semester. So far it sounds like he's off to a good start. Hit well, including numerous line drives and several bombs at the first BP.

Several bombs is fantastic!

@nycdad posted:

Oldest has 1 year left (Redshirt last year after TJ(internal brace)) Has his BS (finance), and looking to see if there's a fit somewhere. Has to make sense academically, financially, athletically in that order.

We have a pulse! Can't go into details yet, but if my son can get get through admissions in time he will have a roster spot this year and be able to finish out his career.

Drove my sophomore son back to school 2 weekends ago.  He is excited as he gets to live off campus in a nice apartment with 2 teammates (both 5th year senior pitchers, my son is a catcher).  He is mostly looking forward to cooking his own food.

I do have a question to all the planners out there.  When do colleges normally release the game schedule for next spring?  If I remember last year, I think it was Nov at the earliest?  It's driving me nuts as I want to start planning for and booking flights for next year for away games that is too far to drive to, and start researching/booking hotels.  I like to book early using my miles, and then I would continue to monitor the flights as I can cancel/rebook anytime w/o penalty if I use my miles.

@atlnon posted:

I do have a question to all the planners out there.  When do colleges normally release the game schedule for next spring?  If I remember last year, I think it was Nov at the earliest?  It's driving me nuts as I want to start planning for and booking flights for next year for away games that is too far to drive to, and start researching/booking hotels.  I like to book early using my miles, and then I would continue to monitor the flights as I can cancel/rebook anytime w/o penalty if I use my miles.

Totally understand.  Airline, rental car, and hotel points are the lifeblood of a college athlete's parents!  We didn't have it so bad, as my son's team came to Virginia every year he played.  A real blessing for us.  I know many players parents who flew in from the west coast every weekend to see their son play.   Those are some hardcore fans!

My son would always let us know what the unofficial schedule was before it was published.   He had some way of finding out.   The official schedule came out with the official roster around Thanksgiving.   We were most interested in the Feb/March schedule which typically brought his team to the MidAtlantic or Southeast before conference play started.  The conference play schedule (April & May) was very predictable back then.   At the right time, I'd ask your son what he can find out through the coaches before they post it.

Just my experience....

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Last year, the official schedule came out in Dec, but the players got it early around mid-Nov if I remember correctly.  I keep asking my son but he is the type who do not feel comfortable asking questions.  He said he will get it when he gets it....  Back in youth travel ball, I'm very good friends with the coaches.  We laugh now at how I used to drive him crazy with how I nag him about the schedules.

I am also most interested in Feb/March schedule.  I hear that they may have some early season games at some very interesting (and warm) places, that are also popular tourist/vacation spots in the winter - hence why I am itching to start booking flights/hotels early.

Most season non conference games are scheduled 2 years in advance and approved by HC before publication. Conference schedules also done in advance. For those visiting on a recruiting  trip the coaches should share that info or you can ask. Especially if it's a northern program going south.

Shhh....don't tell anyone that I told y'all.

TPM

@Master P posted:

My son texted me their fall and spring schedule so its all done but just not released.  I'm waiting to see how Fall ends up and see what his role might be before I book any flights.

Edit, and he just sent me a pic of his new custom glove.  Those kids are WAY too spoiled. lol

Smart to wait for the dust to settle after the Fall.

Every year, my son picked his "new" glove from a pile of used equipment that graduating seniors left behind.  That boy can make an eagle scream on the back of a dollar bill. 

Last edited by fenwaysouth
@nycdad posted:

We have a pulse! Can't go into details yet, but if my son can get get through admissions in time he will have a roster spot this year and be able to finish out his career.

Unfortunately this did not pan out. Too late to get into the program he needed. It was a hail mary. Possibly some positives come out of it though as far as his future working in the industry.

All moved in and ready for Jr. year at new school after 2 JUCO years (minor hic up that the furnished apartment had no furniture), but he's been there a week now.  School starts on Tuesday.  I'm on a need to know basis, but from what I decipher from a few texts:  new coach is cool, about 40 kids on roster (lots of new JUCO kids), volleyball girls !!!!!!!, cafe food is MUCH better thand JUCO cafe, country music concert this Saturday, WIFI still not working in apartment, field has new grass infield, and he's played against about 10 of the kids on the team (either in JUCO, HS, or summer) so baseball is a really small world.

Good luck to everyone this year.  Good health, good grades, and good baseball.

Last edited by russinfortworth
@nycdad posted:

Unfortunately this did not pan out. Too late to get into the program he needed. It was a hail mary. Possibly some positives come out of it though as far as his future working in the industry.

Well, son just finished up the "start of year" compliance session with his new team.....

I should have waited to make that first post. After the HC told him it was too late to get into the school, on Friday my son called the head of the graduate program he wanted to attend (MBA program). He had the required GPA, and had gotten his letters of recommendation, resume, personal statement, etc together over the previous 2 days.

They got him admitted Friday and he packed up his car and headed up last night to an extended stay hotel until he can track down housing which it looks like he did this morning.

This whole thing wasn't out of the blue. The RC/PC that originally recruited him out of HS to his first college is the HC at this school. They've remained in touch, otherwise I don't think it would have worked out.

I told him that the story of how he called up and talked his way into getting admitted will probably be more valuable than the MBA he gets.

Don't really have any more details, feel free to PM. I know some people on the board know what schools he's been at.

One thing I'd say to players/parents that may play a grad year; keep your grades up. I know many players that once they got into college they kept their GPA at the bare minimum. Most graduate programs want at least a 3.0 GPA. We know one player this year that was going to play at Notre Dame and just missed their GPA cut off.

Last edited by nycdad
@ARCEKU21 posted:

We took our son back out to Rocky Top two weekends ago. He was no longer allowed in the sports dorm (usually just the frosh for baseball). So he moved into a new apartment just off campus. So we helped him move into that. What was pretty cool, that I did not know previously, that with all the college credit classes he took in high school, he is scheduled to graduate in 3.5 years. With his medical exemption this past season, he could potentially be graduating after fall semester of his baseball junior season.

That’s what my son did too. He then took graduate courses toward a certificate. Could have been very close to his masters if he used his last year.  Dual credit is great.

New baseball house this year. Last year, it was 8 guys in a 6 bedroom room that was really a 4 bedroom with two rooms framed out in the basement. But, it was really the team house where everyone hung out. Son said there was probably 50 to 60 in the house for the party after they won their World Series bid.

This year, it's a bigger house with just 6 guys in 6 true bedrooms. Last year, they were the only real baseball house. This year, they are one of a few. It will be interesting to see which one becomes the hangout house. My guess is it's his.

Last year's experience was extremely positive and beyond expectations. Hopefully this year matches it.

These are the memories that will last a lifetime, I'm sure. You're only in your 20's once.

Last edited by Francis7

Our son is a freshman (RHP) and move-in day at his D3 was very smooth. He's bunked with another P who he had been in contact with and met prior. The incoming players had been chatting/talking for months, and several had already met one another. He had also been in touch with others on the team. We got together with other families/players for dinner the night before, which was great.

Parents were invited to the incoming players meeting (coaches insisted parents attend) and the coaches shared quite a bit of info. Schedule was posted a week later, and the team is heading west for the spring trip instead of Florida this year. Our daughter plays club volleyball and we're looking forward to seeing what her schedule will be this spring. If it is anything like last year's team at her current age level, my wife and I may be going in different directions.

The team fundraiser consisted of the players working a couple of football games for the local P4 program. The first weekend son worked the gate, the next he was an usher. They also helped to pickup the trash after the games. Other teams from his school also participated in the fundraiser.

Academically his schedule is very challenging and thoughtfully balanced around athletics. So far, so good!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.