Skip to main content

From the 6A part of the world...

Rough Diamond posted:

Chantilly over Battlefield 8-3 last night to capture the 6A North Region Championship. On Friday 6/10, Chantilly vs. Cosby @ 11am and Battlefield vs. Hylton @ 3pm. 

Most likely, Jared DiCesare will go for Chantilly and Jake Agnos with go for Battlefield. Anyone know who may go for Cosby and Hylton, with a quick profile of each?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's funny that someone should mention that.   Here we never said "states" it was always "state"....as in "state tournament" or "we're going to state".   It just depends on where you live....in NW Ohio, I've never heard "states"....but in the Columbus and Cincy areas it's always "states"....never understood it either, but I guess as long as it's your goal, it doesn't matter what you call it right?? 

states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states, states

joemktg posted:

For 6A, it's a Friday then Saturday schedule. So what's the pitching strategy?:
-Start #2 pitcher on Friday, and if he falters, bring in #1. If the #1 is not needed in the win, then he gets the start on Saturday.
-Go with your #1 on Friday, and #2 on Saturday.

Good question. Personally, I am a big believer in throwing your best arm available because anything you cannot take ANY team lightly in the playoffs, let alone the State tournament.

Rough Diamond posted:
joemktg posted:

-Start #2 pitcher on Friday, and if he falters, bring in #1. If the #1 is not needed in the win, then he gets the start on Saturday.

Good question. Personally, I am a big believer in throwing your best arm available because anything you cannot take ANY team lightly in the playoffs, let alone the State tournament.

My understanding is at least one team will probably take the Rough Diamond approach.

CatsPop posted:
Rough Diamond posted:
joemktg posted:

My understanding is at least one team will probably take the Rough Diamond approach.

Guessing that team is Battlefield ... I think Chantilly will do the same. Hylton has a pretty strong 1-2 punch in Fox Semones and Ryan Billy so either of those guys could take the mound.

joemktg posted:

Sorry, stumbled into this thread because title was generic and you don't see the forum name with the new format.

This question (and options) intrigued me.  First, if you've come this far, you want to win it all, not just get into the final game.  So, I am gathering as much info as I can to determine best matchups over the next two games (I get that your second opponent can be one of two different teams).  I don't have a problem with going with #2 if my intel points me that way but I am not going into it with the idea that I will pull him at first sign of problem.  I am going in committed that he is the guy for this game.  Otherwise, #2 will have gone through mental prep, full warm-up and live game action, only to have to do that all over again the next day with your #1 already spent??  For most HS pitchers, that is more of a drain than many realize.  Makes the likelihood of success in the final much lower.

Of course, if you lose with your #2, the bleacher coaches will second-guess you to no end.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Amongst the bigger schools, the trophies were evenly dispersed.  With the North taking 6A,  Tidewater area taking 5A.  And of course the Richmond area taking the 4A...again. 

Given that the VHSL has now allowed a private school to participate in public school activities, I am curious if they will continue to allow Hanover University to continue to participate.  Seems a little unfair that a D1 school can continue to play high school baseball!!!!!!

Finally, I witnessed the 6A Championship game.  Two great teams, and one of the best high school games I have seen.  Congrats to Chantilly!  Hard fought, and well earned!  Congrats to all.

This is what was said of LCA this weekend from a source very close to the program.

1. Most players were held back in 8th grade and some            are 19 pushing 20.

2. No certified teacher on staff per VHSL.

3. They buff their pitching/hitting stats.

4. They started supervised practices and scrimmages before the VHSL start date and dont record on the schedule.

5. Players are live as far a Danville away and stay with host families (or not). Many dont live in LCA district.

They made Millbrook a pretty big team look like middle school age players. Didn't seem fair. Felt really bad for Kettle Run. They deserved to be there. Would have loved for Millbrook to have played Kettle too just to see how we would have faired.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.