Skip to main content

So many schools - HS and College - are 100% virtual or some form of hybrid virtual arrangement now. So many colleges have lost so much money as a result.

It seems like this is going to be the way for the next few months. Then comes the winter.

Is it possible that this leads to no HS and/or college baseball season next year?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not necessarily. In some parts of the country, college football is being played and baseball teams are working hard every day getting ready for the spring. Unfortunetly, it's not going to go away too soon and some schools have done well with managing and others not.

I am not sure how it works for the programs that will be getting colder weather. 

I can speak for my son's D1 east coast experience so far.  Only freshmen living on campus, upperclassmen who have off-campus housing can be there.  Hybrid learning.  My son has 2 classes in-person and 2 online.  Lift and individual work happening per NCAA guidelines.  So far, it's gone really well.  I believe there has only been one case on campus and 1 off.  They go home at Thanksgiving and stay home to finish the semester.  Hopeful that we can play in the spring.  Many of our competitors are all online, so not sure how or if they are practicing. But, intrasquad starts this week I believe.

I'm not sure what's going to happen? The whole thing is a mess and it's been a mess since March. Not sure how and when this thing ends? But, I do pray, if it does somehow manage to wipe out the 2021 NCAA baseball season that the NCAA then doesn't go and give the '21 freshmen another year and/or give all the players from 2020 an additional 2nd free year. The logjam they created this year is bad enough. No need to compound it.

@Francis7 posted:

I'm not sure what's going to happen? The whole thing is a mess and it's been a mess since March. Not sure how and when this thing ends? But, I do pray, if it does somehow manage to wipe out the 2021 NCAA baseball season that the NCAA then doesn't go and give the '21 freshmen another year and/or give all the players from 2020 an additional 2nd free year. The logjam they created this year is bad enough. No need to compound it.

There are many conference programs that are into fall practice and plan on baseball in the spring. Same thing for fall sports that have been moved to the spring. 

Maybe just the same type of situation as college football. Not everyone plays. Not sure if plans have yet to be approved by the NCAA.

my son starts his "fall training" soon.  we have a zoom meeting this week so the parents will get the details.  They have a couple of cohorts of 10 or so kids going for 3 weeks  other than showing your "commitment" to the program, I fail to see what 3 weeks of conditioning, 5 months before tryouts is going to do for the kids.  I heard that they won't be hitting/fielding and that the weights (indoors) won't be used either.  

My kid started school last week. He finished baseball on the last week of August. He pretty much slept, hung out with friends played some basketball, did light workouts (push ups/pull ups/bike) and finished his summer reading.  He just started his creatine load as he wants to gain another 10-15 lbs of muscle why dropping his body fat to 12-13%.  He is talking to Tread to see if they can customize a program for him during the off season. He is now putting more effort to prepare for the SAT/ACT this fall. He will not return to baseball related training until mid November. He made a decision to skip a relatively local D3 camp as it is in October and he felt he would not be ready, kinda silly reason but I agree it should be skipped as there is still time as he is a Junior. There should be opportunities in 2021 for showcasing and camps.   

@Francis7 posted:

There will be attrition due to mental strain and lack of playing. It is very difficult to constantly prepare for something that may or may not happen. It happens every year without C-19. Even if another year is granted, how many will be able to $pay?  How many will be able to withstand the agony of not playing for a year and a half?  How many will be out of shape and ripe for injuries?  These are difficult times for everyone. The best advice I can give is to stay physically and mentally prepared. It will be difficult. But those are the guys that will be on the field. 

@RoadRunner posted:

One case that they know of. I am sure there are many more. It’s irrelevant if you are not hospitalized. I am glad things are going well so far for your boy. 

Locally, we are in a second wave (the first was during the summer, as our community really didn't get hit in the first national wave).  It seems to have mostly bypassed the athletes on this second wave, due to most of them getting it this summer.  Football is back to full contact and there doesn't seem to be any issue.  During the summer, they were very cautious, even shutting down workouts.  However, most of the kids ignored the rules when they weren't in the controlled workouts (many would arrive in packed vehicles, hang out afterwards, etc.), and it seemed to spread to most of them.   For us, baseball is pretty much considered a certainty, but we will keep away until football is done to have a break.  Then hit it hard.

We just received our son's high school schedule. This is in the Houston, TX area. 29 game season.  3 preseason scrimmages, 3 4-game round robin tournaments, then a 15 game district/league schedule, 2 additional non district games.  First game is February 25th and district wraps up on April 30th with playoffs to follow.

Last edited by ARCEKU21

We are currently at 20 games and trying to get into the mid-twenties. Right now we have two of the top 10 teams in the country on the schedule (depending on your source of course). I think coach and the AD have slightly overestimated how good the team will be. Next year would have been better to schedule those teams. Besides 1 senior starting pitcher, the rest are 2022 and 2023 grads.

Our season is pushed back because the winter sports got pushed back and the don't want to have overlap.

First Practice (Pitchers and Catchers only):03/26/2021
First Practice:04/01/2021
First Scrimmage:04/08/2021
Opening Day:04/19/2021
Tournament Refusals Due:TBD
Cutoff:TBD
Entries Due (12:00pm):TBD
Seeding Meeting:TBD
Competition End:06/20/2021

HS in Texas has the normal start date, at least in my area. I have talked to a number of college players that have been working out at my son's teams facility. Some from D1s, D2, D3, JUCOs and NAIAs in TX, OK, LA, NM. All are going back and starting practice as scheduled except for one NAIA that has decided to cancel the season. What happens in the future is anyone's guess.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.