Skip to main content

I was talking to another baseball parent recently ,and we were chuckling about how much your perpective as a baseball parent changes over the years. In the first several years, so many things looked so important. Now...not so much.

Once you've seen your son play in a 100 games, you gain perspective. In the early years they play so few games, so you don't get close to the 100 game mark. So far in 2012, I believe my son has played in 55 games, with more games on the schedule. So the second 100 came much more quickly than the first 100.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I believe it took closer to 200 games before I gained perspective. So here's what I've learned so far:

Safety first.

Everyone involved has bad days (weeks/seasons): players, parents, umpires and coaches. Get over it.

My son does not want to hear me replay the game afterwards.

Being in the minors or batting 8th in grade school does not mean your son won't be starting and hitting in the 4 hole in high school.

Batting in the 4 hole in grade school doesn't mean your son will be able to hit a curve ball or an 80 mph pitch in high school.

The game belongs to the players, not the parents or the coaches.

Buy the best folding chair you can.

Make him wash his uniform.

There is a terrific baseball community.

So other members of the 100/200/300 (or more) club: what have you learned?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As a player I believe I'm a member of the somewhere between 500-600 club (that may be way off), but my brother is 12 and I go to some of his LL games and here are some things I notice while I'm there:

The result of a little league game means absolutely nothing. It honestly doesn't matter. Some of these LL parents are honestly hilarious to listen to when they complain at the umps at a LL game.

Especially when 13u comes around and you start playing alot more games, do not critique your kid about every AB. There's just too many AB's and games for that and that's the fastest way to make your kid not want to play baseball anymore.

Unless you are a legit coach that has been around awhile and can handle it, after 14u, do not coach your kid. There's a difference between being a dad and a coach. The worst thing that can happen is you start talking to your son differently in the dugout "Don't talk to me like that", "Do what I say", etc. There is give and take in a coach-player relationship, and you might talk to a coach differently than your dad, so don't put your kid in the position of having his dad be the coach. Baseball gets to be a tough sport. 15u is the perfect age to ease out of the picture and just become dad, not coach. I hope I was clear enough in how I said that.

Not all coaches are good. Not all parents' opinions are right. Some are both bad. Rarely are both right at the same time.

Don't ever talk about your kid like he's all that, because unless he's Harper, there will be some point along the way where he's not. Every point along my journey there has been a kid who was a fantastic player, but heard it every day, finally start to struggle, not be able to handle it, and just like that he falls off the map.

If his arm hurts listen to him.

Let him work out of slumps, they happen.

There's many more but those just came to me right away.
northwest

I hope parents are listening. One thing I'd adjust, is the age a dad no longer coaches a son...I honestly think up to 10 or 11, but at 12U level, he needs another person. Boys are starting puberty & going thru lots of changes...parents just need to start learning be fans & supporters...of the team!

twotex,
All the things you mention, but I took back the uniform washing thru HS.
from age 10-18, travel ball, age 18-22, College & from 2010-2012, Gameday. As of Jun 28, 2012 I get to watch on milb!
That's got to be over 100 games Wink !
Last edited by baseballmom
Between baseball and softball I'm in the well over 1000 club. One year I made it to about 120 baseball and softball games. In addition to the original poster I learned one important thing from each kid.

1) When I (11yo son at the time) said, "I said I sucked today. I didn't say I sucked. I'll be fine tomorrow." I learned as competitive as my son was/is he has a life outside baseball. Away from the park shut it down unless they start the discussion.

2) From my 14yo (at the time) daughter: "It's my game. Let me enjoy playing. You stick to coaching and enjoy watching." It can be hard to coach your kids at times, especially the teen years.

What I learned and my kids learned together: Every notch up the ladder there are plenty of players just as good. Be confident but humble. Let someone else tell you how good you are.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
So other members of the 100/200/300 (or more) club: what have you learned?

My wife and I are definetly in the 1000 club. All great thoughts so far in this thread. Those in the "club" don't sweat the small stuff. Relax and enjoy the game in that comfortable chair that twotex suggested. "Club" members know when it is time to get excited. This is a great thread.

I would add that we try to treat each of our (three) son's games the same. My oldest son's college game is just as important as my youngest son's jv high school or rec game. We try our best to get to all of them and treat them with the same importance. We don't make every game, but we try to cheer their teams on. Also, if my son(s) asks for advice from Mom or I, we give. Otherwise, we don't. It works well.
quote:
Safety first.

Always.

Everyone involved has bad days (weeks/seasons): players, parents, umpires and coaches. Get over it.

Don't just get over it. Expand upon it. Make sure that you know your role, you know how to combat the difficulties. Be sure to be introspective and realistic about yourself and your teammates. If you can do those things, the mistakes will make you a better player because you'll know how to fix them.

My son does not want to hear me replay the game afterwards.

If he does, he'll start the conversation. I promise Wink

Being in the minors or batting 8th in grade school does not mean your son won't be starting and hitting in the 4 hole in high school.

Being on the field is a blessing regardless of your role and regardless of your age. Its a wonderful game.

Batting in the 4 hole in grade school doesn't mean your son will be able to hit a curve ball or an 80 mph pitch in high school.

Complacency is failure's first cousin.

The game belongs to the players, not the parents or the coaches.

Or the umpires.

Buy the best folding chair you can.

Not a fan of the no-back bleachers???

Make him wash his uniform.

Unless he had a good game...

There is a terrific baseball community.

Yes, yes it is.

I've been played 100+ games a year since I was about 14. So consider me part of the four-digit club. A lot of people lose sight of the fact that baseball is a game. Its supposed to be fun. Parents should not be barriers to the experience, they should be part of the experience.

I'm going to disagree with northwest's outstanding post on just one item. The result of all games are important. Kids needs to learn at a young age how to adapt and adjust to adversity. If there's an inconsistent umpire, adjust. If there's a really good pitcher, adjust. If there's a few errors made by your teammates, adjust. Unruly parents should not be adjusted to, because it should never happen.

I'll echo fenwaysouth's post as well. ENJOY the ride. That pitch, that at-bat, that game...you'll never get those back. Embrace the experience and make it part of your family's life. If you do, it really is an amazing time.
I agree with most everything said.

Another thing I've learned is that you will never get the 10U parent to understand half of what is stated above. In the 8U to 12U years every at bat, pitch and game is a matter of life, death and family pride to most parents.

Listen for the loudest crowd at a baseball complex, it will usually be coming from a small field.
With my 2013, I am at around 500 so far, give or take.

While reading this, I was having the same thoughts as "fillsfan" and he beat me to it. I remember before high school, we would think about how much the results and wins mattered. Those bad days were rough, especially on him having me as a coach. "The dreaded ride home." I still remember making the mistake of telling my wife that every player will hit a wall and not get better. Whether it be at 40 years old as a future hall of famer, or at 12 when you learn you cant hit a curve ball. Every bad game it seemed, she would ask me if he hit the wall.

Since he got into high school, I seemed to learn to just enjoy watching him and his teammates play the game. Rough outing? Meh, he gets to pitch again in a few days. But while it seems the results dont bother me, the recruiting process does. but I guess that will take care of itself as the summer/fall wind down.

I dont remember if this has been said, but my advise is to never complain in front of your son. Whether it be the umpires, his coaches, or even his teammates. If you talk about what a fool his coach is, it gives him a built in excuse as to why he isnt meeting his goals.

And yes, fillsfan, those fans that cheer loudly for their son and their son only sure start to stand out as you get older.
quote:
Originally posted by fillsfan:
I agree with most everything said.

Another thing I've learned is that you will never get the 10U parent to understand half of what is stated above. In the 8U to 12U years every at bat, pitch and game is a matter of life, death and family pride to most parents.

Listen for the loudest crowd at a baseball complex, it will usually be coming from a small field.
When we had a break at Bicentennial West I loved watching 10U Arsenal games. Many of these parents thought their kids were locks for college baseball because of the Arsenal 17U placement record.
quote:

My son played in a collegiate league this summer and often there was a 14U/15U game on an adjacent field. I must admit that I miss the 'noise'.

While we had a handful of collegiate parents watching the game with an occasional clap or 'good play', the 14u/15u crowd showed up with umbrellas and ice chests wearing team logos and cheering every play like it was an ESPN Top 10.

Ahh...the good old days.... Smile
Nice to hear from you Hawk! Sent you a PM.

Only have one son but closing in the 300-400 range. Did Coach him until 14U ( LL, Club , PONY) and had to let go before HS. Underwent the HS roller coaster, recruiting etc..and came out as a tighter family. Spending a lot of quality time together and just watching his games this summer before he heads out next mo and we feel the impending empty nest. The only good thing is that this will be our first and last time to undergo this.

Hopefully, all the times and memories we have spent together as family will carry him over at least until he comes back for a prolonged period during the winter break and we can work on a few things before the spring of 2013.

Really have appreciated how he has grown to be a young man. I am fully satisfied to be his biggest fan ( together with my wife), be his workout mate, Live arm guy, fungo guy, life coach, best friend and just his dad!

Looking forward to watch all the games we could from this point going forward.
quote:
Originally posted by 20dad:
i don't know how many games i watched or was part of. through 2 boys, LL,BR, legion ,hs, milb, indy.tons of ball.

we grew to learn many many lessons. The biggest thing i learned...i like my boy's. always love em, but i like them as people. to hang with.watch games with, etc. priceless.

For those who may not know, 20dad is battling mesothelioma. I have never met 20dad. Only read and been touched to my core by his posts.
20dad...why I believe there truly are friends and people with hearts as big as this world...people who have posted on this site for many years.
Never met 20dad. He is in cyberspace but such a beautiful illustration of how cyberspace in concert with the HSBBW touches hearts and lives in amazing ways.
I can literally feel the love of 20dad for his boys, his family and baseball in this post.
Last edited by infielddad
Yeah, when you last this long (and get real perspective) you realize there are magical moments, and then there are The Truly Magical Moments.

These come to mind:

- That first early Saturday morning tourney game after he gets license, and is able to drive himself to warm-ups an hour ahead of time. And you and the Mrs. get to come staggering up with your lawn-chairs and McDonald's coffee just in time for the coin-toss, and to get your "Who's-in-the-line-up?" debriefing from the 15 y/o's parents. Awesome.

- When your son fires you from being his catcher for off-day bull-pins because he realizes its getting too dangerous, because the fastballs are moving too much, the sliders are ruining your shins, and he's holding back too much. That was kind of bittersweet.

- When your buddy from work notices you across the 4-plex from his kid's LL game, and he walks over to watch your son playing in the "Big-boy" game. Then he starts asking you all those idiotic wide-eyed wonderment questions about what its like at this level, and you get to stand there doing the Yoda act, as if you're really the one who's accomplished anything. (Admit it...you ate it up)

- When his girlfriend gets bored and realizes she can't handle showing up to every.single.stinking.game. Then the batting average immediately returns to normal.

- That moment when you realize you don't even know who his current fall-ball league coach is, and you haven't been spazzing out to go understand his philosophy, what he thinks of your kid, what college coaches he knows, blah blah blah. But you realize its no big deal, because everybody's doing just fine.

- When you finally stop yelling "oh Come-ONNNN !!!" at Bad Calls, and start seeing Missed Calls as an opportunity for the sublime zinger. You'll know you've arrived when you get an umpire to look at you and grin because he can't help it.
Last edited by wraggArm
quote:
Originally posted by wraggArm:
- When your son fires you from being his catcher for off-day bull-pins because he realizes its getting too dangerous, because the fastballs are moving too much, the sliders are ruining your shins, and he's holding back too much. That was kind of bittersweet.

I had to fire myself. He buzzed my hair once with a 4SFB (after a CB). I was terrified.
We had a great picture in my son's room he wanted removed. He felt is was a little kid's picture. It shows the physical maturity step by step of a tee baller morphing into a grown player. I look at the picture and see my son. I'm not sure where to put the picture. But it's not getting thrown away.
quote:
When your son fires you from being his catcher for off-day bull-pins because he realizes its getting too dangerous, because the fastballs are moving too much, the sliders are ruining your shins, and he's holding back too much. That was kind of bittersweet.

Not there yet, but I have been ask son to move further and further away beyond 60ft while catching for him. My excuse to him is to develop his arms; but the primary reason is for my own safety.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.