Skip to main content

Excerpts from the full story:

With the score at 94-53, he called time with exactly 1 minute left and ordered his players to spread the floor and not take a shot. SL star Naadir Ginyard (34 points, six treys) twice made steals thereafter, raising his total to seven, and zoomed in for layups.

When SL coach Matt Kay was asked what he thought of Greene's gesture, he beamed and said, "I loved it."

"We did score 100 in [a recent game]," Greene said, "and our kids were jumping up and down. Today they were saying, 'We're gonna score 100 again!' I told them, 'No, you're not.' We're not out here to humiliate people.

"We played our second- and third-unit guys 70 percent of the game and still had 94. Without pressing."

"This has been a difficult season," said Kay, whose team was 1-14 in the league. "We're very young. Just trying to build. At least we've boiled things down to the kids who really want to be here. I wish we had more games. We need the experience."

"We knew they wouldn't be too competitive," Gordon said. "We just tried to not take them lightly. Once we saw how it was going to work out, we just wanted to show good sportsmanship. Get our win and leave."

Greene waved his second five onto the floor with the score at 14-4.

"Coach wanted the starters to have some fun, then go with the subs," Gordon said.

It was a wonderful plan. Especially in this situation.

full story

** The dream is free. Work ethic sold separately. **

Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.