Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Colin Powell said it the best..... "We have gone forth from our shores repeatedly over the last hundred years and we’ve done this as recently as the last year in Afghanistan and put wonderful young men and women at risk, many of whom have lost their lives, and we have asked for nothing except enough ground to bury them in.........
Today is a special day to honor soldiers here and gone. I too thank all those who serve to protect the freedoms we enjoy. You have my sincere thoughts this day.

I think often about my late father’s service under Patton in WWII and then his service later in Korea. Like most veterans from the greatest generation, my father did not talk much about his service. But the story that stands out the most in my mind is the invasion of Sicily. Dad said he went 3 weeks straight without changing his undershorts. He loved Patton and said one great thing about fighting for him was that they never had time to sit around and worry about tomorrow, as they were always moving forward.

So when my son or I get down, including baseball or life in general, all we say to each other is “at least you got to change your underwear today” and we know how little sacrifice we have compared to what Grandpa went through. It puts things in perspective pretty fast.

God bless those fallen and those that will fall, for giving us the life we enjoy today.
Today is a very special day for me. In fact it is the most special day of the year for me. My dad was a career military man. He walked out of the tobacco fields of Henderson, NC and joined the Army just in time for the Korean War. He later would serve as an advisor in the Vietnam war and earn a bronze and silver star while in country. He also had a couple of purple hearts as well. I remember well the day he came home for Christmas from Vietnam and we all were so excited to see him.

As time passed by and we all grew up dad rarely talked about his time in Korea or Vietnam. Only when us boys pressed him for details would he open up about it. And the conversation would always end with tears in his eyes and how much he loved his country. He would always say "The only heroes in war are the ones that never came home. All the heroes are still over there."

I remember going to a game with him and during the national anthem tears came down his face. I never said a word. I had a huge lump in my throat and my heart was full of pride just knowing he was my dad.

My dad passed away October the 25, 2000 from lung cancer. He was told he had 6 months to a year to live. He lived five years after he was diagnosed. He not one time complained. Not one time did he say why me. Three days before he died he told me "I have been living on borrowed time for almost 50 years. I got a whole lot more time than those other boys in Korea did. And they deserved it a whole lot more than I did."

When I look at the flag when this day comes around I think of all the men that heard the call and answered it. Of all the young men and women who have gone before and are doing it today. And it makes me proud to know that I am an American. What we have was not given to us. It was paid for with the blood of many that we will never know or never hear about. Freedom and Liberty is not free. Thank God for those willing to serve. They are America.
Coach May,

Very touching story about your dad, thanks for sharing with us...

Backstop-17,

Your dad left us all with some great perspective in life! I'm thankful for him and Coach May's dad, and all of the other men and women that have served and are currently serving our country.

For those that have had family members give their lives for our freedom, we remember and we are ever so thankful...I've had a nice holiday weekend with my family, and the fact that this is Memorial Day is not lost with me...Thanks Again!
I spent last weekend with my best friend who still carries a lead reminder in his hip at an event called LZ Lambeau in Green Bay which was the official WI homecoming for the Vietnam Veterans which for some unknown reason has been ignored for 40 years Frown . Besides that weekend being highly emotional, this last week has been tough on me personally because I've felt a lot of guilt for not "backing my brothers" when they needed it most. Shame on me, and shame on many others of my generation for our selfishness.

I was the DD for 10 Vietnam Vets from the Madison area in a 12 man passenger van. I sat in the background around a campfire for two nights as they shared stories, nightmares, laughs, and tears about their experiences in SE Asia and the personal war when they came home. I ran out of tears as I watched 10 MEN dig deep in their souls looking for forgiveness for the carnage they were a part of and acceptance for the actions of Americas cold shoulder when they returned. It's amazing what darkness lurks in the back of minds while sharing bottles of Jack and sitting around a fire without the worry of "candy coating" the experience. Forget about Aaron, Mays, and those who play games...I now have real heroes from all conflicts, past, present, and future to look up to.

Let this be a lesson for future generations that in order for our "American way" we have to "Pay to Play" and not to forget those who risk their lives to do the dirty work.

Here is a link for a short video clip from the weekend.

LZ at Lambeau
Last edited by rz1

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.